Talk

Advanced search

How long did it take you to get your fashion-mojo back after having kids?

(48 Posts)
AngelinaJolly Fri 30-Oct-09 21:10:29

I've recently rediscovered mine grin but it took about 14 months to find.

Anyone else?

MustNotEatCake Fri 30-Oct-09 21:14:03

was pretty lax after dd ... too smitten with motherhood to care about how I looked, as long as I looked halfway decent ... but straight back in the fashion saddle after ds1 (2 kids 16 months apart = a recipe for being desperate to do something that's all about you, ime)

ds2 is now 5 weeks old and my intentions are good/ interest is sharp ... but sadly my body is not playing ball sad

trixymalixy Fri 30-Oct-09 21:19:06

Ditto MNEC. Couldn't care less after DS. Know what I would like to wear after DD, but body not up to it sad.

AngelinaJolly Fri 30-Oct-09 21:21:11

Aw Cake I reckon you're doing pretty well- at 5 weeks could hardly remember my name let alone what colours go well with cobalt... plus I've seen your pix and you're good looking. You'll be back to your old self in no time.

Fleecy Fri 30-Oct-09 21:27:32

Mine completely disappeared as I put far too much weight on when pregnant with DD and just sort of gave up sad

Never lost the weight and got pregnant again within the year - but after DS, I got back into it for some reason. Lost the weight fairly quickly and was back to my usual, fashionable self after six months. Thank you Slimming World! grin

katy1katy Fri 30-Oct-09 21:31:32

Message withdrawn

AngelinaJolly Fri 30-Oct-09 21:33:57

Katy that's great- was it hard to get into the running? I think confidence has a huge amount to do with it.

DEMlostandtired Fri 30-Oct-09 21:35:17

it comes back? 4.8years still lost.

ScotGirl Fri 30-Oct-09 21:36:12

Never got it back after DS1 but that is because I knew I wanted to get pregnant again and was drawn to practical maternity style clothes knowing I wouldn't get the wear out of anything else.

Did have another baby and DS2 now 19mths and I think I have just got it back this summer. Combination of finally losing some weight now I have stopped breastfeeding and having very recently both DS's sleeping most nights and having some energy back to worry about such things!

MustNotEatCake Fri 30-Oct-09 21:36:45

running makes a huge difference to my shape and confidence but weirdly, I find that every time I'm a good place, running-wise, I get pregnant again.

Maybe it makes too much difference to my shape and confidence

<<skinny vixen with come-hither eyes emoticon>>

Angelina - I'm looking for your long-haul thread, got a wrap for you.

fishie Fri 30-Oct-09 21:37:35

about 2 years seems to be the point i have observed. running is marvellous.

katy1katy Fri 30-Oct-09 21:37:41

Message withdrawn

hf128219 Fri 30-Oct-09 21:37:54

My dd is 2 in January - joined Weightwatchers 2 weeks ago. Thought it was about time to do something about the extra 21 lbs. Even if I do hide it well!

smile

AngelinaJolly Fri 30-Oct-09 21:46:20

<arf> cake, try running in the opposite direction next time!

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 21:47:12

I've tried lots of things (dd is 17 months) but the thing that made the biggest difference was getting properly measured for a bra. It sounds like such a silly thing but I'd been wearing a 40D and am actually a 34F and the moment I put the right size bra on I felt a stone (genuinely) lighter and so much more like my pre baby (size 8-10) self even though I am still bf and a bigger than I've ever been.

The other thing was when dd got to about 11 months and instead of taking a baby bag out everyday I bought her a little rucksack for her stuff and started taking a handbag again. Pretty shallow but it made me feel more like me.

traceybath Fri 30-Oct-09 21:51:07

I'm interested but just don't have the time to go and do lots of trying on. This means don't experiement enough and get stuck in a rut.

