Talk

Advanced search

Frugal style and beauty tips please.....

(22 Posts)
Mcdreamy Wed 04-Nov-09 14:51:02

OK, so DH and I have finally bought the family home after moving with the forces from quarter to quarter ever since we were married and I am sooooooo excited about this BUT with this goes the big fat mortgage sad. It's not going to break the bank but it does mean we are going to have to be sensible when spending our cash.

The thing is I am 38 with 3 children and I feel like a bloody frump sad The school run outfit is a joke, jeans and a jumper/t shirt with boots is my standard uniform. I get my hair cut regularly but never find the time to dry it properly and so end up not helping "my look"! Make-up? Got loads but never wear it. Pay for monthly contact lenses but never wear them, hate wearing glasses.

I need a make over but a frugal/sensible one when it comes to the cash! grin

RubyrubyrubyScaryBin Wed 04-Nov-09 14:52:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mcdreamy Wed 04-Nov-09 14:54:16

Thanks Ruby that's really erm.......helpful and has made me feel loads better hmm

Take your points but was just trying to set the scene smile

LaurieScaryCake Wed 04-Nov-09 14:54:34

what ruby said

why do you need a make-over, you sound just fine (though a bit dippy not using the assets you're already paying for grin)

RubyrubyrubyScaryBin Wed 04-Nov-09 14:57:43

Amandoh Wed 04-Nov-09 15:33:44

Try Nivea Sunkissed Skin. It's a body moisturiser but is brilliant for the face too. Apply at night at least an hour before going to bed to allow it sink in properly and you'll have a subtle glow by morning. No need for any make-up on your face. Just flick of eyeliner on upper lash line and some mascara and you'll look fab.

Mcdreamy Wed 04-Nov-09 15:46:08

Yeah sorry Ruby you and Laurie both have valid points - I kind of answered my own question didn't I? blush

Thanks for the Nivea tip, a healthy glow is a good start grin

VerityBrulee Wed 04-Nov-09 15:51:18

The key to dressing well at this time of the year is a good coat, no-one knows whats underneath! I finally ditched my black puffa and bought myself a raspberry pink coat, the colour really suits me, gives my pale skin a glow and boosts my mood. I have had the same boots for a couple of years, they were expensive but I bought them in the sale, and I look after them.

I can wear the coat dressed up with a skirt and boots and dressed down with jeans and converse. I can wear it unbelted or with a leather belt I already had. Look for a colour that suits you and a versatile shape.

What length is your hair? I wash mine in the evening, blow dry the fringe, put some leave in conditioner in the rest and tie it back. In the morning I untie it and it's lovely smile

Amandoh's self tan, some lip gloss and you'll be loooking great!

Mcdreamy Wed 04-Nov-09 15:54:20

My hair is short but I am trying to grow it so I can do the tied back or loose look. I straighten it at the moment otherwise I get big wavy hair grin

VerityBrulee Wed 04-Nov-09 15:58:34

I had short hair and it was so much work, have a mid lenght bob now and it's much easier to get it looking good.

RubyrubyrubyScaryBin Wed 04-Nov-09 17:50:02

Mcdreamy Wed 04-Nov-09 18:03:47

lol Ruby! Do you dye your hair yourself? Would you recommend a brand? My hair is quite blond in the summer but can be a bit mousey looking in the winter. How do you pick a colour? Can you tell I am a style and beauty novice grin?

SparklyAlice Wed 04-Nov-09 18:11:09

Vaseline rosey lips lip balm is a godsend.

Can you get a haircut that is lower maintanence?

Wearing clothes that fit you and suit your body shape are way more important than fashion.

Eyebrows that are neatly plucked but natural looking can really transform how you look.

I think you sound like you are almost there, just need a confidence boost. Wear clothes that make you feel good, put some jewellery on to add some sparkle, and smile smile

Mcdreamy Wed 04-Nov-09 18:14:11

I finally had my eyebrows waxed today after weeks of meaning to do them and I think it's just highlighted how little care I take of myself. Really appreciate the replies - going to put the kids to bed and have a "me' evening grin

MrsDinky Wed 04-Nov-09 18:22:49

Hi,I don't usually post on here, but was just passing by.
I just changed who I got my monthly contact lenses from "big name high street optician" to Asda online and saved about £17 a month.

DottyDot Wed 04-Nov-09 18:28:05

oooh - how about one of my favourite websites - for if you want to buy some make up but haven't got lots of dosh - I love it - most things are £1.50 and are ordinary size, so you can order a few things for the price of one item in the shops.

ELF

I'm not any kind of make up expert but the stuff I've got so far seems good - the mineral foundation I think is £3.50 and really good - tons cheaper than similar stuff in shops.

(might have to go and have another look now! grin)

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 04-Nov-09 18:41:53

<<lurks for suggestions>>

Hey McD - You look better than me smile

LetThemEatCake Wed 04-Nov-09 19:26:02

A slouchy beanie/ woolly hat. Essential for the mornings when you've no time for your hair!

I've found the Oil Cleansing Method (tons of threads on it) to be great for my skin, and has made skincare costs virtually negligible.

I don't wear makeup. Bit of Vaseline on the lips and to groom eyebrows, bit of Neals Yard wild rose beauty balm to give skin a sheen and glow, that's it. Saves time and money!

Get your eyebrows threaded every 4 weeks and maintain with tweezers betweentimes.

TheCrackFox Wed 04-Nov-09 19:39:22

Oi, LetThemEatCake, keep quiet about the slouchy hat thing or everyone will work out that 2/5 mornings I can't be arsed to do my hair. grin

Bonsoir Wed 04-Nov-09 19:49:53

Dye your eyelashes at home with a Dylash kit from Boots. Cheap and very effective, and only requires a 20 minutes time investment every month to six weeks.

TheCrackFox Wed 04-Nov-09 19:57:48

I've recently started waxing my eyebrows at home. Not quite as perfect as a salon but cheaper and quicker.

poppyandmax Wed 04-Nov-09 20:13:24

Get some fab new glasses and ditch the costly lenses, saving money and time faffing with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now