Talk

Advanced search

i am an APPLE and i want a DRESS. i haven't had one in years because i like breathing out. too much

(150 Posts)
AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 15:38:54

...but i was wondering what with new shapes etc etc if there was anything that might be out there for me. it's all about the lack of waist for me. actually, it's all about the fact that i have no abdominal muscles to speak of, post-children. so i might look okay in a dress but then, you know, i sit down and... sack of spuds.

CybilAviationAuthority Sun 25-Oct-09 15:45:30

what dress are we talking? Daytime worky or posh evening?

brimfull Sun 25-Oct-09 15:47:23

pmsl at thread title

said Sun 25-Oct-09 15:48:25

I'm a bit appley and this is pretty and flattering

PoisonToadstool Sun 25-Oct-09 15:48:32

<watching with interest>

I was an hourglass once sad

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 15:53:04

thanks said, that is pretty, although i don't think there's a single pretty thing in my wardrobe (some of it is positively hateful towards me grin). hmm. maybe i should just get done over by one of those scary personal shoppers?

i work from home and don't go to posh evening things so i'm looking for daytime but sharp daytime, the kind of daytime clothes that won't make me look like someone's bloody MOTHER.
i was looking longingly, you see, at the cashmere knitted dresses on the wallis thread, but i might be severely barking up the wrong apple tree.

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 15:53:06

thanks said, that is pretty, although i don't think there's a single pretty thing in my wardrobe (some of it is positively hateful towards me grin). hmm. maybe i should just get done over by one of those scary personal shoppers?

i work from home and don't go to posh evening things so i'm looking for daytime but sharp daytime, the kind of daytime clothes that won't make me look like someone's bloody MOTHER.
i was looking longingly, you see, at the cashmere knitted dresses on the wallis thread, but i might be severely barking up the wrong apple tree.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 25-Oct-09 15:55:21

I didn't laugh at the thread title I threw myself at it and bowed it describes me.
I have bought a coule of dresses recently am trying to find pics.

NorkilyChallenged Sun 25-Oct-09 15:56:43

I think we could definitely find something for you. Have demanding children to play with just now (if I hear "mummy come to my SHOP" one more time, i may explode) but will pop back soon and see what I can find. I'm sure much more expert people that I will be along before then.

Dresses to wear with tights (given that it's winter) or leggings or jeans?

I'm guessing just above knee rather than long or below knee, but how short are you willing to consider? Some of the tunic dresses require a test to ensure they aren't camel-toe revealing....

NorkilyChallenged Sun 25-Oct-09 15:57:32

Not quite sure why my demanding children turned themselves into some kind of link... possibly to do with their current retail enterprise blush wink

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 15:58:42

i have no desire to reveal my camel toe but would be very happy in leggings as i have rather lovely pins. and a neat arse. and decent tits of a fair but not off-putting size.

and the STOMACH OF AN ELEPHANT. [grin}

nevergoogledragonbutter Sun 25-Oct-09 16:00:22

am i on the right lines with this?

said Sun 25-Oct-09 16:00:32

Can wear with leggings?

Katisha Sun 25-Oct-09 16:20:45

Empire line, empire line, everything is effing empire line...
Makes me look like a weightlifter.

Firepile Sun 25-Oct-09 16:54:56

Beware the personal shopper, Aitch. The woman I engaged found absolutely nothing for me in the whole of the Oxford Street John Lewis. A shop with more clothes than you can shake a stick at. Now I concede that I am small, round and untidy looking, but not really a hight/width outlier, or so I thought.

You can tell that you are onto a loser when they get very enthusiastic about shoes...

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 17:12:14

and so what did you google to get that, db...? too ethnic, since you ask. grin

i may have to look in white stuff, you know, that dress is nice but it will depend on how it hangs under my bust. (i am of an age to say bust, i fear). i've been put off by 1. my confusing it with the white company and 2. 'lovely stuff for lovely people'.

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 17:12:33

oh and rofl at height/width outlier.

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 18:50:30

so oyu have tits and a tummy is that it?
empire line no good?

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 18:52:50

empire line makes me look a bit pregnant, i always think. tits not massive, just a c/d, so nothing too outrageous.

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 18:53:30

would a woollen dress and leggings make me look like a toffee apple, do you think? or a boiled egg on stilts?

said Sun 25-Oct-09 18:54:54

Well, I've never bought WS before but the dress in 1st link a) got lots of compliments when I wore it b) hides post "baby" belly and c) is short enough to show of legs which for apples are usually slim/shapely

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 18:55:48

surely id depends on cut of said dress.
you need a blunt mate

LordVetinarisApprentice Sun 25-Oct-09 18:57:44

LOL Firepile! Your description of yourself exactly describes me! Especially the untidy part, I will NEVER be elegant...<sighs>

AitchTwoToTangOh Sun 25-Oct-09 18:59:01

och, i'm my own blunt mate, fear not, hence the fact that i've never bought one. i fear the one big tit thing of a sweater dress, but there is a part of me that fancies one.

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 19:01:40

what about this kind ofhsape - dipped neckline, no emprie line, quite slim in skirt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now