Oh well another 9 months and I won't be bf and will be able to dedicate more time to the cause wink

MustNotEatCake Fri 30-Oct-09 21:53:29

your 'rut' is at least a good one though tracey, you're a tres stylish lady, 'tis obvious even through the soft-focus filter of MN

stakethroughtheheartofgold Fri 30-Oct-09 21:55:39

dd1 - about 3 years, dd2 - about 18 mo. for me it doesn't depend on size (have been everything between 8 & 16) but how well i'm coping with the kids, how much spare energy i have to care about that stuff.

i'm lucky that while i enjoy dressing up i don't particularly follow fashion and consequently i don't feel under any pressure to conform to a particular body-type in order to feel good/sexy. thinking about it, when i was bigger i was hanging around feminist websites and sites with young women who loved clothes but were somewhat alt- or diy and not particularly swayed by fashion. god that did my self image soooo much good.

(sorry am coming over all unnecessarily feminist on frivolous threads lately)

CarmenGeddit Fri 30-Oct-09 21:55:49

I just have, the baby is 20 months. But she followed after two children previously all in quick succession ie constant post-pregnancy/new pregnancy body for 5 years or so.

But I have now, and my bank balance is suffering for it grin

hf128219 Fri 30-Oct-09 22:01:23

I think if you have always liked clothes/fashion/style it's a hard thing (motherhood) to adjust to.

You know - less time to yourself, mummy tummy et al.

The worse thing for me is so little time for myself <selfish emoticon?> and the fact my thighs are chubby <vain emoticon?>

Anyhow it's onwards and upwards now! smile

Poohbearsmom Fri 30-Oct-09 22:01:28

Im afraid iv never had any mojo at least i cant miss anything...

traceybath Fri 30-Oct-09 22:02:43

MNEC you are too kind smile

Stake - I wish I could feel good/sexy when I'm over my normal weight but I just don't. In fact I feel the pressure more now than ever to be slim and am not sure where the pressure comes from.

Anyway enough of my whinging.

MustNotEatCake Fri 30-Oct-09 22:08:15

I cried this morning about my weight.

Pathetic but true.

I might also cry about this

Good on you hf128219! keep us posted.

thought of another reason why I was more fashion-conscious after dc2 ... he was born in winter, which meant lots of time sat indoors bfing ... with one hand on the laptop. And thus began my love affair with online shopping.

Dc1 born summer ... spent all my time hanging out at the park, everyone looking pretty averagely mumsy .. not much to inspire me there ...

stakethroughtheheartofgold Fri 30-Oct-09 22:13:36

the hardest thing for me to adjust to style-wise was pregnancy. i think things have improved recently, but 7 years ago there was sooooo little to choose from, especially if you tend towards alternative in clothing choice. i was never going to be one of those people that don't gain much weight and can get through adapting non-maternity stuff. so i kind of surrendered any possibility of expressing who i am through my clothes at about 4 months pg, and didn't care again until i came out of the whole colic-non-sleeping-newborn-ptsd haze several years later.

tracey i hope you don't feel i'm being judgey about the size thing, really i'm not. i feel incredibly lucky that throughout my life i've been surrounded by strong feminist women who have counteracted the messages we get sent every day about body image. i don't for a minute feel badly about anyone else if they haven't had such good luck.

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 22:17:33

How refreshing. I feel the same.

I am ashamed at how much money I threw away in the first year after dd was born trying to locate my mojo. Not on expensive designer stuff but I'd go to Next (I hate Next and had never shopped there before) and would buy 4 pairs of awful jeans in a 14 to try and make myself feel better and more like me. Then I'd nip down to New Look and buy a few tops in a 16 to fit over my new big boobs and possibly down to H&M for something cheap to go over the top. Nothing wrong with any of those shops (though as I say, I am not a Next fan), but I spent a lot of money on things that didn't help at all. I wish I'd saved the time and money.

If I am honest, and I will be seeing as others have been, I hate my tummy now. I know why I have it and I love the reason but I really feel fat all the time. Having always been slim I find muffins (as in fat bits) the hardest bit to deal with and can't wear so many of my clothes.

But it's winter now so all that can be covered up with sensible dressing and my next summer my two years of bfing will be over and (am I kidding myself?!) I will be slim again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now