Talk

Advanced search

Red Lipstick Recommendations

(19 Posts)
NickNemo Fri 30-Oct-09 21:46:12

Well, I've just turned 30, and feel the time is right for me to start wearing red lipstick. So, do take a look at the pic in my gallery and recommend one to me, please please.

I very rarely wear lippie (some browns and sometimes a light pink), but I do want to look glam but suitable for day as well. I am looking for a true red that doesn't wash me out or look too harsh. I have Indian skin tone and have dark hair.

Recommendations please

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 21:55:35

I love red lipstick. I only wear it a few times a year but when I do it makes me feel happy.

I was sorting my makeup draw just yesterday and tried all my red lipsticks on much to dd's amusement/ bemusement.

Mac do a glossy light red which is nice if you're not used to wearing it. If you put a red lipliner and two coats on it is full red, otherwise it can be a nice lighter red shade for newbies. I can't recall the name but it is their brightest red and I don't think they do many.

Do you have a department store near you? I'd go and try a few on because some are orangey, some blue based and some pinkey and they suit different skin tones. Importantly make sure you smile when you try it on - different reds make your teeth look different ranging from yellowy to perfect pearly whites but ime you need to try to see what happens.

Good luck. There is something lovely about wearing red lipstick grin.

SausageRocket Fri 30-Oct-09 21:57:15

I have a fabulous red Dior one.

I'm not a red lippy person either but REALLY wanted one and went to my local Boots and did a tour of the beauty counters. I love Dior make up in general so started there.

The best thing to do is go and try them out.

Some were too 'blue' and some were too orangey. I found matte much more wearable than gloss.

SausageRocket Fri 30-Oct-09 22:01:25

I don't wear it frequently either (I am pretty low key make up wise generally) but I love it for a high glamour night out.

I also have a gorgeous red YSL lip gloss for a more sheer look, that is fabbo too.

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 30-Oct-09 22:04:45

Estee Lauder do a nice red.

momijigari Fri 30-Oct-09 22:38:07

I wear matte, wine colour, vary the intensity, so wear it lightly during the day by blotting most of the colour off, applying lightly with a bit of lip balm over...

Colour is very personal, I wouldn't recommend one, I am very pale, with dark hair.

AlaskaNebraska Sat 31-Oct-09 09:56:02

tyr no 7 in smoulder
is kind of a red sheen rather than intense colour

tulpe Sat 31-Oct-09 10:29:42

Enigma by Chanel is gorgeous. Very wearable pinky red.

Mac also do a great range of red lippy but I find it a bit drying on the lips (not a great look with a shade that deep).

Max Factor Lip Finity also have a great red shade (again a pinky-red).

Agree with others - you really do need to go and try on.

AngelinaJolly Sat 31-Oct-09 10:40:29

Colours can vary enormously. I think of a true red as being cool almost bluish, rather than tomato (orange undertones), or brickish (brown undertones) however I suspect you'd suit a warm red. I'd ask the ladies at Bobbi Brown for the right red for you. They have an astounding range of colours, that look very similar at first glance, but with different undertones that make all the difference.

coffeeinbed Sat 31-Oct-09 11:23:27

Nars Gipsy.
Very wearable, sheer but builds up beautifully.

herjazz Sat 31-Oct-09 11:35:11

mac russian red is most full on proper red I've found - not pinky or orangey

dita von teese agrees with me as well

NickNemo Sat 31-Oct-09 19:31:03

Thanks everyone, I do have a lot to think about. I am leaning towards the Dior one, but will do a recce of the stores tomorrow/ Mon to see which one I can find.

I know matte is supposed to be more wearable, is it worth getting a reddish gloss to wear over a red matte? Or would that look too shiny?

BOOdeniites Sat 31-Oct-09 21:44:38

i read on the Nigella Lawson website she reccomends Revlons Really Red matte lipstick if yu want to read her review its in the Nigella Loves archive hope this helps

OurLadyOfPerpetualBloodSucker Sat 31-Oct-09 21:55:30

Get your colours done then you'll know exactly what suits you (I'd guess a warm tomato shade) - and you're young with lovely white teeth envy so gloss would be the icing on the cake!

Giltz Sat 31-Oct-09 21:58:05

I love my red lipstick, feel very glam whenever i wear it. I would advice that you check what suits your skin tone thoughas it can really wash you out. NO 7 and revelon both really good brands

jabberwocky Sat 31-Oct-09 22:01:08

Christian Dior Indian Red.

I've been wearing it for years and always get compliments.

rimmer08 Sun 01-Nov-09 14:37:04

have you trid the clarins ones? they last very well

SofaQueen Sun 01-Nov-09 14:46:28

Red is a tricky shade, and you need to know what colour undertones suit you. This is one shade where you need to go to a makeup counter and play.

Also, with red, a lipliner is a must, and blotting also helps with longevitiy. I wear NARS pencils as they last longer.

NickNemo Mon 02-Nov-09 08:58:25

I hadn't thought of lipliner, thanks SofaQueen. D'you know if it has to match the colour exactly or can I get away with a nude?

I am going to John Lewis and Debenhams today, hopefully will have a lovely shade tonight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now