Talk

Advanced search

Any hairdressers around? Want to go from black to light brown - how?

(14 Posts)
Ewe Fri 23-Oct-09 20:21:24

Obviously I intend to go to a salon to get it done but every time I mention it to my hairdresser she ummms and aaahs and says she will pop on a lighter semi permanent dark brown and it never seems to get lighter.

What do I need to do/ask for? What are my options?

Ewe Fri 23-Oct-09 20:22:14

This is what I would like and you can see my pic on profile for how dark I am now.

Ewe Fri 23-Oct-09 20:29:47

Bump!

Besom Fri 23-Oct-09 20:29:47

Is your hair naturally black or is it dye?

If dyed, I've had something they called 'a remove' which was, they said, less harsh than bleaching it, and took out a lot of the dark dye. This was a few months ago and I'm a lot happier with it now. Hair has always been a bit dry, but it doesn't seem to have got any worse.

Ewe Fri 23-Oct-09 20:31:28

I am naturally a light mousey brown, the colour is a demi-permanent all over but pretty much as dark brown as it gets.

A remove, I guess that is a colour stripper? Hairdresser did mention it but said I would need three treatments of it! Eeek. Did it cost you a fortune? Did you dye over it once it was stripped?

TrickOrTreatersDragOnTheNoose Fri 23-Oct-09 20:33:14

If your current colour is only semi permanent, won't it wash out??

TrickOrTreatersDragOnTheNoose Fri 23-Oct-09 20:33:56

Head and Shoulders shampoo is often recommended on MN to help strip colour.

Besom Fri 23-Oct-09 20:35:48

I only needed one treatment (and hair was pretty black from years of semi permanents) although they were initially saying I might need more than one. They put a lighter semi permanent on and also highlights. The first time it was a bit reddish but they have sorted it out better on subsequent visits.

I think it cost about £12O for the treatment, colour and highlights, so a small fortune, yes, but worth it to me.

Baby Ewe is gorgeous btw!

Besom Fri 23-Oct-09 20:37:50

If you do semis for long enough it becomes permanent.

They did tell me to use vosene for a couple of weeks before the treatment to try to strip as much out as possible.

Ewe Fri 23-Oct-09 20:39:52

It's a demi-permanent which is between a semi and a permanent as I understand it, either way, it doesn't seem to fade at all.

£120 would be more than worth it, I look like death if I don't have a full face of slap on!

Thank you... I'm a little biased but yes, she is gorgeous grin I was blonder than she is when I was her age and I have a feeling people think I am her nanny with my dark hair and brown eyes!

Besom Fri 23-Oct-09 20:53:11

I'm older than you so it really wasn't suiting me any more. I didn't want to end up like one of those scary older women you see still dying their hair black and painting on their eyebrows at the age of 72!

PoisonToadstool Fri 23-Oct-09 20:56:53

Have you asked your stylist why it is not getting lighter?

I dyed my hair black for years until I'd had enough, and did what you describe - my hairdresser used a dark brown, then a mid brown, and within a year I was back to my normal boring brownish colour.

I did have it quite short at the start of the process though, may have made a difference? All grown back now - and three years later I have the urge to cut it all off and dye it black again hmm

LynetteScavo Fri 23-Oct-09 20:59:01

I have lots of dark permanant colour on my hair. Next month I'm having it all taken off, and a lighter colour put on, so the re-growth of my roots isn't so obvious.

I haven't dared ask how much it wll be. I'm also having it cut that day, and have a 3 hour apt.

I've been told people with home colours put on have more trouble getting an even tone afterwards.

Ewe Fri 23-Oct-09 21:25:16

Yeah, she said she wants to take it slowly. Not getting any lighter at all as far as I can see though, I think the tone has changed slightly but it's still just as dark, just slightly warmer. I think I will ask to see someone else next time I go!

Never had a home colour so hopefully won't have a tone problem. Will start using vosene or head & shoulders now to see if I can strip it a bit myself. My hair is quite long which might make it harder as the tips are obviously more dyed than the roots, it's in very good condition though so should be able to take a reasonable amount of stripping/colouring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now