Talk

Advanced search

Country house wear ...

(23 Posts)
Charney Tue 27-Oct-09 16:59:31

Hi

Can anyone help me please blush? My DH, DS and I have been invited to a week at a country house (Goddards - http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/featured/goddards.htm) with 5 other couples (all who have considerably more money than us and none of which I know).

Since having DS, I am now a size 16 on the bottom and 14 on the top and live in jeans and t-shirts. I am now in a dilemma as to what to wear. In my mind, the other women will be floating around in White Company-esque cashmere clothing but I do not know them so really don't know. To make matters worse we have to "dress for dinner" one night. What on earth am I supposed to wear? The invitation says "evening dress". I have a cocktail dress from a recent wedding but am presuming that this won't be dressy enough and can't squeeze myself into my old long dresses.

Oh, and I shouls say, I have a very limited budget! I have been looking on ebay at the made dresses (from China and the UK) and love some of them but sadly the more over the top ones which I would never have the gall to wear!!!

Any advice please ...?

Many, many thanks in advance!!

luciemule Tue 27-Oct-09 18:20:47

Firstly it says dress for dinner - not black tie so it doesn't have to be a long dress.
A nice cocktail dress will be fine I'm sure. If you wanted a long dress you could always look on ebay as there are loads of nice ones usually. To me, dress for dinner would just mean dress up (ie,not denim) and so you could wear a nice knee length skirt with pretty top or black trousers and a jacket and tie for DHs.
Next have some really nice longline cardis for daytime to put over tops with cords/jeans--you can get the same country-ish look without buying from white company - although they do have some good web offers at the moment!

Charney Tue 27-Oct-09 20:14:24

Thanks luciemule

See, I thought "evening dress" meant long dress (going to be out of my depth here I think!) I do know that all the men are wearing lounge suits!

hf128219 Tue 27-Oct-09 20:17:38

'Evening dress' when the men are in lounge suits translates as 'Equivalent for Ladies'

Yes - the mind does boggle! In summary a day dress would be fine - or smart trousers and top. Try and jazz it up for the evening though.

KristinaM Tue 27-Oct-09 20:20:21

yes nice cocktail dress will be fine

remember wellies, warm waterproof jacket and hat for country walks smile

KristinaM Tue 27-Oct-09 20:21:53

oh and most important - you must have a wonderful time and have lots of passionate sex with your Dh to bring a glow to your cheeks

hf128219 Tue 27-Oct-09 20:22:38

Umbrella. Hot water bottle. Hip flask.

Charney Tue 27-Oct-09 20:24:16

Thanks for the replies.

Can I have jazzy wellies or should I stick with plain green? I feel I should take a look through the Boden catalogue for ideas ... Not very good at the country look smile

hf128219 Tue 27-Oct-09 20:31:38

Oh just be yourself! Jazzy wellies are fine. Although green or blue are better!

Jeans/trousers are fine for day with a blouse/cardigan combi. Or a casual dress. Loafers/ballet pumps. String of pearls and a silk scarf. Diamond studs or pearl ear-rings if you have them!

Evening - trousers/skirts/dresses in dressier fabrics. Heels/ballet pumps.

Charney Tue 27-Oct-09 20:59:36

Thanks hf128219. I do want to be myself but a smarter (and more fitting-in) 'me' IYKWIM?!

It's a good chance to buy something that's not jeans ... but I think the string of pearls and silk scarf are a bit too not-me wink

Thanks again ... off to look for wellies now

hf128219 Tue 27-Oct-09 21:03:13

www.hunter-boot.com/1/Welcome-To-The-Home-Of-Hunter-Wellies.aspx

Look no further!

And get a good haircut!

luciemule Tue 27-Oct-09 21:03:54

oh -sorry - didn't see you said evening dress! Your cocktail dress will still be fine though.

KristinaM Wed 28-Oct-09 08:24:22

if it really was " black tie" the men would be in dinner suits or equivalent formal evening wear eg kilts and black jackets

if the men are in lounge suits then a cocktail dress will be fine

if you already have jazzy wellies I wouldn't go out and buy another green pair. esp if you are short of ££££

goddards look very comfortable but not at all "posh". its not a grand country house, just a lovely house in the country you are all renting for the weekend. Don't be intimidated smile

VintageGaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahdenia Wed 28-Oct-09 08:31:22

I don't think you should be worried about it. Just because there are several couples staying in a house in the country doesn't mean you have to get a wardrobe to suit an Agatha Christie book! Definitely don't get new wellies etc or start wearing strings of pearls and Liberty scarves.

I'd bring what you'd wear at home for going on a walk, and your cocktail dress. If you have any money to spend get a nice haircut before you go so you'll feel a bit more done. Or get a new dress for dinner with whatever budget you have.

Enjoy yourself! Wish it was me!

Charney Wed 28-Oct-09 09:05:22

Thanks all. VintageGaaaaaa ... you made me laugh. That's exactly what I had in mind - all country house wardrobe!

I'm glad you have put my mind at rest. I will get some things I am more comfy in and are good for normal wear.

Thanks again all ...

nobid Wed 28-Oct-09 09:46:35

"Definitely don't get new wellies etc or start wearing strings of pearls and Liberty scarves."

Don't buy new stuff. There is nothing that shouts arriviste louder than brand-new, never-been-worn-before, specially-bought-for-the-occasion clothes. As for the pearls: borrow granny's.wink

GentleOtter Wed 28-Oct-09 09:58:49

Don't worry about anything else other than having a wonderful time and feeling comfortable.
Clothes do not maketh man and all that.

Earthymama Wed 28-Oct-09 10:17:49

I was going to be cross and say, be yourself for goodness sake, but then I thought, treat yourself to something nice that you will wear again at home and feel lovely in. There are some really nice woolies aound this at the moment. Go for plain layers with nice warm accessories.

I receieved a catalogue from some organic sheepskin company and made myself green with envy until I imagined myself spilling things on them (have large norkage that attracts spills!!) or being covered in sticky fingers from my DGC!! So be practical, but treat yourself and you'll have good memories when you next wear your new clothes.

But be buggered to what sodding jewellry the 'Rules' say to wear!! And Liberty scarves, I'd terrify myself and see my Nan every time I looked in the mirror....

Chandon Wed 28-Oct-09 10:39:20

This reminds me of Bridget Jones grin

remember when she goes to country house and imagines herself in floaty white dress...

Anyway, don´t be intimidated by your surroundings. Wear the cocktail dress and wellies you have, and maybe treat yourelf to one White Company top?!

John lewis do excellent Cashmere jumpers and cardies for around 50 (not cheap cheap, but a good price for cashmere)

Jajas Wed 28-Oct-09 11:11:48

I have to say I think Hunter wellies are sooo over! They cost a fortune now as opposed to a few years back and they are darned uncomfortable to be honest. I love my muckboots and I think a bit more 'proper' country. Liberty scarves ~ snort! Yes earthymama I would be seeing the Queen everytime I caught sight of myself in the mirror (ok if that's the image OP is trying to cultivate!)

Sounds like a lovely weekend and hope you have a great time! We will need a report when you return grin!

hf128219 Wed 28-Oct-09 17:14:19

I was thinking more of a Hermes Scarf. Tied around waist.

Charney Wed 28-Oct-09 21:54:43

Thanks all. You have suitably reassured me that I don't need to worry about what I wear. To be honest, I hate shopping and being able to wear things I already have is very comforting!

GentleOtter Thu 29-Oct-09 16:40:12

Oh, please let us know how everything went- all the details and gossip and everything.

I am quite excited for you.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now