Talk

Advanced search

Who was it that pointed out that long skirts are ageing? So bloody true.

(24 Posts)
moondog Mon 19-Oct-09 14:26:18

In fact, have liberated wardrobe of one or two more...swishy numbers having digested this gem.

haventsleptforayear Mon 19-Oct-09 14:54:37

Me too moondog - just put a whole load away last night!

Think they were ok when I looked was twenty but now...

Am also wonder how to liven up all the brown that seems to have crept in there - brighter colours are my new mantra but so far just have red coat.

Slubberdegullion Mon 19-Oct-09 14:56:57

oh sad

but but I am long of leg. I think I can still pull them off. My entire wardrobe is either trousers or long skirts (pretty much). I have fugly calves.

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 14:57:29

those bias cut ones are the worst offenders

Poledra Mon 19-Oct-09 14:59:48

Me too, Slubber - does being tall with long legs make it look better? sad

fillybuster Mon 19-Oct-09 15:01:46

I like long skirts....but they do have to be fairly funky to minimise the ageing factor, i agree. nonetheless, i shall be clinging onto mine

TheCappster Mon 19-Oct-09 15:06:43

I've started chopping mine up

I had two long velvety things - one a stretchy strappy dress from Monsoon, one a full length velvet skirt

I had them shortened to the bottom of my kneecap and they are now the sexiest things in my wardrobe

tonight I am going to be making a long tweed one into a mini skirt

also I have a grey woollen maxi skirt from about 10 years which by the end of this week will sit 2-3 inches above the top of my boots, with a decorative braid

cost = £3 total

traceybath Mon 19-Oct-09 16:33:04

Long denim skirts are the worst - they never look good on anyone.

Slubber - what about long boots and knee length skirts?

fillybuster Mon 19-Oct-09 16:36:35

<wails> but I have 5 long denim skirts....

Slubberdegullion Mon 19-Oct-09 16:39:55

Oh don't talk to me about boots. My R calf is a good 2cm wider than my L (due to L knee surgery), and even with that my L calf looks like a monstrous emu chicken drumstick. Boot shopping is just NOT FUN EVER.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 19-Oct-09 16:41:35

They looked good when I was 15 and wore them with DMs and a moody expression.

Not now though, I don't care how fashionable they may or may not be, I immediately feel old and frumpy. Especially the mid calf length ones which make your calves look hugely fat.

I tried the maxi dress thing, but combined it with great big platform wedges, got into a problem whilstclimbing some stairs, stood on skirts hem and landed flat on my face. Naver again.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 19-Oct-09 16:43:09

Also have been scarred by the wearing of a long denim DUNGAREE DRESS during pregnancy. Can you imagine.

Prunerz Mon 19-Oct-09 16:46:04

Interesting
I have more or less come to the same conclusion all by myself
I feel v frumpy in long skirts
Hmm, may shorten

stillstanding Mon 19-Oct-09 16:49:04

They can be ageing but can also look rather lovely. Not sure you can dismiss them so easily.

fillybuster Mon 19-Oct-09 16:53:12

dungaree dress while pregnant....?? <sniggers>

I won't ever do anything mid-calf - a skirt has to be knee-length or shorter or properly down-to-the-ground-long and worn with nice boots and a fitted top. I still think a well cut long skirt can look good, in an admittedly slightly tree-hugging-knit-your-own-yoghurt-earth-mother-i'm-not-that-fussed-about-fashion way, but only with some proper effort

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 17:15:52

Message withdrawn

TrillianSlasher Mon 19-Oct-09 17:19:11

I am long(ish) of leg and thick(ish) of calf and long (very long) skirts look great on me thank you very much.

<la la la I can't hear you>

TheCongaLineOfTruth Mon 19-Oct-09 17:29:26

I think you could get away with a long skirt and a fitted top. Possibly. With a bulky top they are a one-way ticket to frumpsville. And a lot of women of a certain age unfortunately wear them with bulky fleeces.

Jajas Mon 19-Oct-09 17:31:55

snorts at idea of any sort of fleece worn with a skirt shock!

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 18:19:44

Message withdrawn

fillybuster Mon 19-Oct-09 18:27:29

Definitely no fleeces. Not been able to get away with that since...ooh, maybe actually not ever, but definitely not since my mid-20s!

But long skirts, slim fit (or even chunky but short) jumpers or fitted wrap tops, and nice boots can still rock a good look if properly contructed.

As can my brilliant rainbow striped woven wrap skirt from Guatemala and various skirts picked up in India and Thailand....although they do require some careful putting together to avoid the mad-hippy look

Kathyis12feethighandbites Mon 19-Oct-09 18:31:23

long winter skirts and long floaty summer skirts different kettles of fish

mollyroger Mon 19-Oct-09 18:35:15

I'm sorry, but all women over the age of 30 ought to cover up every inch of their rancid, scaly bodies and accept that their life is over.

A long denim skirt is a good start wink

sarah293 Mon 19-Oct-09 18:46:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now