Talk

Advanced search

cheapish interview outfit

(8 Posts)
flabbyapronbelly Sun 25-Oct-09 11:35:50

Hello style gurus!
Have an interview on Tuesday and have just realised that my only suit was bought in the year 2000! Have also recently had a baby so doubt I will fit in my old work clothes so will need to get something new.
The job is mid level and public sector (local government) so not sure whether to suit and boot or not? Does anyone have any good ideas on what I should wear. Don't have much money so will need to be cheap high street (new look, Dorothy Perkins,etc) and don't have time to order online. I am a size 16 and 5'2'' so hoping for something flattering if it is even possible!
Thanks, am truly a fashion no go area at the mo' so help!

JanJanJanJan Sun 25-Oct-09 21:00:00

You can buy great value skirt/trouser suits from Tesco or even Matalan. You say you have just had a baby....I think you can buy part elastic waisted trousers too so you will be able to wear them again. Good Luck.

EccentricaGallumbats Sun 25-Oct-09 21:01:08

I'd second Tesco.

NorkilyChallenged Sun 25-Oct-09 21:04:37

How about just black trousers from somewhere cheap (Dotty P, Tesco, etc) and then a nice top, without going the whole suit route? Acutally just looked and New Look does cheap suits if you feel that's most appropriate (I must say I have always worn a black trouser suit to interviews... boring but classic)

Otherwise, I have just got into dresses for work so something like this if you have a shirt/thin long-sleeved top to wear underneath or a jacket to wear on top?

NorkilyChallenged Sun 25-Oct-09 21:06:16

A few nice dresses in New Look actually if you fancy it:

in grey

lovely, but maybe a bit restrictive depending on your bust size

flabbyapronbelly Sun 25-Oct-09 21:37:32

love the dresses norkily, but am pretty large up top so reckon I'd look quite matronly unfortunately <oh to be a waif>.
Reckon will wear black suit with nice top under and suss out what the place is like and maybe remove the suit jacket if feel overdressed.

NorkilyChallenged Mon 26-Oct-09 07:37:58

Black suit is definitely the tack I always take with interviews, FAB! Good luck.

Nice top in an interesting colour to make up for black suit (I favour a lovely green) plus a nice necklace.

Let us know what you wear... er.. and how the interview goes too <got priorities right emoticon> wink

flabbyapronbelly Tue 27-Oct-09 07:55:35

Have gone with black suit and emerald green top. Didn't think of accessories - damn. Will see what necklaces I have. Thanks for help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now