Talk

Advanced search

A few questions about the oil cleansing method for those who use it, please

(11 Posts)
yelpol Mon 26-Oct-09 13:49:47

Hi all, I want to start the oil cleansing method but have a few questions...

I've read the method on the website and see that it says "This deep cleansing method should be done regularly, but not too frequently."

So my questions are:

How often should this be done?
What should you use to wash your face in between?
Should you be using moisturiser or does this method mean that your face should be naturally moisturised?
If you should not be using moisturiser but your skin feels like it needs a bit more, should you use a small amount of the formula directly on your face in place of moisturiser?
Anything else I need to know? eg: anything you do slightly differently that is effective for you, etc.

If it helps to answer my question, I reckon I have normal skin with the occassional blemish/mini-outbreak.

Thank you ladies, you are all so smart so I'm sure you can help! (I am a long-time lurker and very occassional poster)

yelpol Mon 26-Oct-09 14:43:37

anyone?...

ruddynorah Mon 26-Oct-09 14:55:08

i do it every morning and just wipe with hot flannel at night. sometimes i just wipe with hot flannel in the morning too if i'm in a big rush.

no need for moisturiser. if your skin is coming out dry you need to adjust your oil mix. or yes, try putting some oil on the dry bit. but really you shouldn't have to.

anything else..i just use neat olive oil, my skin is very oily T zone, very dry A zone and this seems to work to balance it all out. i used to do 10% castor oil but found it dried out my A zone just a bit too much.

teertornado Tue 27-Oct-09 13:33:28

I've been doing the OCM since I first read about here(I think it was Spring)and my skin has never been better.

I tried it at first using a mix of castor oil and olive oil but found the castor oil much too drying so I now just use a tiny bit (5p size)of neat extra-virgin olive oil am and pm and wipe it of with a hot damp cloth and then splash with cold water...I use the steaming method of removal about 3 or 4 times a week.

Hope that helps

Romanarama Tue 27-Oct-09 14:09:37

Not to be a downer, but I tried it for a few months and my skin was awful - sort of loaded with bumps under the skin. I stopped about a month ago and it's pretty much cleared up now. I started with just olive oil, tried some diff concentrations of castor oil, then went from olive to sunflower, then gave up.

Seededbiatch Tue 27-Oct-09 14:20:09

I fancy having a go at this but what I want to know is will I have to use something different for removing the little bit mascara I wear or do I just rub the olive oil/ olive oil castor oil mix all over my face, eyeslids and lashes included?

ruddynorah Tue 27-Oct-09 18:41:16

the oil gets rid of the make up easily. you just wipe away with the flannel. you may want to use some tissue after just to fully de oil your lashes.

get lots of flannels! i have brown ones smile

Firsttimer7259 Tue 27-Oct-09 19:43:54

I do it about 3 times a week. I go by how skin is feeling. use water and basic moisturiser or a little oil amand pm.

My OCM mix is 10% castor oil, 40% wheatgerm oil and 50% grapeseed oil.

I have seen some people complain about break outs and wonder if this has something to do with the quality of the oil they are using.. I think the kind of olive/almond oil you buy in the chemists in a big bottle for under £2 is still quite thick and sticky. I buy facial oil from health food store (its thinner and I think more refined). And when I do OCM I really steam it all through thoroughly.

Skin is getting better and better. I have combination skin thats quite sensitive. Good quality facial oil is more expensive, but I think that ingredient wise oil must be better for your skin - Have a look at the ingredients on a skin cream box. I dont think a lot of that stuff nourishes your skin. It may stretch it or plump it up, coat it etc but does it really do good?

yelpol Tue 27-Oct-09 23:03:18

thanks ladies! i used to use the expensive oil (I got it from Space NK) but i can't remember the name now. it is tres expensive though but it gave wonderful results - i was really surprised that it didn't leave my skin oily at all. i did use a bit of moisturer as usual though. so i think this oil cleansing may be good for me and much cheaper.

yelpol Tue 27-Oct-09 23:03:43

shu umera, that's what it was called... great stuff.

Seededbiatch Fri 30-Oct-09 18:38:04

I already have black flannels and will buy some good oils. I'm convinced. I'll have a go.

I started washing my hair using the 'no poo' after hearing about it on here and am pleased with the results from that so why no oil cleansing too?

Good old Mumsnet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now