Talk

Advanced search

hourglass girl, jeans & boots

(14 Posts)
bobdog Tue 03-Nov-09 13:59:43

Pre children I was a size 12 'neat hourglass' shape now I'm a lot more distorted and probably a 14 (I sent back this www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product=figleaves-Structured-cowl-neck-dress&product_id=FIG-099140& size=&colour=Greys as too small in a 12 so am finally facing up to shedding some weight]]

But boots will always fit so have just ordered these www.my-wardrobe.com/day-birger-et-mikkelsen/brown-day-star-knee-high-flat-boot-523366 as an 'investment' and to cheer me up.
I'll wear with woolly tights and knee length skirts but could I get away with jeans.

When full of 8 month pregency hormones I wore jeans tucked into
boots and a tight ruched Isabella Oliver top and thought I looked great, actually i looked like a bloated Mr greedy. Since then I have been firmly back in boot cuts and waistcoats for shape.

So ladies (and Gok) what are the rules:
Can curvey girls tuck jeans into boots or will I just look like a pig on a stick?

What sort of jeans, should I walk away from skinny jeans, having realised I can no longer see daylight between thighs?

Are normal straight up and down jeans the way to go?

Will I get any jeans inside those boots or will the whole skinny leg thing have moved on anyway by the time I've cracked it?

Amandoh Tue 03-Nov-09 14:38:02

You can wear skinnies and these Next ones are very generously cut so you should be able to wear a 12. Have a look at them instore as they come in a few different washes and look better on than then do in the link. Tuck them in your boots and wear a long cardi or jacket until you feel happier about having your thighs on show.

Love your new boots btw. smile

SecretNinjaChipmunk Tue 03-Nov-09 14:38:11

i'm quite curvy and find if i tuck my boots in i look a little wierdly proportioned but i think it depends on the boot, the jean and how tall you are as i'm only 5'4" and my knees go inwards a bit.
I like the boots and dress you've picked by the way. i reckon if your jeans are somewhere between skinny and slim fit they'll last a good while longer in the fashion stakes but trying with the boots is the only way to know. do you have any good friends who can tell you if you show them?

SecretNinjaChipmunk Tue 03-Nov-09 14:44:05

i second the long cardi idea btw, good thinking!

mygiddyaunt Tue 03-Nov-09 14:53:13

love that dress you linked to!

bobdog Tue 03-Nov-09 15:33:47

Thankyou, I'm trying to find my fashion mojo as a sahm whoose little ones treat treat me as a walking tissue.
I used to have a completely man type job so one of the unexpected benefits of having little ones is finally making some female friends although I've still not plucked up courage to go shopping with them yet.

Figleaves sadly sent the wrong coloured dress so not only was I too big but I also looked even more tired the usual in the black version! It is a good frock with a discount code though not generous in size!

I've got a sniff of a job in a trendy, fashionable media thing where the receptionist is painfully cool and the 50 year old men look like postmodern young farmers hence the internet shopping and frantic scanning of forums and sites to get my act together, people really do judge on appearances so I want to be me but a bit more polished.

Will brave the changing rooms with the skinny jeans, hope the assistent does n't have to cut me out of 'em.

Can curvy girls do leggings/wooly tights/Toast churiander things with a long tunic or will it make me look a bit heavier? I've always found it hard to do the casual thing. Thanks folks

Amandoh Tue 03-Nov-09 15:54:19

A knit dress and thick tights might be your saviour style look while you're in animated tissue mode. Something like this Oasis dress would work with your boots.

The cheaper versions can be chucked in the washing machine (HATE handwashing!). I bought one in H&M for just £15.00 and have washed it lots and it's like new.

bobdog Tue 03-Nov-09 18:42:14

Oh Amandoh you're wonderful, love that Oasis one.
I'm spending this evening going through wardrobe working out what stuff is actually fit for purpose and trying to make a little go a long way.
The Oasis dress could be one of those gems you know the ones that work out less then a penny per wear because you get so much use out of.
Cheers, feeling happier about it all now,
any suggestions positively recieved.

Amandoh Tue 03-Nov-09 19:16:42

"Wonderful" blush

You might not think I'm all that wonderful when I tell you that the Oasis beauty is handwash only.

This one is machine washable and comes in red and black and there's also the short sleeved version which you could layer over a thin long sleeved T or polo neck.

If you like the knit dress or layering look then Esprit is really good at this.

ADifferentMe Tue 03-Nov-09 19:41:09

I'm a tall hourglass and have just got the Boden (sorry if that's a swear word) knitted henley dress. Wore it for the first time today and didn't want to take it off it was so comfortable. Makes me look two sizes smaller and the neckline is flattering with big boobs.

www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH173/Womens-Henley-Knitted-Dress.html

Amandoh Tue 03-Nov-09 19:42:49

No no, we love Boden now. See.

bobdog Wed 04-Nov-09 10:56:14

Have always been a bit uncomfortable with Boden/pro fox hunting bit but despite the models looking like they're trying to crack walnuts between their buttocks that is a good frock...might have to seperate politics and shopping hmm

Any other shops good for the hourglass girl, think I became rather fashion sad looking in the wrong places

ADifferentMe Wed 04-Nov-09 14:04:09

Wasn't aware Boden had any connection with fox hunting but I have found the dress covers my buttocks well whilst I crack walnuts wink

Kew is quite good but website doesn't do it justice.

bobdog Wed 04-Nov-09 16:32:28

I believe Mr Boden gave quite a lot of money to the Countryside Alliance fox hunting appeal but it is a bit silly to mix shopping and politics after all he's never asked my views and then refused to sell me the most utterly perfect dress.

Following the example of the models I will be cracking more walnuts myself and eating less piesgrin

I do like Kew (no longer have Jigsaw budget and is it just me or have they got the expensive/not particularly special ratio wrong now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now