Talk

Advanced search

Going out on Fri and have nothing to wear.

(8 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 03-Nov-09 20:10:43

I am going out on Friday, it will be the first proper night out I have had since I was pregnant - DS is nearly 13 months old now. Problem is we have moved since then and I have just gone to see what I have to wear and can't find any of my nice clothes I was thinking of wearing. I have got a couple of nice tops but no bottoms to go with them - and a couple of nice dresses, but one is a summer dress, one way too posh and the other I am not sure about. I have got some jeans with sparkly bits on, but they are getting a bit scruffy now, and some plain black trousers which will look awful as I have lost too much weight.

I am so annoyed and sad to have lost my nice clothes, all of DP's clothes have survived the move, I have no idea what happened to mine. I am going to see if my mum/sister have anything I can borrow tomorrow but I thought in the meantime I would ask if anyone has seen any really bargainous outfits or skirts/trousers which would go with a black top - any skirt would have to be long as I have horrible bruised legs and I hate tights (only the see through type ones though, I don't mind tights which are in one colour, if that makes sense. I don't like the feel of the lycra ones. And I know nothing about tights or fashion at all so I hope those are the right terms!)

I don't know what else you need to know - please ask! Oh, I have just dyed my hair and it has come out a very bright/deep red - as in not mahogany, but actually red.

LetThemEatCake Tue 03-Nov-09 20:38:25

ok

where are you going
how much can you spend
how tall are you/ what shape/ size

cherryblossoms Wed 04-Nov-09 01:25:53

There's been a major thread on mn about the £12 M and S jeans. Try searching under cocolepew. They really are a v. good pair of jeans. Not uber-fashionable but v. OK, especially for the price. If you really have lost all your clothes and need a wardrobe quickish, I'd recommend them.

As Laurie says, we need a bit more info.

Tunic dress and leggings?

Tights - buy some cotton opaques from John Lewis or M and S OR some of the great patterned ones they (both) have in at the moment. There are some brilliant woolly patterned ones. which are both fashionable and warm (isn't that great?).

Blimey, if you're looking slim, I'd buy black patterned/opaque tights, a shortish skirt and maybe one of the millions of jackets that are everywhere (Primark, Zara, Gap) and wear the black top. (And a nice pair of those patent high courts that are also everywhere).

BertieBotts Wed 04-Nov-09 11:06:29

Sorry I ended up getting distracted watching something on TV.

Just going out for a meal and drinks with some friends. I am hoping to find my clothes at some point but can't afford to spend much if I do have to buy more.

I am probably average height but very skinny, look very bony, not very confident about my body at the moment, I have lost a lot of weight recently. I bought some size 6 jeans which now need a belt to hold them up for example. (Am getting this sorted hopefully soon)

I didn't mean I have lost all my clothes but most of my nice stuff seems to have gone missing, so I can only find jeans and t shirts etc.

Cotton opaque tights sound ok. What does a tunic dress look like, and patent high courts? (Shoes?) Sorry, I told you I had no clue!

BertieBotts Wed 04-Nov-09 11:09:34

I am going out with my friends from NCT classes and they are all married, older than me and much better dressed than me generally, I know they won't care what I look like but I don't want to feel crap sitting next to them, it's the first time I have dressed up in about a year.

CeeUnit Wed 04-Nov-09 11:17:07

Could you put leggings under one of the dresses you already have? It could make the summer dress more autumn appropriate and would bring your look bang up to date.

I found long ones for £5 in Tesco and slightly more dressy ones for £15 in Jane Norman.

cherryblossoms Wed 04-Nov-09 11:42:10

Tunic dress is basically any dress worn as a tunic, though if you try a google search you'll basically get a long T-shirt-ish shape, probably with an embellished neck-line and probably sleeveless (you can always wear a cardi).

shoes This is pretty much the thing. You can get nicer ones, with a rounder toe, slightly more of a platform and perhaps a wider heel. But that is a cheap, acceptable, widely available version.

I'd be stunned if you can't find the same thing in New Look.

Have a great night out.

cherryblossoms Wed 04-Nov-09 12:00:45

If you are a size 6, ballet pumps could be your thing, rather than the shoes.

P. S. I do think you should hunt down the M and S jeans. I'm wearing mine now and feeling a glow of warmth towards the mn-er who pointed me in their direction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now