Talk

Advanced search

Duo boots

(22 Posts)
doglover Sun 25-Oct-09 22:35:02

Having exhausted all other options for boots, I think I'm looking at Duo to meet my requirements!! They are expensive and I'm really hoping that you might be able to give me your opinions on the products/company. I would haveto rely on their online service because I don't live near their shops. i've read all their measuring instructions but how accurate can they be? I particularly like the Malmo and Brinski styles so if you've any views on them, I'd be very grateful. Many thanks.

doglover Sun 25-Oct-09 22:56:55

bump

NickNemo Sun 25-Oct-09 23:16:47

Hi, I've bought from Duo before as I have very skinny calves, and my boots have lasted me five years now, of medium use. They are very helpful on the phone and are pretty accurate with measurements.

They are very expensive, even more so now, so I would see the boots as an investment, not a trend purchase, iyswim?

doglover Sun 25-Oct-09 23:24:00

Absolutely, NN. I'm looking for sturdy, classic boots that will last years, not be out of date by next season. (I'm not exactly a trend-setter, as you can probably tell!!) Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

luciemule Sun 25-Oct-09 23:37:49

I was about to buy some boots from Duo and then saw that Marisota have a large range of different calf fittings, if that's the problem. Haven't bought any yet but will do soon. Duo very expensive but worth it to get the right pair.

purplepeony Mon 26-Oct-09 09:29:31

I don't agree that DUO are expensive- they are half the price of Russell and Bromley boots and slightly more than Clarks- which seem to retail around £100.

Malmo is very casual - I have tried it but went for Oristano in the end and also Kirov which are my dressy boots inblack suede and gorgeous.

warthog Mon 26-Oct-09 09:33:09

i recently bought some duo boots and i think as long as you follow their measuring instructions you should be fine. i did and for the first time in my life i have a pair of beautifully made, long boots. gorgeous!

brimfull Mon 26-Oct-09 09:50:30

The malmo ones are very plain in real life -almost welly like.
I found when I treid on some that they were too short in the leg for me.

As a fat calf person the boots stopping on the biggest part of the calf is not flattering.
If you put in your exact size the website gives you the leg length measurement which helps.
I like the avignon one as it's a bit higher on the leg.

brimfull Mon 26-Oct-09 09:51:28

Obviously if you are a skinny calf then shorter ones are fine.

LaurieScaryCake Mon 26-Oct-09 09:55:11

I have 4 pairs of Duo - the first pair I bought in 2003 are still immaculate

Sizing is exactly what it says.

I think they're good value and in the sale they are positively bargainous.

cece Mon 26-Oct-09 10:09:58

I also have 4 pairs and they have lasted well. If you aren't sure of sizing then phone them up they were extremely helpful when I did so. Expensive but good value imo.

fluffles Mon 26-Oct-09 10:13:06

i love my duo boots. i have three pairs. the first are over six years old and still basically ok.

if you want them to last look for heels that can be re-heeled and also heels that are not leather covered... my wedges have not lasted as well as the more classic design but that's just cause the leather of the wedge is all scraped and worn.

can't recommend them highly enough..

fluffles Mon 26-Oct-09 10:16:08

oh, and personally i'd go for brindisi or avignon over the malmo which i think will look a bit like a welly.

naughtystepforme Mon 26-Oct-09 10:21:32

I had some Duo boot, they were really good quality with excellent customer service, I really recommend them.

sweetnitanitro Mon 26-Oct-09 10:23:54

I think my Duo boots were £120 a couple of years ago so not massively expensive but as NickNemo said it's an investment as they are really good quality and will last ages. The lining is so soft and comfy grin and the fit is perfect. I measured my calves slightly bigger in case I wanted to wear jeans or leggings tucked into my boots.

iWantAnOooooooooohAtPauls Mon 26-Oct-09 10:31:05

I have a pair of Avignon boots and all the children at school say that I look like a pirate. I'm taking that as a compliment. grin

NickNemo Mon 26-Oct-09 12:16:42

Oh, forgot, mine were the Ravenna, which is the classic shape, medium heel and go with everything style.

One thing I would have done differently maybe would have been to measure my calves slightly looser, as another poster has indicated, as my boots are very fitted and I can wear them with tights but not over jeans.

purplepeony Mon 26-Oct-09 12:25:04

Only other point which I have mentioned before, is that some of their boots are better sutied to fatter claves and some to slimmer ones!

I have skinny 32" calves and some boots just looked too chunky.

I have 3 pairs including Ravenna, but I have also sold 2 pairs on Ebay over last 2 years. I got a good price- £60 for 1 pair- so they seem to hold their value!

My only negative comment is that the foot size and shape differs a lot with styles and even though I am a generous size 38/5, and even a 6 sometimes, Ifind some of Duo's boots long at the toe.

If you possibly can get to a fitting room as all the boots do fit slightly differnetly- some have wider ankles, some seem generous (or not) and so on.

I had my heart set on Etinee, but when I tired it, the ankle was quite baggy sad.

doglover Mon 26-Oct-09 20:40:13

Thanks, everyone. I went shopping today and have actually bought some Uggs!! (Noone can be more surprised that me!) Trying them on was a revelation...... so comfortable and they actually fitted my calves. I've bought the Classic Tall Bomber in brown leather which are truly scrummy. I've still got my eye on the Duo website, however!

roary Tue 27-Oct-09 15:50:48

I was so prepared to love Duo, but am grumpy that I've just paid 2 lots of postage to return boots: once to get a smaller size (I found that the Oristanos did not run to size, ran huge) and once because they are just gapingly wide around the foot. They're beautiful quality, just a bit deceptive because you would expect such precise calf measurement to translate to narrow feet measurements (ie, if you're going to offer many calf widths offer many foot widths) but they don't I won't be ordering again, sadly.

Hobbs has beautiful boots and many of them are £50 off right now!

PuppyMonkey Tue 27-Oct-09 15:55:43

Ooh, I bought a pair of Ravenna last week... I was a duo virgin, but MN converted me. £120 is what they cost - about the going rate for boots and I really do know as I traipsed around every shop in the land looking for some until I thought feck, try the duo website.

Should say I haven't worn them yet - but they look all lovely!smile

cnjohnson Fri 30-Oct-09 22:25:49

Hello, first post on mumsnet, so please be gentle with me. I have been buying boots from Duo for the las 5 years and I have to say they are fantastic. The 2009 range is a little less conservative than in the past but there are a couple of pairs I would buy this season.

One tip I did find out is that I have to buy a size bigger than I normally do as there sizing does not match other retailers. For example I buy a euro 41, which is normally a 7, but Duo says that a 41 is an 8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now