Talk

Advanced search

So - grey/brown/black all together - what do we think?

(19 Posts)
SCARYspicemonster Tue 20-Oct-09 18:45:52

I have always been taught that black + brown = no no. But I am rather old it must be said. I saw a young woman on the tube platform the other day wearing a grey dress, black tights and brown boots. Stylish with a twist or colourblind???

I am of the opinion that it is the latter but prepared to be persuaded otherwise

PutDown Tue 20-Oct-09 18:47:38

I do grey and chocolate brown together,and grey and black,but not all three,IFYSWIM

ScaryFucker Tue 20-Oct-09 18:48:59

that combo is fine

I often wear navy+black, grey+brown, grey+black and any combo imbetween

and I am old too

I am not sure if I would wear all 4 though, possibly 3

Scrubber Tue 20-Oct-09 18:49:50

Go for it. Life's too short to worry.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 20-Oct-09 18:55:30

I actually have a shirt which has brown and grey splotches on it (nicer than it sounds) and I wear that with brown OR black trousers. And I did wear a black outfit with a fawn cardi yesterday

I haven't done grey and brown together but will investigate. Have a new grey dress.

ScaryFucker - those are all two colour combos. It was the three shades of sludge in this outfit that intrigued me.

PoisonToadstool Tue 20-Oct-09 18:57:20

I have a brown top that has tiny grey flowers on, and I wear a black vest underneath it hmm

Grey dress, black tights, brown boots - actually sounds nice to me

ScaryFucker Tue 20-Oct-09 18:57:51

I know, I realised what I wrote didn't make sense

I was counting on no-one noticing... smile

CybilCeremony Tue 20-Oct-09 19:04:56

It's HOW you wear it, I would try and have a couple of things matching eg brown boots (cough) and brown bag for example

sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 19:06:26

Message withdrawn

Sagacious Tue 20-Oct-09 19:11:52

I wear that combo all the time.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 20-Oct-09 19:26:01

It looked fine but I only saw her for a minute and then she got on a tube going in the other direction so I didn't get a good opportunity to study her carefully. Hence my throwing it open to the MN style police. I think I shall experiment then. Thanks

InSync Tue 20-Oct-09 19:30:09

I often mix black, grey and brown. Being too matchy-matchy is not good IMO - too try hard and can look a bit middle aged.

duckyfuzz Tue 20-Oct-09 19:36:26

I have worn those 3 colours together and I think it looked ok (everyone said it did, but they might have just been humouring me!) I often wear my brown boots with black trousers as they are less formal

NancyBotwin Tue 20-Oct-09 19:38:44

I'm not sure I could do brown with black - eg brown boots with black trousers but i do have a top that is brown with a black pattern...

wahwah Tue 20-Oct-09 20:21:00

I do all three together. Mix it up I say and I am an old bag. However, I limit any pattern to a scarf.

GooberIsLockedInTheBootOfMyCar Tue 20-Oct-09 20:22:10

They are all neutrals.
What's not to love?

bodycolder Tue 20-Oct-09 20:29:14

Yes looks great

bodycolder Tue 20-Oct-09 20:30:29

lovely

bodycolder Tue 20-Oct-09 20:31:01

in the grey brown obviously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now