Talk

Advanced search

Got a college formal dinner to go to, as well as DH's Christmas do's... so please rate my dress options!

(18 Posts)
AngelinaJolly Fri 06-Nov-09 22:14:32

...oh and while you're here- how would you accessorise them? (what colour tights/ shoes etc)

Toast dress

I.O. dress in black-don't think I can do red

White co, a bit dull??

smile

AngelinaJolly Fri 06-Nov-09 22:17:37

try again... Toast dress (Iona shift dress)

geordieminx Fri 06-Nov-09 22:17:40

First link doesnt work.

Really like IO dress in red - its christmas - you can get away with it.

WC one - Meh. VEY DULL.

Go for the red... You know you want to

gigglewitch Fri 06-Nov-09 22:17:47

toast site's crashed!!

JANEITEluddite Fri 06-Nov-09 22:18:02

I can't see the Toast one and don't like the IO one. I do like the WC one - how about with gunmetal grey tights and pewter shoes?

geordieminx Fri 06-Nov-09 22:18:40

Iona ok - but more lunch with girls than xmas party IMO, although it might be better in RL

hatesponge Fri 06-Nov-09 22:21:08

Cant get the first link to come up.

I love the second one...only slight reservation is the risk of the sleeves ending up in your dinner (possibly you are more elegant than me and this is an unlikely possibility)

3rd one is a bit safe.

so 2nd one is my choice but bear in mind havent actually seen the first!

As to accessories, what colouring are you? What colours do you like? I'd be tempted to g for red shoes with the 2nd dress.

hatesponge Fri 06-Nov-09 22:23:23

dont like the toast one at all.

so definitely the IO one. The red is fab though.....would you really not wear that rather than black?

As GM said, it IS christmas........ grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 06-Nov-09 22:28:23

The red looks far too long. I think unless you're tall, it's going to be mid shin.

Which is not good.

the toast dress is expensive and shapeless. And looks like a day dress, not for a formal dinner.

The WC dress is ok but safe. At least you could dress it up a bit.

AngelinaJolly Fri 06-Nov-09 22:31:05

oooh, mixed opinions...

Sponge- I'm pale olive with mid brown hair and dark eyes (pasty, shorter version of the gorgeous model). I think I'm tall enough for dress 2 and I'm a careful eater wink

Geordieminx- I do so love the red but I want to wear the dress rather than the dress wear me. I think I'm not dark enough for that bright a red? <safe emoticon>

Janeite- I live the idea of pewter w dress 3. Accessories can make all the difference- but where does one find pewter shoes? <flat shoe/ toddler chaser emoticon!>

Any votes for the Toast dress?- typical me to get the wrong link up.

JANEITEluddite Fri 06-Nov-09 22:34:35

Sorry - I know nothing about shoes as I detest shoes: I just thought it sounded good! I bet there are shoe-people out there who could find some though.

Have just seen the Toast dress and don't like it, sorry.

lowrib Fri 06-Nov-09 22:35:50

I like the toast one.

AngelinaJolly Fri 06-Nov-09 22:37:32

bless, janeite, thanks anyway

hatesponge Fri 06-Nov-09 22:45:48

lol at being a careful eater

I think with your colouring you could easily wear the red & look great, but if you're unsure maybe stick with black - you have to feel at ease with what you're wearing.

I was trying to find pewter shoes last month to wear to a wedding, trust me its not easy! Gave up in the end and wore some old silver ones I already had...so I cant be any help either!

JANEITEluddite Fri 06-Nov-09 22:57:02

Okay - keeping in mind that I hate both shoes and Next, there seem to be quite few pairs on the Next site:
here but I don't like them

Monsoon but I don't like these either

bit mad but I quite like them

pointydogg Fri 06-Nov-09 23:01:46

The toast dress is terrible. It doesn't look flattering on the model so that would rule out any dress. The green hem looks rumpled. No.

The IO dress looks fab. Very flattering.

WC - hard to tell because the model is sitting down innit. May well be a bit dull.

VerityBrulee Sat 07-Nov-09 09:59:13

The IO dress is gorgeous - you HAVE to go for that one smile

AngelinaJolly Sat 07-Nov-09 16:14:05

OK, the general consensus seems to be for the IO dress and that the Toast dress is a no-go. (I still love the print on it)

I think the IO dress would be more flattering and good for my shape...
So I'm thinking sheer tights and black patent (chunky-ish/ platformy?) heels would go best (with either red or black dress).

But where do I find them? And have I missed the boat ito patent?

Can't remember the last time I bought substantial heels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now