Talk

Advanced search

tell me which outfit I should wear for a meet the parents party.

(19 Posts)
colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 23:11:29

Am about a size 16 but 18 on boobs.

GOBLET shaped but fatter.

Outfit A - www.peacocks.co.uk/Womenswear/Dresses/Day_Dresses/BLACK_BELTED_OFFICE_DRESS-33664010.html - with heels and beads. But is VERY showing of the tummy when I am side on. I do have a fairly prominent gut. Is very reserved, would wear with black shoes and cardigan

Outfit B - I can't find a picture of. It's a black lace flouncy knee length skirt with a white 'petticoat' showing underneath. It is flambyant, almost as flouncy as a tutu. I would be worn with black tights, shoes, black top and little cardi.

Should add that I am 5'2, both outfits are knee length. WWYD?

HellBent Sun 18-Oct-09 23:13:56

Will everyone else be as dressed up? I only wear dresses and skirts at weddings/when forced so probably not the best person to ask!

HellBent Sun 18-Oct-09 23:14:38

Meant to add the dress is very nice and a great price!

Clure Sun 18-Oct-09 23:16:01

loving the first dress. What about some of those sucky in big pants underneath?
May have to pop to peacocks!

colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 23:16:08

It's smart casual.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!!!!!!!!

Tortington Sun 18-Oct-09 23:19:11

smart casual i would wear black trousers or jeans with a smart blouse type top

you can dress up or down depending on hair do, jewellery,bag and shoes.

in fact if you wear jeans, blouse and heels - that should look great.

colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 23:20:21

Mmmmkay.

Will put legs away.

And take dress back to shop, as realistically am probably never going to wear it.

<<sackcloth and ashes>>

HellBent Sun 18-Oct-09 23:24:38

The knitted jumper dresses don't look as formal, you should go for one of them.

If it was me I'd go for a trousers/skirt, heels, white vest top, cardigan and some matching beads, I wore for DS first information night at school.

colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 23:28:12

Sorry should add that this is a meal out... and there will be at least 30 family members there. Am cacking pants - boyf is thrilled that finally I am showing a wee bit of fear.hmm

Knitted jumper dresses are Not My Cup Of Tea. Might swap dress for trousers.

Ronaldinhio Sun 18-Oct-09 23:29:27

this is perfect for a goblet to meet the family

colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 23:32:29

ROLF I can't wear that!

Although I do like it shockblushwink

HellBent Sun 18-Oct-09 23:33:40

I misread first post, I thought meet the parents was like an introduction type thing at school, sorry! If you are meeting new boyfriends parents wear what you like!

colditz Sun 18-Oct-09 23:35:43

Well I would, but it's a party in an Indian restaurant, so I want to wear the flouncy skirt. But I don't want my boyfriends parents to think I'm a floosy.

Also I like Indian food and the dress doesn't look forgiving on naan bread attacks.

HellBent Sun 18-Oct-09 23:38:33

Indian restaurants are great for wearing what you like as well, last time we went to one i was in jeans/converse and someone in the next table is wearing a prom dress for an 18th then next table is hen party with boppers and sashes. I really wouldn't worry.

JodieO Mon 19-Oct-09 00:43:39

Is that linked photo photoshopped?! Otherwise her thigh is the size of her waist and looks odd. Can she even breathe in it!

Tortington Mon 19-Oct-09 00:59:23

somtethnglike this with jeans

kickassangel Mon 19-Oct-09 04:36:45

ok, smart casual usually means not jeans, or at least smart jeans. most the eve you will be sitting down, so a top which looks good, shows a little cleavage (so you can wear a nice necklace) but not too much, would be good.

at 5'2 wearing a flouncy skirt, you might look a bit like a fairy? perhaps better for a night on the tiles rather than meeting the family? depends what part of your persona you wish to present to them? and what bf says about them?

do you have any really flattering tops, that would go with something like charcoal smart trousers & a pair of heeld (but not tarty stilettos) shoes/boots? tis v 'safe' option but the top & jewellery can be your own look, without being too different?

what is the occasion? or are they all meeting just to gawp at you? in which case, call trinny & susannah & get one of them to go instead.

kickassangel Mon 19-Oct-09 04:40:23

this page

there's quite a few tops. the 2nd one is quite different, kinda rock'n'roll, the 3rd one more conservative. but over trousers is less formal than a dress.

ther's one in the second row you could fit a whole tandoori oven under if you really want to eat lots!

colditz Mon 19-Oct-09 12:15:21

it's his dad's 50th birthday, they aren't all meeting just to gawp at me.

So it is a little bit partyish.

But smart/scasual doesn't hint at big frilly party clothes to me sad

I am going to parade around in the dress for my friend today and see what she thinks!

I think I am going to take a top and trousers and either the skirt or the dress, just in case.

I have black dolly heels to wear with any of those, so shoes are not a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now