Talk

Advanced search

black nail varnish - application tips?

(9 Posts)
Jewelsandgems Sat 31-Oct-09 10:00:25

I have short square nails, and am wearing black nail varnish for a halloween party tonight. But, I just don;t know it is with black, I am terrible at it. Dark red, I do all the time and I am not too bad, but the minute I reach for the black, my hands are covered in smears and the nails look awful.

Are there any tips/hints that can make it neater?

Thanks in advance,
J&G

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Sat 31-Oct-09 10:18:27

Clear varnish first, two coats of black, then clear again?

Remove smudgey bits with a cotton bud dipped in remover...

Jewelsandgems Sat 31-Oct-09 10:25:44

Good idea heathen! And yes, cotton buds - must get some.

shelleylou Sat 31-Oct-09 10:28:31

Has to be 2 coats it doesnt sit right with just one IME. I try to do thiner strokes than i would with lighter colours. Im wearing black atm have been for a few days

tulpe Sat 31-Oct-09 10:31:29

I would probably stretch to 3 thin coats. I have the same problem with navy blue. They are both colours which need a gradual build rather than instantaneous colour

Jewelsandgems Sat 31-Oct-09 10:38:34

aah that's where I have been going wrong - I have been putting on heavy coats to get the colour and - well - very messy job!

shelleylou - what black nail varnish are you wearing? Sounds like a good one to be still chip free!

shelleylou Sat 31-Oct-09 11:41:55

collection 2000 Maxiflex. I put it on bout 8.30 thursday morning. Two coats and its still fine. Even with chasing ds round

nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 31-Oct-09 11:44:25

oh i love my black nail varnish.

sweetcat Sat 31-Oct-09 11:46:40

clear varnish first to stop staining then two/three thin coats.

Enjoy the party!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now