Talk

Advanced search

Help, I have no fashion sense, I have some money I need to buy some clothes to change me from frump to fecking gorgeous!

(11 Posts)
rasputin Mon 02-Nov-09 22:15:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tulpe Mon 02-Nov-09 22:21:50

Are you a SAHM or do you need a "work wardrobe" too?

SixtyFootDoll Mon 02-Nov-09 22:24:47

Can you go to somewhere like Debenhams and book a personal shopper?

rasputin Mon 02-Nov-09 22:31:42

SecretNinjaChipmunk Mon 02-Nov-09 23:00:54

who do you admire for their dress sense? or aspire to?

what kind of colours do you like? bright, primary colours? autumnal shades? pastels? sparkly?

i believe its all about the fit. and good underwear. get yourself fitted properly and use that as a base as your clothes will fit you better. a good pair of jeans is well worth the hunt. and a little smart casual fitted jacket is a good wardrobe staple. i think you want to create a little mix and match capsule wardrobe. jacket, trousers, skirt/ dress, tops, shoes and accessories.

if you can face it the personal shoper is a really good idea. hennes is good for jackets and tops.

will have a think and come back in a bit

cherryblossoms Mon 02-Nov-09 23:45:27

I like the little fitted jacket idea. Also jeans and good underwear.

I'd add a suggestion that a good capsule wardrobe often works on the same lines as ... a school uniform. Eeek!

As in, a nice, shortish skirt, and a nice, fitted-ish jersey. Both wardrobe basics that can be mixed around and added to. Importantly, they are non-baggy and will ease you gently from the post-3 dc-look, towards the slender-legged-and-armed you that you are.

Am jealous of your slender legs - show them off.

Kew have some nice short skirts and jerseys in at the mo. Actually, that's a nice place to start. Definitely un-terrifying. They do stuff that "goes together", in classic colours and shapes. Actually, a lot of their stuff reminds me of school uniform - but in a really nice way.

Gap is also pretty non-terrifying. I love a stripey grey cardi they have at the moment (but I think it's over-priced, so I won't be getting it for me.)

And a dress, too. One that goes with a jacket and is also a day-wear dress. (Kew has quite a few of those.)

If all those are in a colour scheme that suits you and go together, you're doing way better than me.

cherryblossoms Mon 02-Nov-09 23:54:28

Btw - this is almost too obvious to mention, I'm sure everyone does this but ...

I always spend some time looking in expensive shops (and you can do this on-line and in magazines) and deciding what I like. Then I go and look for it cheaper - topshop is (still) my favourite.

Chandon Tue 03-Nov-09 09:32:13

Make sure you have enough time, and try lots of things on.

I think, buying one or two nice skirts and a pair of nice everyday boots to with them would be nice, and is not TOO adventurous iyswim.

I would buy one or two Cashmere jumpers from M&S or John Lewis (about 50 each, but very warm and soft and lovely, goes with skirts or trousers), one pair of nice knee length boots (I have some fabby Clarks ones which are comfy and nice, in black). Jones bootmaker have 20 pounds off all boots thsi week, they do good ones too. Then I´b buy a nice skirt, or even two. And a pair of nice trousers at Next (cheap at around 18-20 pounds, but they do nice ones with strectch, in 4 different lengths so you´re sure to find one pair that´s perfect)and some nice acessories, like scarf and bag (Monsoon do great cheapo fake leather bags in nice colours)

Good luck!

rasputin Tue 03-Nov-09 10:47:42

zanna52 Fri 06-Nov-09 12:15:37

I am an Image coach based in epsom, surrey - give me a shout if you'd like some help. I'm aslo a mum of two little ones so live in the real worl too! smile

Mcdreamy Fri 06-Nov-09 12:20:36

ooh zanna that sounds interesting. What do you do? (If that isn't too stupid a question!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now