Talk

Advanced search

Typically how many wears do you get from a pair of tights?

(17 Posts)
lisbey Sun 25-Oct-09 17:24:35

Apart from indestructible opaques, I seem to need a new pair everyday.

If I don't put a finger through them putting them on or off, or snag them on something during the day, the washing machine shreds them. It happens with even fairly sturdy looking patterned tights.

Just me?

PuppyMonkey Sun 25-Oct-09 17:25:58

I've got tights that are three or four years old, me. grin

MrsBadger Sun 25-Oct-09 17:27:25

I solve this by only ever wearing said indestructible opaques...

MmeGoblindt Sun 25-Oct-09 17:28:27

Cheap 5 pack from Tesco: 2000 wears

Expensive designer jobbies: 1 wear.

MrsBadger Sun 25-Oct-09 17:41:12

oh and get a laundry bag for the washing machine problem
or use a nappy mesh if you have them knocking about, or a pillowcase

Montifer Sun 25-Oct-09 19:30:55

Very rarely more than one, seem to ladder them putting them on nearly every time and I haven't even got long nails.

Mimi1977 Sun 25-Oct-09 19:31:51

Was freaked out by this before I opened it - I thought you meant how many wears do you get before you wash them and was thinking oh no gross - someone doesn't wash them after every wear!!! grin

GwarchodwrPlant Sun 25-Oct-09 19:32:56

Here's another tip- wear a thin pair of socks under them to stop your toenails snagging them. You get more wear from them that way and you can wash them less often as your socks absorb the sweat from your feet.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 25-Oct-09 19:33:33

Not nearly enough angry

I always manage to snag them on the zip of my boots. Not sure how normal folk pull of the whole tights/boots thing.

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 19:34:33

hardly any
wear leggings if cas

Niecie Sun 25-Oct-09 19:42:57

Not enough. Probably, for non-opaques, about 2 or 3 wears. Can sometimes eke it out a bit by copious use of nail varnish to stop runs on the feet where the holes are covered by shoes. Couldn't take my shoes off in polite company though.

Don't wash them in the washing machine with anything that has zips or buttons - usually I do an underwear wash with pants and socks. Lost too many pairs before I finally twigged that it wasn't wise to wash them with your bra or jeans.

CMOTdibbler Sun 25-Oct-09 20:33:41

Opaques - lots. Sheers - about 3, but depends on the shoes.

I have taken to wearing micronet fishnets for work as they are almost as hardwearing as opaques

lisbey Mon 26-Oct-09 19:20:53

Oooh CMOT - I have been looking at fishnets and wondering if I've got the guts to wear them for work. How old are you and do you get "comments"?

Have you got a link for the micronet ones you mention?

cat64 Mon 26-Oct-09 19:24:47

Message withdrawn

CMOTdibbler Mon 26-Oct-09 21:03:50

The Levante ones are gorgeous, but I have an assortment of other brands.

It's really hard to tell that they are fishnet apart from v closeup.

I am 37, and the only comment was an admiring oooh from my female colleagues. They only noticed (and they are usually v sharp on new clothes) when we were jammed in the back of a taxi together

EdgarAllenPoo Mon 26-Oct-09 21:08:00

i generally get a reasonable level of wear out of M& S opaques. anything less than 60 denier or patterned seems to do less well.

since having kids tights have done much less well, no matter how soft babies are they do seem to find snagging points...

Fleecy Mon 26-Oct-09 21:11:07

I bought four pairs of gorgeous coloured tights from Dorothy Perkins. Have so far worn the bright red ones (laddered first time) and the mustard ones (laddered first time)

Don't buy tights from Dorothy Perkins if you want to get your money's worth angry

I usually get lots of wear from tights, just use clear nail varnish and don't take my shoes off if I get little ladders on the foot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now