Talk

Advanced search

Please help! I don't know what to wear anymore

(5 Posts)
FullMooniMarmite Wed 28-Oct-09 14:50:07

I really need some help with my wardrobe.

Before having DS I was a curvy (30E) size 8 on top, 10 on the bottom and at this time of year would be quite happily wearing wrap dresses with boots. I've never been great at casual dressing and not great at accessorising but was generally happy with my wardrobe and needed mainly smart clothes anyway.

I'm now more like a size 10 top 12 bottom but have changed shape completely since having DS last year, need more casual clothes (only in the office one day per week) and have no idea what suits be anymore. I'm still breastfeeding but planning to stop soon and TTC so my size is likely to be changing again but I need a small, temporary wardrobe so I can feel good about myself again.

The bit that hasn't changed is that I'm mid-30s and 5'5''!

I feel like I should be venturing into leggings and dress land but I'm not sure if I'm too short for this. I saw an thread the other day where the OP sounded in a similar dilema and quite similar to me but 5' 2'' - being a complete fashion novice I have no idea if the height difference makes much difference.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

Have to go for now to take DS out but will be back later. V. happy to listen to any advice you have.

Also considering going to John Lewis fashion advisor...is this a good thing to do?

MrsBadger Wed 28-Oct-09 14:58:38

yes go to JL personal shopper, also Debenhams and anywhere else you can find - Topshop are meant to be surprisingly good

dress and leggings are rubbish for bf

nowt wrong with wrap dresses and boots on a sahm but I think the key thing for you will be finding a pair of jeans that fit and flatter you (Gap long and lean are often suggested on here, and for very good reason) and building round those with eg a pair of boots and a handful of decent tops
then adding cardigans, necklaces, scarf etc from your current wardrobe

FullMooniMarmite Wed 28-Oct-09 15:25:34

Thanks MrsB - will read properly later but just realised I should add only feeding morning and evening and not wearing feeding bras so bf doesn't need to affect outfits too much now smile

FullMooniMarmite Wed 28-Oct-09 18:50:52

Thanks again MrsB. I think I will revisit Gap long and lean again. I've bought so many jeans lately and I have trouble with leg length (30 a bit short even with flats but 32 too long with flats) and I also find that I buy a pair that seems to fit and then either I change size or they seem to!

MrsBadger Wed 28-Oct-09 20:23:35

oh they do change size, def. Ones with high lycra content less bad than all cotton though.

I always buy 32" as they inevitably shrink eventually, so they start off as heels-only and end up as suitable-for-flats.

or if you are a confirmed flats-only wearer get them hemmed to 31" - def worth the cash if it measn you wear them day in day out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now