Talk

Advanced search

Makeup recs please

(18 Posts)
JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 22:02:07

I've just bought myself some of the new Max Factor foundation, which I'm v pleased with.

Ditto a Clarins mascara.

I now could really do with a decent nude/pink lipstick. However, I have never, ever yet found a lipstick that I like the texture of except for Clinique Black Honey (and they don't seem to do that in any other shades). Also I tend to eat lipstick within seconds because it makes me feel a bot over-done. My lips are quite thin too, so I don't really like drawing much attention to them.

Any ideas? Or should I go on not wearing it?

I also have just acquired a sample of Beauty Flash Balm - what am I supposed to actually do with it please?

Finally, I also need a really lovely neutral coloured eyeshadow.

Tia.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 22:03:02

A BIT over-done. My 'bot' is another matter entirely.

Heathcliffscathy Fri 30-Oct-09 22:05:02

bobbi brown. bobbi brown. bobbi brown. best creamy nude/pink lippies on the market.

bFB, blob on hands, rub together little bit to disperse then apply to face a thin sheen, without rubbing it in. will tighten up and glow your skin.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 22:08:57

Thanks. Will try BFB tomorrow then.

Bobbie Brown always seems v expensive to me though - is it really worth it?

SausageRocket Fri 30-Oct-09 22:09:30

Beauty Flah goes on before foundation, it's supposed to make your skin look more glowy and youthful but I don't find it makes much of a difference.

MAC make fantastic eyeshadows.

I find neutral lip glosses better for day wear, although I do wear lipstick too on occasion. Dior do a lovely gloss in their Creme Gloss range, the colour is 351. They may have discontinued it as I can't find it on the Dior site anymore. It's moisturising without being sticky or too glassy.

I also love a MAC one from the Plush Glass range called 'fulfilled', it is more shiny but more of a tinted clear gloss colour-wise.

The best neutral lipstick I have ever found is actually a Tesco one, believe it or not, in 'nude'.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 22:11:51

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I find lipgloss even worse than lipstick - can't stand the ickiness of it. Deffo don't want shiny. Sorry.

I like Mac eyeshadows - can you rec a neutral base colour? I tend to wear Shale on the lids.

tulpe Sat 31-Oct-09 00:19:59

I use Mac's Shroom as a base colour, Janeite. I either blend with whatever other colour I am wearing (greens or blues usually). Or sometimes even wear it just with mascara, or mascara and a fine line of liquid liner, to brighten my eyes when I can't be bothered to put on the full slap

Have you tried any of the Max Facor Lip Finity range for lipsticks? There are a good range of shades - nude and stronger - and they last all day from one application. Some of them come with a gloss top coat (which does need to be re-applied) and others with a moisturising top coat (like lip balm).

tulpe Sat 31-Oct-09 00:21:40

oh and Clinique used to do a lippy called Creamy Nude (which always made me blush when I asked for it! ). Nice neutral-ish shade and not bad for endurance either.

VerityBrulee Sat 31-Oct-09 09:48:07

I love black honey too. When it was discontinued a few years ago, I was one of those women who asked for it every time I passed a clinique counter until they gave in and brought it back!

I love sheer but not shiny or sticky, so I customise my lipstick. I use a tesco lipstick called Darling, it's a lovely pinky shade. Chop a bit off put it in a little jar, like the ones they give cosmetics samples in. Put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds, then use a toothpick to mix with vaseline or clear lip balm until you have the comsistency and look you like. Ta da.

AlaskaNebraska Sat 31-Oct-09 09:52:08

i like mac viv glam VI gloss

kando Sat 31-Oct-09 09:56:52

Not quite in the same league as other brands on the thread, but No7 do a nice "sheer" sort of range, I can't remember what it's called but the lipstick is very light with perhaps more just a "hint of colour" than full-on lipstick. JANEITE - if you are near Portsmouth/Southampton, get thee to Gunwharf Quays and the Cosmetics Store - Bobbi Brown, MAC, Estee Lauder, Clinique etc etc all at VERY reasonable prices!

SofaQueen Sat 31-Oct-09 09:57:45

Ditto MAC. They make a gloss range which is truly long-lasting. One side is a matt colour which basically gets "stuck" on your lips and lasts all day. The other side is a clear varnish to give shine. Fantastic stuff.

purplepeony Sat 31-Oct-09 10:12:36

I love Clinique Butter surge lippie or whatever it's called, in Adore you- a neutral nude pink- have bought about 4 now. It's half lippie and half gloss.

I found BB make my lips tingle. Never tried their gloss but is is expensive.

Ruby and Millie have a couple of beigse shadows that re neutral.

I have just splashed out on Christian Dior eye make up palette- 5s- in neutral shades of grey , brown, pink, and paler beige- it goes on well and last all day.

Boots No 7 have a similar trio for about £10.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sat 31-Oct-09 14:57:12

Brilliant - thank you all. I think I will look at mac, Clinique and Ruby and Millie; then move on to Bobbie Brown if I've failed with the others. I don't shop in tesco, if I can help it and have also made a vow to not buy No 7 again as the last few things I've bought from there have been rubbish.

Does anybody rate Clarins make up? Oh and do Origins still do make up?

hercules1 Sat 31-Oct-09 15:00:24

Mac for eyeshadow.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sat 31-Oct-09 15:05:12

Deffo Mac for eyeshadow! You wanna link me to colours?

TheRealMrsDanvers Sat 31-Oct-09 18:52:11

Clinique Tenderheart is very popular as it suits most people. I also rate L'Oreal, Revlon and Dior for lipsticks. I find that Lancome aren't very good as they seem to flake off easily. Clarins is ok but you can find many better brands for the same money.

JANEITEluddite Sat 31-Oct-09 23:12:46

Thank you. Will have a look at Clinique again - not bought anything there since January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now