Talk

Advanced search

This dress - classic or frumpy?

(22 Posts)
MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:45:58

here. I am tall than her though, so it sits a bit higher. And obv. not with weirdy black shoes.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:46:31

taller

CybilWar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:47:13

It's ok... a bit 'safe'?

StephHaydock Tue 27-Oct-09 19:47:15

Red velvet is not a good fabric choice for most people.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:50:18

Was more of a wine colour in the flesh (fabric?). IKWYM re safe though. Think hosiery/accessories will need careful consideration.

CybilWar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:50:59

Have you gasp bought it already?

DiamondHead Tue 27-Oct-09 19:51:14

It looks lovely. I imagine it's much nicer in real life anyway.
Some of the M&S pictures are so awful. I've bought nice stuff from them but when I see them on the internet!! Who does the styling - particularly who picks the shoes out

CybilWar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:51:56

I know the shoes are always DREADFUL. Big old high court shoes for ALL the trousers

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 27-Oct-09 19:52:12

It could work with a wide belt and knee high boots. Styled as the picture, though.....a little bit dull.

MORgueOSKY Tue 27-Oct-09 19:52:41

From that picture it looks quite frumpy.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:53:12

without MN permission you mean shock? of course not. Am really stuck for a winter wedding frock though, as I have a phobia both of baring arms, and of shrugs <boak>. Arms not shocking, just feel weird getting them out in the day hmm.

CybilWar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:56:37

Did you see the Wallis thread t'other day? Sleeved dresses black velevet, quite nice

MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:57:14

You got link, laydee?

Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 27-Oct-09 19:59:29

not keen sorry. just very reminiscent of dresses from about 15 years back to me. There are some lovely ones out there this season so this would not strike me Im afraid. Have you looked at zara, monsoon, top shop?

CybilWar Tue 27-Oct-09 20:02:31

maybe more eveniny than wedding

And I must credit SimonHowl or she'll get the reet hump

MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 20:03:07

Monsoon and Zara ropey this season IMO
Topshop would be ok if I was shopping for something normal for going out for a drink in. But am going to some farking Cheshire Set wedding.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 20:05:15

wallis dress v.nice, but am concerned re. length. Am tall with thunder thighs, but rest of leg ok.

CybilWar Tue 27-Oct-09 20:07:49

Some opaques would do, surely? ANd some fab black suede hidden platform shoes

MaggieBruja Tue 27-Oct-09 20:10:27

I think I'd look really hideous in red velour, BUT, I'm five foot two with moussey brown hair.!!!

Is it for a work christmas party? £29.50 is about right! don't go overboard! lol

MaggieBruja Tue 27-Oct-09 20:12:18

Word of warning about wallis if you're tall,,, uh oh! I have been pleasantly surprised that some of their normal stuff hasn't been too long. If I were sic foot, it would be indecent. I'd be arrested. So Wallis very much for the five foot 4 woman imo. (glad somebody is catering for her!)

wahwah Tue 27-Oct-09 20:21:26

If you are tall then Long Tall Sally can be good, at least dresses fit properly on the waist The Hepburn dress ( sorry can't do links on phone) is a similar sort of style. It could look lovely styled up properly. Ime LTS is usually good quality and looks more expensive than it is.

MrsMotMot Tue 27-Oct-09 20:39:33

Def too long on that model and the shoes are hideous. If you had some good shoes to go with it I think it's classic rather than frumpy. I like the puffs. I bought a very similar one in black velvet from M&S last year and with a belt looks quite 40s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now