Talk

Advanced search

Where are 'real' UGG boots made? Austrailia, New Zealand or China???? Help settle an argument!

(22 Posts)
punchandjudy Tue 03-Nov-09 21:39:08

We have differeing views! Is it China/Australia or NZ??

TIA!

TheCrackFox Tue 03-Nov-09 21:43:17

The label inside mine says China but Uggs is an Australian company.

fishie Tue 03-Nov-09 21:43:17

ugg used to be a generic name for sheepskin boots in australia.

15 years ago a friend came back from there and said ooh they are lovely i should start up an import business. we laughed at their elephantine feet. oops.

punchandjudy Tue 03-Nov-09 21:48:27

I read that UGGs are made in china with Australian sheepskin...but don't know if thats true.

The Crackfox..are yours real uggs? Did you buy them off a website or from a 'proper' shop a la John Lewis?

punchandjudy Tue 03-Nov-09 21:49:24

lol fishie..think you missed the boat there!

punchandjudy Tue 03-Nov-09 21:57:35

Anymore opinions?

PDRlovesbiscuits Tue 03-Nov-09 22:06:22

Mine say "Ugg Australia" on the label inside the boot but no "Made in ...".

Suspect China though...

TheCrackFox Tue 03-Nov-09 22:14:09

They are proper Uggs from Jenners (posh shop in Edinburgh)

PDRlovesbiscuits Tue 03-Nov-09 22:16:17

No I mean I suspect they are all made in China lol.

Not suspect your Uggs!

joliejolie Tue 03-Nov-09 22:28:45

Ugg Australia (the trendy brand) is an American company, not Australian. The company just copied the idea and ran with it.
Most of the boots are made in China though. Of course, they are an American company and want to make as large a profit as possible.

Ugg boots are just an Ozzy term and you can find better quality boots than Ugg Australia on some Australian sites.

gumblossom Tue 03-Nov-09 22:30:12

Ugg boots are originally from Australia.I think the original designer had to go to court to fight an American company over the name.I think the American company won and now the name "Ugg" can't be used.Thay have to call them "sheepskin" boots. This is all heresay, so don't quote me.
I also think the name "Ugg" came from "ugly".So they are an Aussie idea (I am proudly Australian) which has been stolen by everyone else.
Not sure what a Kiwi would say to that?!
Anyway, I wouldn't be without mine.However, it's an unwritten law in our house that Ugg boots are for inside, not for out and about.

LaurieScaryCake Tue 03-Nov-09 22:31:02

"Real" Uggs made by the American company Deckers are made in China

Fake uggs are made everywhere.

The best Uggs are made by the Celtic Sheepskin company. wink

Ugg boots are a generic boot made by many companies.

PrammyMammy Tue 03-Nov-09 22:37:16

My Ugg Australia boots say 'Made in China' inside both pairs. Classics were from Jenners and Cardys from Schuh so both are authentic.
I am sure i read somewhere though that you can get 'ultra tall' classics that are only made in NZ, not China, and that they used to all be made in NZ when they had the sheep head on the label (years ago i guess? It is a sheeps head isn't it?) But that could be totally wrong.

gumblossom Tue 03-Nov-09 22:58:50

Here's something I found on the net, being a fiercely proud Aussie, can't let you go on thinking otherwise:

"History of Ugg Boots

Ug, ugh, ugg boots or simply sheepskin boots no matter how you spell them have a unique Australian history which has recently undergone intense scrutiny. Many believe ugg boots were a creation of Australia surfers. After spending all day in cold waters the sheepskin boots were great at quickly warming feet while still being very light and easy to wear. Until the last decade we’ve known ugg boots to be fairly common and few Australian’s consider them fashion accessories. As Australian’s we consider them to be somewhat of a cultural icon, you’ll spot a pair at every beach shopping centre and cricket game. Sporting a mullet, flannelette shirt, tight blue jeans and ugg boots would be fairly standard attire for millions of Australians during the 80’s. Something happened during the late 90’s though. Ugg Boots became popular in the United States.
Designed for comfort and Warmth

Ugg boots were not made to warn as a general purpose boot. There design purpose was focused solely around warming feet as quickly as possible. The entire boot is constructed from sheepskin (excluding the rubber sole of course) which is extremely comfortable but just not capable of withstanding any type of hiking or industrial use. Ugg boots are designed to be warn casually and will wear much faster than traditional footwear.
Why are ugg boots popular?

Pamela wore them on Bay Watch, Oprah recommended them as Christmas gift or any one of another dozen theories speculate why they became popular. In any case our Australia cultural icons became hot fashion and have continued to grow in popularity for the last decade. Today hundreds of stores run out of stock a month before Christmas, people camp outside boutique ugg boot retailers waiting for stock and profiteers sell pairs on ebay for $700AU. Ironically the largest ugg boot company is an American owned company called UGG Australia"

SueW Tue 03-Nov-09 23:11:17

I have Celtic Sheepskin boots.

DD has Ugg Australia boots.

I actually prefer the inner wool on hers but it doesn't really matter. This time of year they are lovely to slip feet into.

DH has sheepskin lined wellies from Celtic Sheepskin. They are quite luxurious!

punchandjudy Wed 04-Nov-09 13:41:23

Thank you everyone...trying to decide to risk buying a pair from ebay who obviously say they are genuine and are made in China....but are probably fakes...

Or save up for a proper pair...

Decisions decisions!

cahu Thu 05-Nov-09 10:47:13

Punchandjudy, I bought a fab pair on a website last year. Cost about £50 and can see no difference to the pair dd has which I paid £170 for! Came in box, with shoe bag etc and the sole has not gone slippery like the really cheap ones do.

Def worth checking out the websites.

anniemac Thu 05-Nov-09 11:03:52

Message withdrawn

anniemac Thu 05-Nov-09 11:08:58

Message withdrawn

perfectstorm Thu 05-Nov-09 16:51:24

I'm Australian born, and wouldn't be seen dead in "Ugg Australia". They're China made, American owned, and insanely overpriced. My family buy mine for me from a shop on the Sunshine Coast, no clue what the firm is called, but they're the real local deal and a tenth of the cost, and look near as dammit identical. And they're only worn as slippers in this climate, too! (Okay, I confess to the occasional supermarket dash.) They are so not cool to any Aussie. Comfy and fab, but I giggle when I see a yummy mummy out and proud in her £200 slippers... that in Australia would be instant Bogan territory. grin

pointydogg Thu 05-Nov-09 17:09:59

grin @ perfect. It is funny how much money people will spend on something so plainly awful.

CocoK Thu 05-Nov-09 17:22:35

Try Kiwi Sheepskin boots. They are made in a factory in Canterbury, NZ, which is a supplier for Ugg Australia. Fab quality and solid soles. Just got a pair on a mumsnetter's recommendation for £85.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now