Talk

Advanced search

does anyone else feel like me at the moment....or should I just curl up into a corner now?

(24 Posts)
cutekids Fri 30-Oct-09 20:25:50

i'm overweight and small...just over 5ft.i have no trousers whatsoever in my wardrobe as i just look absolutely ridiculous in them.i wear long skirts and tops as a rule.I have a black velvet skirt...down to my ankles and have absolutely nothing to wear with it.I'm finding that I can't get anything v neck anymore...which I need with my boobs!and I can hardly ever find a skirt except in the workwear department.I'm seriously beginning to feel more and more like a freak every day.I'm in my very early 40s and I feel like I might aswell just curl up in a ball these days.The clothes they sell in Evans etc.are just larger copies of things that are up to the minute fashion but I think us fatter people should be allowed to wear things that suit us not what a fashion magazine aimed at size 8's are wearing.(Sorry....not being THINNIST or anything btw!!!)Am I the only person in the world that feels like this??? I

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 20:29:33

What size are you?

Tbh, if you are short, long skirts are never going to be your best option.

cutekids Fri 30-Oct-09 20:35:15

as a rule Jeanette,you would probably be right but unfortunately I have problems with my legs....always did even when I was much slimmer.(used to have a tiny waist but always had massive boobs and arse and rather big thighs).I have to wear long skirts....I cannot wear trousers cos I look absolutely terrible in them.

cutekids Fri 30-Oct-09 20:35:42

size 28blush

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Fri 30-Oct-09 20:37:34

Sorry - I wasn't any help but hoping somebody can come along and offer ideas/wisdom/

cutekids Fri 30-Oct-09 20:44:24

thanks Jeanette smile

Heated Fri 30-Oct-09 20:47:23

What about this combo?
purple gem top
trews
black rib cardi or
pink rib edge cardi

CybilLiberty Fri 30-Oct-09 20:51:25

this top

these trews in SHORT

and a navy waterfall cardigan and some chunky beads would look fab on you.

What do you think?

CybilLiberty Fri 30-Oct-09 20:52:21

Blimey heated how similar were our outfits

Heated Fri 30-Oct-09 21:00:53

Eerie!

Seriously, Cutekids, imo the path to enlightenment/wearing trousers could be the long line cardi. If the line of the trousers falls straight from the knee, parallel, boot cut or flares do, then all that's going to be visible is that nice shape. My aunt used to say the same about not suiting trousers - big bust and stomach, little legs, until she discovered the right trousers for her.

What colours do you prefer?

Heated Fri 30-Oct-09 21:14:06

Also like
joe browns

Amandoh Fri 30-Oct-09 22:34:36

I've just Googled Dawn French as I always think she looks fab but not like she's trying too hard.

Had a look at a few photos of her and she seems to stick to a trusted pattern of colourful long top and black wide leg trousers or a colourful long coat over a black top and again the black trousers.

I realise she's quite a few sizes bigger than you but she does seem to like to keep her legs under wraps. What do you think of what she wears?

Now I know this coat is probably more suitable for Spring and I'm not suggesting you rush out and buy a carbon copy but can you see that it's near enough impossible to find and fault with her figure? I'm not even looking at her body as she has a lovely friendly face and the coat is so eyecatching that I'm not looking at anything else she's wearing.

If this is a look you think you might like to try then I found these wide legged jersey trousers and this really pretty long top. Or you could wear a plain black top (Pack of two here. One black and one grey) with the trousers, again a la Dawn, and then a really bright coat. I love this one! Don't forget it'll be longer on you than it is on the model in the photo. If you don't want to go that bright then a classic trench would look good instead.

Like you I have big boobs and find that a big expanse of fabric across my chest just makes me look bigger so I know that lower necklines or v necks are the most flattering but another trick is to break up the chest area visually with jewellery or a scarf. It also gives the eye something to focus on. Even something as plain as this M&S necklace worn over a black top would break up your top half. If you want something with a bit more "wow" then this one is very pretty.

I think Heated's suggestion of a cardigan is also a good way to go. What do you think of this one? It only goes up to a size 22 but it's a loose fit so that should be fine for you if you do like it. And don't forget it'll be longer on you than the model.

Heated Fri 30-Oct-09 22:43:53

Amandoh, they are fantastic suggestions for Cutekids. Might be stealing that necklace!

Heated Fri 30-Oct-09 22:46:48

And of course Dawn French has her own clothing line, a bit expensive compared to high street, but maybe worth a look?

Amandoh Fri 30-Oct-09 22:50:53

I'm so daft Heated.

I thought her clothing line went bust so didn't bother searching for it but now you mention it I'm thinking of Frost/French!

Will have a look now. Might be some on Ebay if it's a bit expensive new.

Amandoh Fri 30-Oct-09 23:07:17

I see what you mean about the prices.

£62.00 for this top. And that's the reduced price. It was £69.00.

There are a few of these graduated hem tops and they're nice but at almost £70.00 the price is a bit steep.

CybilLiberty Fri 30-Oct-09 23:41:17

Would probably be worth the Op's while investing in a few bits that are more expensive to get the right cut and shape rather than wasting money on cheap badly fitting tat

KristinaM Sat 31-Oct-09 01:53:38

this is an old thread but has lots of great ideas for plus size ladies

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sat 31-Oct-09 15:01:31

I've got that necklace in three colours! I love it and always got compliments on it. Brilliant value for a fiver.

JJ Sat 31-Oct-09 15:16:59

Sixteen 47 Dawn French's clothing line that people mentioned. There's a lovely shop in London - I went years ago and they were very friendly. The clothes I bought lasted well, too. I've lost weight since then, so can't wear them anymore; it's not that they fell apart or even became unfashionable.

JJ Sat 31-Oct-09 15:18:34

Oops, amandoh linked to it already! I'm confused by the new black links, sorry.

Amandoh Sun 01-Nov-09 19:31:13

CuteKids ~ Just wondering if you read the replies and if there was anything linked to that you liked?

You seemed ever so fed up in your post so I hope you're feeling a bit cheerier. smile

cutekids Thu 05-Nov-09 10:28:42

Hi everyone!
Wow...you've all given me some lovely suggestions and have very definitely taken into consideration my figure(?!)and size.
The tops are great...unfortunately,something in my psyche does not allow me to do the trouser thing.I can't even do the leggings anymore....my legs are very,very large and short (i know i should just lose the weight but believe me I find it harder and harder).
Thankyou all for trying so hard though.As I said,the tops are gorgeous.
I would say i'm very much in the "Vicar of Dibley"league as far as shape...i've always said that.Unfortunately,I don't have the beautiful face she's got to detract from my body lol!

zanna52 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:29:25

Hi there, just been looking at your message and it makes me a bit sad. You shouldn't feel so down on yourself about your body shape. What size are you? Have you tried Anna sholtz & Marrissotta & Simply Be? They are all aimed at the more curvy figure. They are all on line and you can order catalogues. The other one to try is Spirito Di Artigiano who do sizes 14 - 28. Again have a look on line. Your best bet when putting a look together is to go for what is called a 'column of colour' i.e blue top and blue trousers with a different coloured cardy or open shirt or jacket over the top if you want to wear trousers. Very slimming. And go for wide leg trousers too - keep away from anything tapered!! and lots of interesting accessories. I'm an Image Coach by the way so have a certain amount of expereince with this. Hope it helps. (I'm also a mum too!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now