Talk

Advanced search

House stuff

(12 Posts)
monkeysmama Thu 29-Oct-09 22:32:39

Where do you lovely stylish women get the pictures in your homes from?

I am currently redecorating our home. We have lots of different pictures up - some photos, a beautiful Rothko print (in fact several Rothkos throughout the house - I am a bit of a fan), a Hockney print (which I actually really dislike), a poster from a wonderful Modigliani exhibition, a very expensive pop art poster, a few political pieces & some others from our travels.

Now we're looking to buy some new posters to frame but my Internet searches have been depressing.

Any suggestions? In fact any suggestions for nice housey things websites would be great.

AngelinaJolly Thu 29-Oct-09 22:53:49

I love Bold and Noble screen prints- some nice things for kids' rooms.

MustNotEatCake Thu 29-Oct-09 23:45:20

have you tried www.artrepublic.com - they're in Brighton

my favourite place, where we've bought a few of our framed prints, is a little shop in cecil court, covent garden (runs btwn st martins lane and charing cross road) - definitely worth the trip into town, especially if you can get someone to have your dd for the day... can't remember the name but it's almost opposite the Italian Bookshop

hth!

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 07:46:42

Thanks for these suggestions.

I know exactly where you mean MNEC -I am very familiar with the Italian bookshop. We're going into the West End tomorrow, with dd but will take a look. Thanks.

OllieWollieWoo Fri 30-Oct-09 08:01:44

Agree re Bold and Noble - we have the Robot print for DS's room.

Someone linked to this website a while back - posters of book covers:
here

Home stuff - try Aspen & Brown, Cox&Cox, notonthehighstreet.com?

OllieWollieWoo Fri 30-Oct-09 08:04:01

Oh yes - I would love one of these (but DH has veteoed butterflies!)
here

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 08:25:13

I'm really grateful for these suggestions. I've bought gifts from Not On The Highstreet before but don't know the others. Most of the things in our house have been acquired along the way - when we see something we like we buy it. Now we've decided to decorate the whole downstairs including new kitchen, 2 sofas, new garden, all new lights, new floors etc I am excited at choosing nice things for a specific room rather than buying them then finding space!

I am going to wait for dd to go down for her nap, make myself a lovely coffee & start browsing.

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 09:38:14

We have this table and need 8 new chairs and placemats. I like these chairs but it would be pretty expensive for 8 and quite like slate place mats but they all seem very expensive.

MustNotEatCake Fri 30-Oct-09 09:44:05

We have that Catcher in the Rye print!

Mm, I thought you might know that bookstore... Are you an Italian speaker, or in fact Italian? You have quite a European sensibility!

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 09:54:30

Why thank you MNEC - I take that as a big compliment grin!

I lived in Italy for many years and am a fluent speaker - dd is too (well, she is 17 months so her vocabulary is limited but the words she does say most are in Italian grin grin)

I like the Catcher in the Rye print. Have just sent dp a long email with all the posters I like - found lots on the art republic site too.

We adored this house when we bought it 4 years ago and are hoping this big redecoration will rekindle our love for it. Our tastes are very similar and we hate clutter. A problem seeing as MIL is on a mission to clutter up our house with flashing plastic things!

Thanks again MNEC - you've made my day!

MustNotEatCake Fri 30-Oct-09 10:41:46

Ha ha, you've made my day! Am now priding myself on my super sleuthing skills. It was the red boots and the penchant for leather wot did it (did you ever buy a pencil skirt?????)

I studied Italian for many years, nowhere near fluent- I wish- which is how I know the bookshop and stumbled across the print store....

monkeysmama Fri 30-Oct-09 16:13:26

I did indeed buy a leather pencil skirt, in that shop indeed, and I adore it. I've not worn it out yet (though I try it on a lot grin) nut we're going to the Connaught for dinner in a few weeks with some old work people and it will have its first outing!

Well done super sleuth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now