Talk

Advanced search

Why do I find it so hard to wear a skirt...

(14 Posts)
beldaran Thu 29-Oct-09 14:59:42

I like to lurk in here but could do with some help if you would be so kind.

I wear jeans ALL the time, they are easy comfortable and practical for having a disabled 3 year old. Now things have started to settle down, i want to start experimenting with clothes and getting my own style back.

I have brought some lovely boots and some funky tights, but i just seem to stall when i put it all together and look in the mirror.

I don't know why it is such a problem, i think i look too frumpy. I'm a 12/14 (depending on shop) on the bottom and a 12 on top. I would say i'm pear shaped but am willing to be corrected on this. Have a terrible muffin top/belly area which im working on.

Any ideas on how to get over this and just wear it? I can post photos if needed but i am quite selfconcious so would prefer not too.

CybilAviationAuthority Thu 29-Oct-09 15:01:26

What type do you currently have or are you looking to buy new? What style are you?

Amandoh Thu 29-Oct-09 15:02:09

Which styles of skirt have you tried?

PoisonToadstool Thu 29-Oct-09 15:04:26

What do you normally wear with your jeans?

Where do you shop?

What are your boots like?

Look here to find your body shape

squeaver Thu 29-Oct-09 15:04:54

If you usually wear jeans, why not wear a denim skirt? I know whenever I wear a skirt I feel just that little bit more dressed up and I suppose that can make you self-conscious. But a denim skirt can be a good "transition" iyswim.

Wear with a longish tunic or shirt that's not clingy then you won't worry about your muffin top.

beldaran Thu 29-Oct-09 15:05:47

I have a black cord tulip not quite mini skirt (its about 2" above knee) from next...i think this is the item number 494-869-G45.

I'm wearing at the moment a brown linen knee length A line skirt which i prefer to the cord.

Heated Thu 29-Oct-09 15:07:10

Do you want the skirt to come down to knee length and 'meet' your boots, perhaps flashing a small bit of leg, or do you want flash those pins?

beldaran Thu 29-Oct-09 15:08:13

Thanks for that body shape link...i'm a vase apparently.

It sounds about right, i don't suit polo necks or anything that comes up around my neck.

beldaran Thu 29-Oct-09 15:09:48

I like the idea that i have on at the moment, skirt ends at knee and boots are calf height. So there is a good 3" gap, i think i prefer to show lower leg than thigh.

Thanks to all posters so far, i'm feeling a bit better about it now.

Heated Thu 29-Oct-09 15:22:13

whitestuff havana or Boden denim?

carocaro Thu 29-Oct-09 15:26:55

Me too! I actually ordered 5 different skirts from Next to see what shapes etc look ok, I have worn nothing but jeans for years.

I have yet to try any of them on

So watch this space.

Can't keep them all, but just want to see what suits!

beldaran Thu 29-Oct-09 15:30:42

Thank you for those links Heated.....i like both of them.

You know it sounds daft, but just sitting here i've realised that i think i look good in what i'm wearing and i have just got to get it into my head that when i go out people aren't laughing at me.

I'm off shopping tomorrow then (its my birthday yipee!).

I hope you find something you like carocaro.

Heated Thu 29-Oct-09 15:33:45

whitestuff dark sand
aftershock
Next basic cord skirt
Next embroidered
gattgender:women&isort=score&method=and&filter=subset:3003&nxtv=000&nxti=0 Next fit & flare tweed skirt 1st one

Heated Thu 29-Oct-09 15:37:30

Enjoy spending your birthday money smile Monsoon used to be a safe bet although havent seen anything online that really wows but bound to be more in store. Next & H&M have some good cord skirts if you don't want to go to whitestuff and Boden prices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now