Talk

Advanced search

Need a decent hairdresser in London - maybe Hackney / Islington. Suggestions gratefully received!

(13 Posts)
lowrib Wed 04-Nov-09 17:41:09

I have yet another haircut which isn't really me, and I've decided, that really was the last time I go to my current hairdresser!

Can anyone recommend a decent hairdresser in Hackney / Islington or somewhere not too far away?

I suspect I'm not the easiest customer as I'm never really sure exactly what I want, so ideally I'd like to find someone who is up for a bit of a chat before the haircut and is good at knowing what would suit. My MIL's hairdresser is brilliant, she did great job last time I was up there, I went in with not really a clue what I wanted, and she just seemed to know how to cut my hair in a way which really suited me. But she's 500 miles away unfortunately!

TIA grin

30andLurking Wed 04-Nov-09 17:44:40

Pricy, but worth every penny I very occasionally spend with them (which is NOT every 8 weeks, oh no no!), have a look at Taylor Taylor in Spitalfields.
The (non-stylist) service can be a bit hit and miss, but it's a very cool salon, in an East London shabby chic way, they give you a free drink or two, and the cuts are excellent. See if you can get a special offer, they have them sometimes.

Ooh, and did I mention the free drinks...?!

lowrib Thu 05-Nov-09 01:13:43

Ooh free drinks!! grin

They are a little on the pricey side, but I'll probably give them a go next time I feel flush, thanks grin.

They've got a 20% off voucher on their website for new customers. Sadly it's only this month though and I don't think I can justify another haircut just now sad

JJ Thu 05-Nov-09 07:41:13

I had a massive change in September. Had an idea in my head about what I wanted and the guy sat me down with magazines, told me to pick out photos I liked and then we discussed each one. He said "Noooooo" to my first one as it wouldn't suit me (I found that reassuring) and I've ended up with a cut that a lot of people have commented on in a good way. smile (I went from long, scraggly and usually pulled back to short and I have very curly hair.) He did the colour, too, which is fantastic.

Oops, nearly forgot to say who it was - a local guy, Barry at Mr Russo. It's not a posh salon but is Aveda, so the stuff's nice. They do good facials, too and if you need your eyebrows done, you can get them threaded a few doors down at Sensational Nails.

cleaningsucks Thu 05-Nov-09 08:32:48

jo at charlotte murray in muswell hill is brilliant. charlotte is utterly bonkers though, so don't book her. its about £50 i think and well worth it.

hackneyzoo Thu 05-Nov-09 08:53:11

Ruby Blue on Newington Green are good and reasonably priced, Tony and Guy in Angel aren't bad either, use them both intermittently.

BiscuitStuffer Thu 05-Nov-09 09:07:44

Alix works from his home in Stoke Newington and is fabulous - he was also the stylist for the muscial 'Chicago'. 07968 434 955 - he's Toni & Guy trained but a total artist.

or

Louise in 'Cuts Too' at the Highbury end of Upper St. Fabulous and listens and remembers.

Both very reasonable for London (both about £40).

Adair Thu 05-Nov-09 09:12:21

I go to Beaucatcher in Stoke Newington, and use Karen. She is French so not much small talk (good for me, I just take a book/daydream). I just waved at her 'do whatever, make it look nice' and yes, she certainly does! She also manages to take into account my lifestyle (ie she can see I don't do anything with it!!) and like others have said, remembers. Have used others there and always been happy but really like Karen. And I am a bit hairdresser phobic...

Think it's £38 for cut and blowdry.

christiana Thu 05-Nov-09 09:16:22

Message withdrawn

ilovegreenbeans Thu 05-Nov-09 12:27:43

Idol Hair in Victoria Park Villiage is great. I usually see Greta, although lots of my friends use Christina and their hair always looks fab too. I think they're £35 for cut and style. www.idolhair.com

8oreighty Thu 05-Nov-09 12:45:37

nina is really good...she does Kylie! I have known her for about 15 years now. she's not just funky, does normal stuff too...but very good at telling you what will look good.

exhaustednurse Thu 05-Nov-09 15:59:59

I used to go to Idol hair too when living in East London..Christina was my hairdresser for 3+ years....she is fab, without doubt best colourist I ever had.

lowrib Fri 06-Nov-09 22:21:30

Wow what a lot of of responses! That's brilliant grin. There must be at least one hairdresser there who can work some magic on me!

I'm really looking forward to trying them out actually, thanks everyone. Mind you I only tend to get my hair done about 3 times a year, so if I try all of them that'll do me for the next 3 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now