Talk

Advanced search

If royal blue is a colour that suits me what else will? And if I colour my hair will blue no longer suit me?

(14 Posts)
navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 00:31:21

I colured my hair brunette baout 11 months ago and around the same time bought a royal blue cardigan - when I wear the cardigan everyone says it looks really nice and the colour suite me.

So if royal blue suits me what other colours will? Purple?

If I go back blonde will this mean blue no longer works?

I really don't get colour, when I hold different coloured clothes up to my face I just look the same!

I need to get my colourd "done" I know; but maybe the mmsnet jury can help me out first so I'm not a total numpty! Plus I'm 25 and worried colours lady will tell me to wear pearls and scarves shock

FlameIsHavinABaby Mon 19-Oct-09 02:23:49

I don't know what else would work (don't really know "colours"), but I do know that it is based on skin tone rather than hair, so it shouldn't affect it.

If the colours lady tells you pearls and scarves, then just listen to the colour advice and ignore the rest wink

tulpe Mon 19-Oct-09 11:14:49

I have never had my colours done but have sorted it myself by trial and error. Royal blue also suits me so will recommend the colours I can wear

Purple - but it should be a rich bright shade and not the dark goth-ish shade.
Magenta
Navy Blue (again - go for rich rather than dark: there will be a difference once you start looking )
Chocolate brown
Caramel (ie a rich beige nothing too flat)
Strong greens (not limes or anything too yellow)
Charcoal & slate grey (almost a blue tone to it).

Avoid:
dusky pinks
nude shades
Pale or marl grey.
Black (unless used again as a layer with colours which enhance your skin tone)
yellow

I do wear white and creams but only as a layer rather than by themselves.

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 18:57:34

Hey tuple that's great thanks! Can I ask what your colouring is like?

CybilCeremony Mon 19-Oct-09 19:00:29

What colour are your eyes?

MrsSeanBean Mon 19-Oct-09 19:01:21

Sounds like 'cool' colours may suit you. Green (emerald not khaki), bright pink, black, charcoal grey, navy, silver, teal/ turquoise, dark purple etc.

I think they key is skintone rather than haircolour, however, 'cool' (ashy) colours on your hair would also probably look best.

CybilCeremony Mon 19-Oct-09 19:03:23

I am brunette and am always told teal suits me.

tulpe Mon 19-Oct-09 19:05:41

oh yes, forgot teal

navyeyelash - I am brunette with pale but pinky toned skin.

CybilCeremony Mon 19-Oct-09 19:08:26

You are the same as me then tulpe. Pale, I have blue eyes Dark hair. I am wearing a lot more navy these days, still love black but find navy more forgiving. Swedes WAS going to have an MN colours party in the summer...either she chickened out or my invitation got lost in the post!

I hold things up to my face in shops expecting a 'pop' and transformation and nothing happens.

It's other people who tell me colours suit me.

<no clue>

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 19:17:34

hmm I am brunette but naturally a blonde and wanted to go back blonde - but I've only just discovered the blue suiting me thing and don't want to cock it up by going back blonde.

My eyes are greeny brown, and change colours but mainly more brown that green with a hint of yellow. My skin in pale and possibly more pinky than anything else, but maybe it's just yellow, like madge Simpson?!?!!

When I wear purple I also think that looks good and so does letter box red? But I do think I look ok when I look in a mirror then I look like shit in a photo so not sure I can trust my judgement TBH!

Picture of me blonde here

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 19:20:13

Also I'm pretty sure black doesn't suit me and neither does white or yellow!

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 23:28:27

shameless bump

tulpe Mon 19-Oct-09 23:30:01

Most of the colours I mentioned, I have worn with both blonde & brunette hair. They work regardless of hair colour (mostly) because its your skin tone which is most important.

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 23:35:22

Brilliant tulpe that's what I wanted to hear!! Thanks for being so helpful - now I need a dress in one of those colours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now