Talk

Advanced search

Really shocked - I have just tried those silkymitts things and they seem to work

(35 Posts)
AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 20:38:31

You know the ones that you use to remove hair on your legs - they're like a pad you wear on your hand and rub it in a circular motion on your legs.

I saw an advert ages ago on the shopping channel and was intrigued but been burned too many times buying stuff off there.

Saw them in the pound shop today, 99p a pack and decided to take a punt. Well you could knock me down with a feather because they seem to actually work. And there's no pain. And it's made my legs really smooth!

There's loads of sort of dust though, apparently that is the dry skin off my legs (ffs!)

I am simultaneously disgusted and impressed.

bishboschone Tue 27-Oct-09 20:40:57

ooh I wasn't convinced by the advert I may try it..pound shop you say? mmmm

Parmageddon Tue 27-Oct-09 20:41:52

I have been looking out for these for ages - I used to buy them about 20 years ago! Do they sell them anywhere else as can't find them in Boots etc?

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 20:45:31

Actually I say pound shop but it was in Bodycare, don't know if they have them in other cities. They're called silkymit but they had loads of different brands.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 20:46:47

I am really pleased, usually use nair (or whatever it's called now) but by god, the stench!

bishboschone Tue 27-Oct-09 20:59:51

is this it?

Narketta Tue 27-Oct-09 21:03:15

I tried them and wished I hadn't bothered.

The skin on my legs went red and puffy and itched like mad.

Never again!!

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 21:25:07

Yes bish, those are the ones I've got

Well I've just finished both legs and they are glowing after a vigorous rubdown. There is a slight smell of spent matches shock but my legs have gone from matted revolting forest to very very smooth and hair free.

I used up 1 and a half of the pads to do both legs. Still pretty good value for money

Will report back any after effects.

How long did the hair stay gone for when you used them parma/narketta?

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Tue 27-Oct-09 21:27:12

Oh, can you still get them? They used to be on sale in Boots about 15-20 years ago and were FAB and I loved them and then sudddenly you couldn't get them any more and my life has never been the same (not to overdramatise or anything...)

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 21:31:32

They have been doing them in bodycare for ages but I never bought them cos I assumed they'd be crap.

I still can't really understand quite how they work tbh - are they sanding the hair off? Or pulling it out? It doesn't seem to hurt!

hormonstersnomore Tue 27-Oct-09 21:49:55

I've used these - they do sand the hair (and skin - be careful!) off. You'll get stubble, just like shaving, after a day or so. Makes your legs nice & smooth initially though. Sheerskin is the one on the shopping channel.

chickbean Tue 27-Oct-09 21:57:11

Be careful though - a girl at my school gave herself the most enormous friction burn which was agony for ages.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 22:05:25

aha, the sheerskin ones have the handle thing, but you have to use their pads.

They did have an upper lip version in bodycare too, might have to try that one.

serant Tue 27-Oct-09 22:24:24

I have used these, they were quick & easy, but i have stopped using them now as they gave me in growing hairs.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 22:37:56

yipes, lots of things to look out for.

Sigh, when will science come up with an answer to this problem.

Nair - too smelly
Wax - too hurty
Razors - too much bleeding, ouch
Lazer treatment - a grand per leg, and it's not even guaranteed permanent
A dh who doesn't mind your hairy legs - priceless!

purplepeony Tue 27-Oct-09 22:45:49

This is so funny- I remember my Mum and her slky mit about 50 years back- she is now 82 and Nairs her legs now!

I used to think her silky mit was really weird- fancy them being back in vogue!

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 23:04:47

I don't know about in vogue, I was very embarassed paying for it grin

purple your mum is 82 and her leg hair upkeep is better than mine - impressed!

pipWereRabbit Tue 27-Oct-09 23:09:27

I used to use these as a teenager.
I'd end up with no skin left - but the hair seemed to survive OK. Perhaps they've been improved in the last few years grin.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 23:16:32

shock pip [hgrin}

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 23:17:08

gah, emoticons are my nemesis apparently

Clary Tue 27-Oct-09 23:20:14

I used these as a teen as well (we are all showing our age grin)

That was xxxx yrs ago but I recall they were pretty good. Stubble the next day but then you get that with razor too.

Epilator is what you need.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 23:36:16

How painful is an epilator? Be honest with me (I can take it)

Would hate to shell out on one and not be able to take it

Clary Tue 27-Oct-09 23:44:50

very painful.

But in a good way.

Like this: if you think plucking eyebrows is painful, then an epilator is a no-no. One the other hand if you find it strangely satisfying, then it may be the way to go.

hobbgoblin Tue 27-Oct-09 23:51:35

can you use on fanjo?

thelunar66 Tue 27-Oct-09 23:55:57

epilator is good. Not actually painful as such, but vodka helps grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now