Talk

Advanced search

How to disguise a muffin top??

(14 Posts)
Ceebee74 Thu 22-Oct-09 14:00:10

Help!

Have lost 3 stone since having DS2 11 months ago but have been left with a horrible flabby tummy which is not disappearing at the same rate as the rest of me.

My problem is with jeans - size 16 jeans fit nicely round my tummy but look ridiculously baggy everywhere else whereas size 14 jeans fit nicely round my bum and thighs but I have to squeeze my flab to do them up and it just bulges out and looks awful.

Any solutions? I am fed up of wearing empire-line tops etc and tbh, they have to be quite baggy for it not to cling to my bulgy bits.

I still have another stone to lose which, by current progress, will take about 3 months to lose - and I am not even sure that is going to solve the problem anyway.

Any style tips - would high-waisted jeans work??

BlipinaBottle Thu 22-Oct-09 14:02:42

try Spanx magic knickers - the type that come right up under the bust , should sort out muffin top nicely

fizzpops Thu 22-Oct-09 14:34:48

I find lower waisted jeans work better as you don't get the 'cut off' which creates the muffin top. Depends how much of it there is to hide though. Also normal t-shirts/ shirts/ tops which skim over the under bust to hip area to give a bit of shape without clinging are best. I have a nice top from White Stuff which is a bit fitted but not clingy a bit like this one.

It is long enough to cover the waist area but not swamping.

You have done amazingly well to lose all that weight - congratulations!

geordieminx Thu 22-Oct-09 14:52:54

Sorry if I am stating obvious but have you tried lots of different pairs of jeans from different stores - I'm a size 12ish, and the type/brand of jeans makes a massive difference to my muffin top. Also find that wearing a belt with jeans keeps them in place, as opposed to them falling down and exposing said muffin top.

New Look Hula jeans are great as they are strtchy, high-waisted and are £10. - A good day in town going to debenhams etc would maybe help get a better fi of jeans right for your shape?

tulpe Thu 22-Oct-09 15:31:30

I find that low waisted jeans actually increase my muffin top (perhaps mine is low-laying ).

I recently bought a pair of straight leg jeans from Asda. They are sit about an inch below my navel and are just great. No muffin top (actually look slimmer as they hold you in). And unlike some brands of high waist jeans, there is no camel toe <<shudder>> , nor do they make your arse look mahoosive either.

They are £12 so very cheap.

I bought mine over a month ago, have worn them at least 3 times a week since and they have retained their shape beautifully. They are available in a couple of washes - mine are dark indigo.

tulpe Thu 22-Oct-09 15:32:44

Obviously......they sit.....not they are sit...blush

BTW, they also make your legs look longer and are close fitting straightlegs so they tuck nicely into boots

fizzpops Thu 22-Oct-09 16:41:28

Maybe my muffin top is widespread!

Those jeans sound great - how have you managed to only buy one pair?

AngryPixie Thu 22-Oct-09 19:29:00

If you've got a bit of cash to throw at it
NotYourDaughtersJeans

High waisted 'tummy tuck' jeans. £££ in John Lewis, cheaper on e-bay

Lastyearsmodel Thu 22-Oct-09 20:42:57

How are you with undergarments? I like a nice synthetic, smooth longline vest under things to help tops skim and not cling to undesirable bits. I sometimes go a size down to help get a nice close fit. M&S sometimes have good ones (not their cotton ones; mine went baggy) or Sainsburys have had black ones for £5.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 22-Oct-09 20:45:36

second Spanx, they're amazing. The under-the-boob ones would be a it much every day though IMO.

I've lost about a stone recently, and I'm finding the only thing that's stopping me having that baggy feeling is doing the Davina DVD religiously - esp the abdominals ones. It's really tightened things up and muffin has reduced considerably!

fishie Thu 22-Oct-09 21:42:17

yes agree a vest is good, although it also stops the dip under bosom so can be not entirely helpful. better with a vneck top rather than an empire.

Ceebee74 Thu 22-Oct-09 21:52:35

Thanks for the advice - just got back on this thread.

I did buy a pair of Hula jeans back in January when I was at my fattest - they were fantastic tbh considering how big I was....I guess I just thought that after shifting 3 stone I could fit in 'trendy' jeans wink but I think my body shape is still the same as it was then with the same problems....just a couple of sizes smaller!

Guess a trip to Asda or New Look is needed.

Imove thanks for the advice about the Davina DVD. I am a complete gym bunny anyway (I go 4 or 5 times a week) so I am about as toned as I can be...just cannot shift the flab/excess skin around my tummy angry

happilyeverafter Thu 22-Oct-09 21:59:53

I have found a good belt helps!

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 22-Oct-09 22:03:01

Ceebee - don't forget, you are only 11mo post natal - that's not that long. The tummy may decrease more in the coming months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now