Talk

Advanced search

I'm finally succumbing - Uggs or Celt boots?

(21 Posts)
SweetApril Sun 01-Nov-09 18:41:22

Hi. After years of resisting I've just tried a pair of short Ugg boots on today and they were so cosy that I just have to give in. But they were £160 so I looked at Celtic Sheepskin's stuff and these seem loads cheaper (the regular ones). Anyone tried both? How do they compare in terms of fit and quality and 'look'? I found that I went down a size in the Uggs but the Celtic website says to stick with your actual size. TIA

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 01-Nov-09 18:52:10

I just bought some from celtic sheepshin.

I deliberately went for the ones with the more rugged sole as I didn't want them to look too 'Ugg' like.

I'm really pleased with them. They are very comfy and keep my feet really warm. The sheepskin isn't as soft as Uggs but very thick. I did try on a pair of Tall Uggs but they were a bit big and I didn't like the fact they are so recognisable.

Size wise I went for a 7 which is my normal size and they are a perfect fit. Very snug at the moment round the calf and on top of the foot but they tell you that's normal and the sheepskin will bed down.

SweetApril Sun 01-Nov-09 19:02:06

Ooh, I'm jealous! I thought the rugged sole looked nicer too. Can you roll the top of the boot down and wear it with the sheepskin exposed like you can with the uggs? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I didn't have a clue you could do such a thing until I tried them on earlier.

PerArduaAdAstra Sun 01-Nov-09 19:03:35

<Slaps SweetApril>

Step away, now. Comfort is not everything.

SweetApril Sun 01-Nov-09 19:11:07

<Hides several pairs of Crocs and Birkenstocks and one pair of oversized sheepskin slippers>

Absolutely right.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 01-Nov-09 19:12:54

Yes, tops can be rolled over but they remind me too much of some boots my nan used to weargrin

JaMmRocks Sun 01-Nov-09 19:15:24

My current pair of Celts (classic black ones) have been going for 5 years now and I'm about to get them resoled, so would definitely recommend

SweetApril Sun 01-Nov-09 19:19:14

JaMmRocks - did you buy your normal size too? And have they stretched much IYSWIM?

SweetApril Sun 01-Nov-09 19:23:54

So when I turned the tops down the lovely (teenage) girl in Office was actually saying 'What a granny' and there was me thinking she said 'Wow, they look great.' grin

paranormalghostygoat Sun 01-Nov-09 19:32:31

Can I ask whether you walk properly in your UGG boots? I've never seen anyone where a pair who doesn't walk off the sole of them?

JaMmRocks Mon 02-Nov-09 17:12:23

I bought my normal size at the time (4) they have stretched as my feet have got wider since having children blush They always feel tight when you buy them but don't be tempted to size up!

SweetApril Mon 02-Nov-09 21:46:46

OK, great. Thanks for the advice. I've had a look at those Celt classics and they're nice too. Oh, I'm so hopelessly indecisive!

CiderIUpAndSetIFree Mon 02-Nov-09 22:13:09

hmm interesting, but I am led to wonder... do sheepskin boots get really pongy and smell like wet dog (or worse)? And what happens when it rains, do they get soggy?

LaurieScaryCake Mon 02-Nov-09 22:53:46

I bought the Celtic shortie ones last week - they are totally amazing. And only £85. I'm not fussed about the calf length or the tall ones as I wear them under jeans.

I raved about the slippers too.

Both the most comfy things ever, super quality too.

What swings it for me is being able to buy stuff made in this country with no air miles. Apparently the sheepskin is from the last tannery in Britain.

JaMmRocks Mon 02-Nov-09 23:21:33

I want a new pair of celt shorties - my dog ate my last pair! DS has always worn Celts too, they are good for growing feet as they expand with them.

If you're planning on wearing them out in the rain a lot you can get aqualamb ones which offer more water resistance. Can't say I've ever noticed them smelling like wet dog (or wet sheep)

Oh I have the slippers too... Too hot most of the time.

In all fairness I have so many pairs as the factory isn't too far away from me!

SweetApril Tue 03-Nov-09 14:14:04

Me too with the slippers!

There is a factory near you, JaMmRocks? envy Does it have a factory shop full of fabulous bargains? envy envy Of course it's going to be in Cornwall, isn't it? Pah.

Slubberdegullion Tue 03-Nov-09 14:19:10

Celts! Celts!

I have a pair of the aqualambs which are still going strong although I had to reproof them this year.

Sadly they only come in dullard brown and not the lovely vole sad.

Slubberdegullion Tue 03-Nov-09 14:19:36

have had the aqualambs for 4 0r 5 years now

LetThemEatCake Tue 03-Nov-09 16:49:13

Celtic Sheepskin - code 2AB9 before Nov 27 for free postage for online orders plus £15 gift voucher when you spend £130

JaMmRocks Wed 04-Nov-09 13:00:46

hmmmm, now does that justify me getting a new pair and using the voucher for a pair for DS?!

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 13:05:03

Deffo get CELTS

I love mine

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now