Talk

Advanced search

Please help me cool up my 11 year old ds...

(76 Posts)
Kerrymumbles Mon 19-Oct-09 17:56:24

well he'll be 11 never month.

he looks like a geek (sort of).

I've been getting away with Penny's and Dunnes for years but I need to help him now.

HELP HIM PLEASE!

MrsMuddle Mon 19-Oct-09 20:34:36

It's all in the hair for 11-year-old boys (apparently!).

DS was (and still is, at 13) happy in Primark with the occasional foray into Top Man, but needs to have cool hair. It was long and wavy and it's now short and spiky. And a cool hat helps - these big ones that look like something Snow White's dwarfs would wear are fashionable.

These stupid white pumps that get wet at the first sign of rain, and dirty the minute they step out the house are cool too. You can get them for a couple of quid in Primark or £30 in Top Man. They look the same.

VulpusinaWilfsuit Mon 19-Oct-09 20:43:29

skinny jeans with no arse, calvins
long cardi
cool shirt
Converse (slip ons)
floppy skater hair, or big quiff hair (think John and Edward)
ipod

It's what I'd dress my 10 yo in. But he will only wear baggy jeans and footie tops [sob]

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 19-Oct-09 20:51:06

Converse or Vans
skinny jeans - my son will happily wear from H&M
shirt

But there is coolness in being a geek too!!

Go the Geeks ( DH is one and swears they are cool too) grin

LynetteScavo Mon 19-Oct-09 20:55:01

Hell no, ont white pumps!

DS is 10, and has "moved on" form Converse. hmm

He now preferes Vans and will only wear t-shirts and Sweatshirts that have something to do with Sakateboarding or surfing, (as far as I can make out) He seems quite fond of his Animal hoodies.

The clothes aren't the crucial bit, though. It's all in the hair. It must be just long enough to annoy you.

tulpe Mon 19-Oct-09 20:57:01

DS1 is 9 going on 12....hmm

He wears baggy jeans with t-shirts and a regular shirt worn open over the top. He also loves his hoodies and Converse. Oh and polo shirts worn over long sleeve tees. I guess it's a bit of a surfy/skater look. His hair is long and has a lovely curl to it

For now, most of DS's stuff comes from Gap & Boden. I can myself shopping in H&M, Top Man and Quiksilver-type stores in the next year or so.

Kerrymumbles Mon 19-Oct-09 20:57:24

well see the problem with his poor hair is that he's got a cow's lick AND a double crown. he has tried to grow it long but it always reaches a stage where it looks complete crap and everyone laughs at him so he cuts it again....

Kerrymumbles Mon 19-Oct-09 20:57:53

does top man have clothes that small?

LynetteScavo Mon 19-Oct-09 21:03:17

DS has a MAJOR cow lick....When we first left it, it grew up and over in a huge wave.You have to geive it 6 months- a year of no cutting to get it long enough to look like there is no cow lick. And when you do get it cut, be sure to tell them you don't want any length off the top (and be insistant!), or the double crown will re-surface.

cherryblossoms Mon 19-Oct-09 21:03:20

H & M for skinny jeans.

As all the others say - hair.

Ds used to have long hair but was given a detention because it was too long, so he has a short round the back, long-ish and spikey on the top, now.

cherryblossoms Mon 19-Oct-09 21:06:10

I think there are 2 looks amongst the junior-school yoof at the mo.

1. Skater-chic: Baggy trousers (still), Animal/Quiksilver tops, converse/Vans.

2. Hoxton-chic: Skinny jeans (black), t-shirt, long cardi, converse.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 19-Oct-09 21:08:08

We were given a topman shirt that fits so maybe they do a junior range or it is v small - he is the same age as your DS. Can't get at it now to have a look!

MrsMuddle Mon 19-Oct-09 21:21:41

Top Man do extra-small as a size, so he should get something to fit.

jemart Mon 19-Oct-09 21:31:43

Another vote for cool hair style - this is massively important.
As for clothes, presumably the goal is to fit in with his school friends? So best bet is to imitate the popular ones. Not to a stalker like degree obviously........

wideratthehips Mon 19-Oct-09 21:38:19

oh dear my ds are doomed.....fashion tips for 10 yr olds?! skinny jeans and long csrdigans? no more lazy boden internet shopping....

the popular 10 year olds are shopping at topman... god i feel all teary all of a sudden

LynetteScavo Mon 19-Oct-09 21:45:49

But the popular boys aren't popular because of thier clothes.

Boys tend to be either cool or not.

Kerrymumbles Mon 19-Oct-09 22:06:30

that's true but I thought i'd give him all the help he could use....

cherryblossoms Mon 19-Oct-09 22:08:15

Buy him a Kings of Leon CD.

Kerrymumbles Mon 19-Oct-09 22:11:14

this is part of the problem. He USED to be into rock music. I was very happy. But then the idiots on the estate are convincing him that pop music is better and ARnold Swartzenegger is the best actor that ever lived.

omfg.

Inghouls2 Mon 19-Oct-09 22:11:32

Lynette is right, ds1 is considered cool, but definitely doesn't look cool... He'll put on any old mad combo.
I think it's because he's good footballer
Is he any good at sport Kerry? or particularly good at computer games? or has the entire set of match attax?

Inghouls2 Mon 19-Oct-09 22:13:18

how about getting him to learn to play the guitar?

supersalstrawberry Mon 19-Oct-09 22:17:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cherryblossoms Mon 19-Oct-09 22:18:40

Kerry - I feel your pain.

Ds used to be into David Bowie, neo-electronic music and Philip Glass.

We moved and he started downloading AC/Dc and Green Day. sad

I think you may just have to roll with it. The posters who said that cool is what cool kids do, and the one who suggested a little light cool-kid stalking, have a point.

Clearly your ds is fitting in. Which is good.

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 22:19:58

pop can be cool
ds2 is cool
he " exudes confidence" his cricket coach said, and he always has done.
he is not amazing looking btu is just chilled and people really liek him

cherryblossoms Mon 19-Oct-09 22:20:23

I think my ds is proof of Supersal's point. It's not cool if your parents like it.

Maybe you should pretend to get really, really into pop music?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now