Talk

Advanced search

A special challenge for you stylish people

(13 Posts)
llaregguy Tue 03-Nov-09 21:26:21

I need help!

I have spent the last 3 years either pregnant, breastfeeding or looking after young children. I cannot remember the last time I went out for dinner, or a wedding, in an outfit that wasn't a "make-do" due to post-pregnancy weight gain, breastfeeding issues etc.

I have also gone from a size 20 to a size 14. I have never been this size in my adult life and I have no idea how to dress for it. Day to day I'm fine because I am with the DCs so I knock around in leggings, tunics etc or jeans. I have not yet dared enter the world of skinny jeans but I intend to try some this weekend.

My DH and I have had some pretty major ups and downs over the last few years and we have decided that we need to get out more as a couple without the children. So, this is the challenge, kind mumsnetters. I want to "wow" him with my new-found figure and confidence on our "dates." We only have two so far:

An evening at a comedy club
Dinner at a city centre restaurant

I have no idea what to wear! Just to give you some further details, I am:

Size 14, small waist, large norks, hips in proportion. Tummy. Am fairly hourglassish. I am 5 foot 6. I am of ghost-like complexion, frizzy hair. I'm 34.

Any ideas of outfits gratefully received. Budget not large but throw anything at me, I can always look for similar items elsewhere.

Last thing (I promise) I've fallen into bit of a Boden rut and need to get out of it, so definitely no Boden please.

Thank you.....

MrsMotMot Tue 03-Nov-09 22:36:57

How do you feel about 50s style dresses? With your figure they'd be perfect. Something to show off your waist and boobs.

Ok, bear with me, this dress is the cost of a small car but there will be lots of copies out there. (Topshop, Zara, Whistles, Reiss)On the catwalk gal it looks short but she will be 6ft. The bandage thing looks terribly revealing and clingy but it actually holds you in really well and is quite supportive. Not sure about your feelings towards your arms, but this dress has mini sleeves. Wear with opaque tights and some fierce heels.

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/47191

It's pretty un-Boden, anyway. Knock Jhonnie's socks off!

This is also very classy and sexy:
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/47298

I know you're not going to gala film premieres with the stars but really classic dresses can go anywhere.

Congrats on losing so much weight btw. You deserve Mouret and Leger wink

llaregguy Tue 03-Nov-09 22:52:43

Wow...I love the second dress but I'm not sure my norks are up to being so unsupported. They are used to serious scaffolding!

In all truthfulness I'll probably never go anywhere that would require such a dress, copy or original. I think I need something less spectacular, and something more casual for the comedy thing.

Thanks for the links. I shall be spending imaginary money on that site I think!

herjazz Tue 03-Nov-09 23:12:36

more casual

ooh I like this but prob not a boob dress

glam and 50's

MrsMotMot Wed 04-Nov-09 10:51:36

I know, my imaginary bills on that site are sky high... I did think the second one's back would negate a bra just after I posted. I like herjazz's first link, more casual but with a cool tribal vibe...

What about a personal shopper? They do them in Debenhams and prob John Lewis/House of Fraser, doesn't cost extra, no obligation to buy and they should be able to bring you an array of possibilities instead of you trawling through racks and hoofing it back and forth to changing rooms?

Swedes2Turnips0 Wed 04-Nov-09 11:01:56

This tunic over some slouchy velvet trews or even jeans?

llaregguy Wed 04-Nov-09 11:07:29

Now I do like the personal shopper idea. Is there a hard sell involved? Will they be honest? Do I need ££££££?

I do like that tunic but not sure that I can see myself in slouchy velvet trousers. This is a problem: I'm still dressing in the way I did for my bigger self and when I'm browsing the internet I still pick out my old styles and sizes.

MrsMotMot Wed 04-Nov-09 20:25:54

Thats why a personal shopper might be good, it's a whole new you you're shopping for! I don't know bout the hard sell, but I know you give them your budget so you don't need £££. Good luck!

monkeysavingexpertdotcom Wed 04-Nov-09 20:31:59

saw this today and loved it - with high heels and opaque tights?

Ewe Wed 04-Nov-09 20:35:23

This with a belt could look really good with skinny jeans and heels - not too formal though.

Pretty

Love this, might buy it myself!

You couldn't go wrong buying this for general wear

Ewe Wed 04-Nov-09 20:37:18

This is fab either over jeans with a cardi or dressed up with tights and heels.

monkeysavingexpertdotcom Wed 04-Nov-09 20:44:15

very lazy of me, but this site has some very nice not over the top dresses and tunics that would look good with skinny jeans or opaque tights

Ewe Wed 04-Nov-09 20:50:22

Well done on losing all that weight too! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now