Talk

Advanced search

Confused about what sort of boots to get - please help!

(9 Posts)
Ktay Mon 26-Oct-09 12:25:35

Sorry to add to the numerous posts about boots but you clearly know your stuff... I really need to sort myself out with some flat (or low-heeled) knee-high boots but I've looked at so many pairs now that my head is spinning and I've lost sight of what would suit me best (both in terms of appearance and practicality).

I tend to wear dresses and short-ish denim or A-line skirts. (The only trousers I own are jeans and I'm not planning to wear my new boots with those.) My 'wardrobe', such as it is, is mainly black, navy and grey with the odd bit of purple, so I'm confused about what colour(s) to go for too.

I initially thought that what I really wanted was some nice plain black flat leather boots along these lines
But realistically I'm going to be spending autumn and winter on maternity leave pushing a buggy round parks/alongside rivers, so that sort of thing is probably too smart for my immediate needs. And are they necessarily a good match for denim miniskirts and the like?

I'd really appreciate some guidance on more practical options that are still fairly dainty/feminine. I saw these at the weekend but I wonder whether they're too much of a halfway house between plain and casual?

Any advice (regarding colour or style) that might help me make my mind up would be most welcome. I will probably end up getting one fairly casual pair initially and then something smarter for when I go back to work. In terms of budget, I'm willing to pay up to about £150 for the right thing. To compound the problem, I have narrow calves - but I'm bewildered by the choice when I look at places like Duo so am keen to have a firmer grasp of what I'm after before I pay them a visit.

Thanks in anticipation!

Amandoh Mon 26-Oct-09 13:00:19

The Camper boots look great. I've just bought a pair of brown boots but wish I'd seen the brown Camper pair first.

I've linked to these Clarks boots ad nauseum but they really are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned and at only £75.00 you won't have to worry about trudging through a muddy park in them.

If I were you I'd up the budget a little and get a black and a brown pair so you don't have to wear the same pair every day and each colour will give your outfits a different look.

Mimi1977 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:18:05

I love the camper ones. I'd second the getting a brown and black pair of boots, especially if you have a lot of black and brown coats/clothes.

Ktay Mon 26-Oct-09 13:36:28

Thank you both for your quick replies! I'm reassured that the Camper boots look like a good bet. Thanks for the link to the Clarks boots Amandoh - I will have a look for them in my local branch (would need to assess chunkiness of sole in the flesh I think).

Agree a couple of different colours is probably a good way to go - possibly by getting my smarter pair in the second colour? I don't actually have many brown clothes though - what's the 'official line' on mixing eg navy clothes with brown boots? Would I be better off looking at eg tan or grey for the second pair?

Thanks again - and sorry if I don't manage to get on again much before tomorrow, have overnight guests due imminently...

Ktay Tue 27-Oct-09 11:51:54

Bump in case anyone else has top tips on styles I should be looking at - and whether it's worth me getting brown clothes given that my wardrobe is mainly an uninspired combo of black/navy/grey...

Ktay Tue 27-Oct-09 11:52:32

sorry brown boots not clothes...

Amandoh Tue 27-Oct-09 14:12:01

I really don't think there are the unwritten rules regarding wearing black and brown together that we used to feel we had to adhere to.

This outfit is very similar to what I'm wearing today except my dress has longer sleeves and a lower neckline. I wasn't carted off by the Fashion Police when I walked the dogs. grin

In the first of the two photos Hayden Panettiere is wearing brown boots with what looks like either a navy or black coat. She looks fine doesn't she?

Brown boots worn with grey and again here with black leggings and black coat.

Hope this helps. smile

Ktay Tue 27-Oct-09 19:07:36

Thanks for going to the effort of digging out those pics Amandoh. The old fogey traditionalist in me can't quite get used to the mix of darker brown and black but I think the lighter boots in some of those photos look fine with navy/black, particularly where there's another colour inbetween.

I especially like the pair that Michelle Williams is wearing - they're more or less what I had in my mind's eye before I got myself in this pickle...

Amandoh Tue 27-Oct-09 21:57:03

You're welcome Ktay but honestly it was no trouble at all. I just typed "Brown boots" into Google images and hoped I'd find someone wearing brown boots with some of the colours you have in your wardrobe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now