Talk

Advanced search

What would you wear?

(12 Posts)
BornToFolk Fri 06-Nov-09 12:49:36

I need an outfit to do me for two functions. First is my work's Christmas do, a very tedious lunch plus crap disco affair but most people do dress up a bit for it.

Secondly, is much more fun, a dinner out with my best girlfriends. We're going to a fairly nice restaurant.

What would you wear to those two occasions?

I'd normally do some kind of black trouser/nice top combination but I'm bored to death of that and need inspiration!

I'm size 14, 5'7", pearshaped, rarely wear skirts or dresses but am considering it.

BikeRunSki Fri 06-Nov-09 13:06:31

OMG I couldv'e written that, every detail.

I got a lovely pinky-red dress from Bravvissimo (I am ample of nork) that did these kind of things in the summer. Bit light for the winter though, but in principle, i would look for something like tha again. Nice colour (I look fab in it), fitted top, full skirt, sort of prom dressey, but not so stiff.

Let's see

How about this for day-to-night
Dress 1

Dress 2

Anyway, got work to do, but I woudl go for a dress. Maybe a pattern?

www.bravissimo.com/products/clothing/dresses-and-skirts/bravissimo/fo01-details.aspx Other dress shops are available......

BikeRunSki Fri 06-Nov-09 13:07:24

Last link again

bonfirewithaheartofgold Fri 06-Nov-09 13:15:41

so neither occasion particularly dressy? can tell you what i'd wear: this dress with plain black leggings and these boots in black.

dress is sold out but if you like it at all bet we could find you something similar.

bonfirewithaheartofgold Fri 06-Nov-09 13:20:08

have to say i have a major hankering for this dress which would suit a pear and could wear with bright tights/leggings to life it a bait, but it's prolly overpriced for what it is (although i reckon it will look better in the flesh than it does on that dummy).

bonfirewithaheartofgold Fri 06-Nov-09 13:20:40

to life it a bait? hmm

think i meant lift it a bit

BornToFolk Fri 06-Nov-09 13:23:50

Funny you should say that BikeRunSki. I was flicking through the new Bravissimo catalogue (am also ample of nork!) but I'm not very inspired. Their dresses a nice but a bit plain. Though I do like the first one you linked to.

Bonfire, no neither particularly dressy but I want to look like I've made a bit of an effort. I really like that Topshop dress. Typical that it's sold out! I'm going to browse the Topshop website now though...

BornToFolk Fri 06-Nov-09 13:28:30

Oooh, that second one is nice but way too short. My legs are horrific (which is why I usually wear trousers).

bonfirewithaheartofgold Fri 06-Nov-09 13:35:36

nothing like the one you said you liked but this just stopped me short on my travels. would look great on someone with a decent figure (not me, not curvy enough). being pearshaped can be tricky with dresses though, i find only elasticated ones really work for me, otherwise the tops just bag off or it hangs on the hips.

NorkilyChallenged Fri 06-Nov-09 13:43:35

I think this dress would look good on you but is maybe not quite dressy enough for the occasions you are talking about...

This one if you like bolder patterns?

I love this one and keep going back to it but it's too dressy for anything I would go to. Might not work if you're really pear-shaped but lovely if you're a bit more hourglass? (It's black in real life, I've looked at it, but looks brown on the screen)

bonfirewithaheartofgold Fri 06-Nov-09 13:57:19

hmm have been searching my usual haunts looking for something similar to the first topshop dress but drawn a blank. odd.

NorkilyChallenged Fri 06-Nov-09 20:30:03

Admittedly nowhere near as nice as the Top Shop one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now