Talk

Advanced search

Help! my 10 yr old DD is finally showing interest in what she wears!

(11 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Oct-09 17:16:09

After a fraught Friday morning finding something acceptable to wear for mufti day at school, she's agreed to actually come shopping with me to kit her out for colder weather instead of just wearing whatever I bring home from the supermarket.

And she's asked to go to the Trafford centre which is some way off so I don't want a wasted journey. At least theres lots under one roof so we ought to find something

I'm not really into clothes myself (work from home, like outdoorsy stuff) so I'm wondering what sort of thing to steer her towards. Up till now she's mostly lived in trackies or (for best) Boden baggies. She's plump round the middle (not obese, but only just has a waist really) so not everything suits her and skinny tops/jeans are out.

I'd be most grateful for any guidance

LaurieScaryCake Wed 28-Oct-09 17:22:00

one word, leggings!

DD lives in those, she has just thinned out in the waist (just about to start puberty) but spent aged 10 having a thick waist.

So leggings(with or without skirts over) tunic tops, shrugs etc

H&M are really good, we also use Boden and M&S, New Look have a ok-ish range.

DD is now adult size 8 so it does open up a bit more if you want to buy cheaper stuff from New Look, Primark.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Oct-09 19:59:36

Yes, leggings did occur to me - she has one pair and a dress top thing(Asda cheapo) which is the nearest she has to a girly outfit grin. I was hoping to get some more top halves from Boden but she didn't like any of them. I guess I need to coerce her into a shoe shop and aquire boots to wear with them for winter though.

DD is too short for adult clothes yet (heck, I'm too short for most adult clothes!). I didn't know New Look did kids stuff even so thanks for that!

RubysReturn Wed 28-Oct-09 20:03:46

My 10yo lives in fatface stuff - it looks nice on her and is cut to suit the age group. Much nicer than the mini hooker look.

I then plan to convince her to be some kind of goth, so she is not looking for latest trends and is all covered up grin

LaurieScaryCake Wed 28-Oct-09 20:11:34

You can buy New look kids clothes online - the 9-15 range

saves a lot of boring shopping time

GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Oct-09 20:24:10

Those could certainly be useful if we can't get kitted at Trafford. A bit hmm that 'Teens' equates to 9-15 at New Look!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 29-Oct-09 08:27:28

My SIL swears by the Tammy range at BHS for her DD who hit ten and suddenly refused to wear anything from Boden. Online too.

whereareyou Thu 29-Oct-09 10:37:57

My dd likes things from Zara,Gap,H&M and Fatface.

She likes coloured or normal jeans,boots or converse and a plain or stripy top with cardigan or sweat top.

It is a difficult age to buy for as alot of things are designed for older teenagers.

strudelface Thu 29-Oct-09 16:48:38

My 10-year old now insists on skinny jeans apparently boot cut are just a wierd shape!
Converse on her feet. She likes plain-ish t-shirts and tops with a Boden hoody. What she really would like is any top or sweatshirt or hoody from Abercrombie & Fitch - as everyone else wears them - mmmmm.

I am sure I read on here that Boden are thinking of introducing a teen range... anyone else hear that or did I dream it?

I am not in the UK but we've found Zara to be better for this age range than H&M.

HTH and have fun shopping.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Oct-09 20:29:00

Thanks all! smile
We also have to get the bits and bobs for a shoebox appeal so it won't be totally DD-centred, which is probably just as well. Could set a bad precedent!

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Thu 29-Oct-09 22:31:59

DD is 12 and still in children's sizes (rather than Topshop size 4 or whatever) because she is still itty bitty skinny boy-shaped. She tends to get jeans in Gap Kids, as they seem to do various different kinds to suit different girls' shapes. She will also contemplate H&M and Zara and the occasional top or jumper from Gap Kids and very, very occasionally, New Look.

That's it. It is a nightmare.

She wears either skinny jeans with a little dress over, a denim skirt with a black t-shirt and a black cardigan, or flared jeans with a cropped cardigan.

That's it! And on her feet she wears either PE pump type things or fake Ugly Ugg things. I have no idea what she intends to do when it gets rainy/snowy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now