Talk

Advanced search

So what do you wear if you have to dress smart for work but it's pissing down with rain?

(14 Posts)
LowLevelWhingeing Fri 06-Nov-09 14:51:43

I normally live in trainers but in the new year I'll be going on a work placement where I'll be required to dress as if I am a Smart Person. So, being really short, I'm thinking trousers are the way forward - but what do you wear on your feet in British winter? Or should I just go for long skirt and boots?

This morning I had to be a Smart Person so I wore the trousers ballet type flats thing, but it all just looked a bit insubstantial for the hurricane weather.

To restrict the brief a bit more, I can't walk in heels (I blame my dad for not letting me have heels as a child hmm)

PuppyMonkey Fri 06-Nov-09 14:53:43

Can't beat skirt and boots - more flattering to your figure too than trousers. And you need a nice umbrella too.

Lonicera Fri 06-Nov-09 14:57:52

Skirt, boots and a rain coat . Take shoes to change into if necessary

LowLevelWhingeing Fri 06-Nov-09 15:10:48

aaaah right, it's a skirt I should be wearing! I do quite like a skirt.

hf128219 Fri 06-Nov-09 15:14:52

Dresses are so much easier! And smarter.

PyrotechnicToadstool Fri 06-Nov-09 15:15:35

Yep, dresses.

pleasechange Fri 06-Nov-09 15:18:13

dresses and boots are great
But you can wear boots with trousers too! I have short boots which I wear with smart black trousers for work in winter

Monty100 Fri 06-Nov-09 15:18:54

I wear a skirt and boots when its raining, I'm a short ass and trousers usually get soaked around the hem.

Quite like a nice raincoat and a hat too!

LowLevelWhingeing Fri 06-Nov-09 16:34:01

so I've just hammered my switch card and binged on skirts and tops smile

I've an interview next week so quite looking forward to it now I can wear some nice ish things.

Thanks y'all!

JANEITEluddite Fri 06-Nov-09 17:11:54

What did you buy?

Skirt and boots is deffo the way forward, plus a decent raincoat and a big brolly. I've yet to find a hat but am bumping this in the hope that somebody can point you to one. A lovely brolly can really help to lift a rainy day so go beyond black if you possibly can!

LowLevelWhingeing Fri 06-Nov-09 19:10:56

I got this

and this

strayed from the brief a bit here

and some other stuff that is far to work-y to bother posting!

They're all rather sombre with the plan to warm them up with some lovely jewel coloured tops/cardis...

NorkilyChallenged Fri 06-Nov-09 20:21:59

I recently got a dress for work after years as a black-trousers-and-top person. I got this one and after a while psyching myself up to it, I now wear it once a week and love it. Had lots of nice comments too.

V easy to wear with bright pink/teal/red underneath, opaques and boots or shoes (though I do have a heel on shoes but not on boots)

JANEITEluddite Fri 06-Nov-09 20:38:41

Jewel coloured cardigans sound good. Let me know if you find any nice ones.

EightiesChick Fri 06-Nov-09 20:47:42

If you're really short it is far easier to do skirt and boots than trousers, as getting a trouser suit short enough in the legs is a right pain in the arse ankles. So good move. Get a nice jacket and you're sorted. Dresses, especially wool dresses or jersey wrap dresses, are always good too and practical, plus you can throw a smart cardy on top for mega cold days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now