Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me about dry shampoo for brown hair....

(16 Posts)
chattermouse Fri 23-Oct-09 13:52:36

Boring i know, but i really want to find a brand that actually works and does not leave a white dust on my brown hair.

Years ago, i used a brand (name of which escapes me, sorry!) that came in a green cannister and was sold in boots. It seemed quite retro in its style. From memory it was pretty good, but my hair was blond then and despite this it still left a white dust on hair. My friend recommended cornflour! She gets away with this on her blond style but think it would look bad on darker hair. Lately i tried a john frieda one and it was crap, did not do anything at all.

Please somebody come to my rescue! It would be so useful on days when the baby has had me up all night and that extra 20 mins in bed seems more enticing than a shower! If only talc or flour was dark brown, i would be sorted and what a small price tag too!

cupcake123 Sat 24-Oct-09 02:19:09

All I can say is don't buy the Toni & Guy one. It's shit - it actually made my hair look worse. Before, it just looked greasy; afterwards, it looked greasy, dusty and matted. Not a good look.

Tortington Sat 24-Oct-09 02:28:58

the trick is not in the shampoo but a god conditioner

if you buy a store brand shampoo this is most likley to have less chemicles and more water based product.

you get to wash your hair

to get nice shiney hair - its about the conditioner not the shampoo.

anyway i use dove.

fridayschild Sat 24-Oct-09 07:55:13

The Boots own brand shampoo and conditioner for brown hair is good - you are looking for the cheapest own brand in the shop. I paid £1 for the conditioner last time, but it was on special offer. It's great for shiny glossy hair. Not good for controlling fine fly away hair, I have to say, but at that price I think I can forgive it!

Silvj Sat 24-Oct-09 08:33:15

The Toni & Guy really works with my hair....
Chatter I think the one you may have used is Batiste.
Don't Bumble & Bumble do dry shamposs for different hair colours, though seems quite expensive.

chattermouse Sat 24-Oct-09 11:44:33

You're right Silvj, I think it was Baptiste. It was great, really worked and don't think it was expensive either. But, it was white, so prob only good for fair hair. I will look in the shops today. Really don't want to spend much though so B&B may be out depending on price.....

chattermouse Sat 24-Oct-09 11:47:40

Or could anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner that is better than all others for stopping hair getting greasy? I usually wash hair every day as reckon it needs it.

Tottytightdraws Sat 24-Oct-09 16:17:28

My friend always swears by this one!, never tried it myself

http://prettypinktoes.co.uk/shampowder.aspx

tethersend Sat 24-Oct-09 16:21:56

The boots own brand one is pretty good IME. You have to comb like a maniac, but the white powder does disappear completely.

I couldn't have got through the first 6 months of my DD's life without it tbh.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 24-Oct-09 16:28:04

I am a dark brunette and use batiste.
It is a white powder but don't spray it too close to your head and use a proper bristled brush to brush it out and it works.

Clure Sat 24-Oct-09 18:42:44

me too, brunette I use batiste (the floral pink one smells better than the green one) but you really have to rub it in well. Body shop do a nice oil balancing nettle shampoo. Try a final rinse in cold water too

cocolepew Sat 24-Oct-09 18:46:30

chattermouse, I posted about my DDs greasy hair, Saltire recommend the green Herbal Esssence one. It's fab, she gets at least 2 extra days before it needs washed now.

cocolepew Sat 24-Oct-09 18:48:41

this is for brunettes

chattermouse Sat 24-Oct-09 20:47:57

Thank you all of you for your help I will try all the products and tips you've mentioned and report back....Am very excited about the herbal essence, would be ace if it works for me too!

muddlinleigh Wed 28-Oct-09 12:31:23

Batiste have brought out new dry shampoos for brown and black hair, i got mine from ASOS for £3.

RubyrubyrubysAScaryOldBint Wed 28-Oct-09 12:33:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now