Talk

Advanced search

Is skinny jeans, a big NO for me?

(21 Posts)
js1000 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:29:04

okay, i m 35, size 14 from bottom n 12 from top just 5.2"tall with thick ankles n ok backside.....would you wear a skinny jeans if u were me ?for last couple of yrs, i ve been saying no to myself but i love the boots n skinnies look...

what do u reckon? shall i drop the idea or go ahead n buy one?

js1000 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:32:58

I think i will look like a big square [GRIN]

ScaryFucker Sun 18-Oct-09 15:33:26

honestly ?

no, love

if I were you, I would wear dark-coloured straightlegged jeans, not skinny

spiderinthebath Sun 18-Oct-09 15:33:43

Go ahead and buy them, with boots no problem you will look fab!.....

js1000 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:36:11

CONFUSE

notyummy Sun 18-Oct-09 15:39:17

If you like the way they look on you and feel confident, then it will work. However - if you are not confident enough (and the fact that you are asking here makes me think that - then you wont feel good.)

I am 5 ft 10. Size 12 on bottom and 10 on top (i.e bit pear shaped) and I wouldn't wear them. There are plenty of other jeans that will suit and flatter your figure and will still look cool.

How about Top Shop Skinny flare - much better at balancing a curvy/pear shape figure out then plain skinnies IMHO.

ScaryFucker Sun 18-Oct-09 15:40:50

skinny flares are cool

js1000 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:42:22

yehh.....i m not confident that it will look nice....

notyummy Sun 18-Oct-09 15:44:39

www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=19551&s toreId=12556&categoryId=115938&parent_category_rn=115935&productId=1306088&langId=-1

Here they are.

VicarInaBooTu Sun 18-Oct-09 15:56:07

i like the sound of the skinny flare.

i tried skinny jeans....i looked - well - not good - im a size 14 bottom. i looked very hippy in them. i prefer boot cut as it balances my shape much better and i dont look huge! i sent for mine from the next directory so i didnt look a pudding in the changing rooms...im so glad i did it that way!

moopymoo Sun 18-Oct-09 15:58:58

ok so what trousers do those of us with less than perfect figures wear with long boots? or is it boots/opaques/skirt only??

js1000 Sun 18-Oct-09 16:53:43

I don't wear my boots with jeans only with skirts or legging with longer tops....i guess we cant combine jeans n long boots.blush

traceybath Sun 18-Oct-09 18:21:05

Go and try some on. Take long boots and a long top and see what you think.

Maybe buy a cheapie pair to start with.

I personally like topshop baxters as they have a nice dark indigo and aren't too low waisted.

Have fun - its just fashion.

KristinaM Sun 18-Oct-09 18:44:54

i am a lollipop shape ( 12 top half, 10 bottom half) with slim legs and i cant wear skinnies either. i look like i might blow over in a high wind shock

i wear new look or gap skinny flares

runnyhabbit Sun 18-Oct-09 19:00:20

Agree with notyummy about the confidence thing, but the key is what to wear on top.

I'm 5'8, pretty much a 10 all over, but I've most def got hips, iykwim. Put off get skinnies for ages, until I saw a cheap pair in Tesco (£10) and thought what the hell. Always a wear a long top with them, and my boots are quite heavy, with buckles up the side, so my bottom half doesn't look like a v shape.

Get a pair, then ask some rl friends for an honest answer.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 18-Oct-09 19:03:56

I reckon it's worth a try. I'm a pear, albeit long-legged and I was convinced for ages that skinnies wouldn't work. But with biker boots and a longer length top I actually think they work - the chunky boots seem to help balance things out IYKWIM.

VictoriousSponge Sun 18-Oct-09 19:04:40

if you are bigger on top than boittom you need a long baggy top

MarthaFarquhar Sun 18-Oct-09 19:04:57

x-posted runny. glad I'm not losing my senses. or eyesight.

LevitatingCopy Sun 18-Oct-09 19:20:28

Hmm dunno, might work okay if the boots were chunky? How shapely are your knees?

Am interested in the replies I've got a similar shape to you (but a size bigger and 3 inches taller) and haven't yet managed to pull it off, despite much longing.

Skinny jeans are ridiculously TINY - when I've tried them on I've nearly fainted with horror - size 16 skinnies won't go past mid-thigh, but I wear size 16 bootlegs with no problems and am generally a 16 in most things. I left the shop before resorting to size 20 skinnies hmm

I've got a lovely pair of black biker style boots, but am in a quandary as to what to wear them with as they look a bit rubbish under bootlegs/straight leg jeans.

ninagleams Sun 18-Oct-09 19:42:27

Don't worry about sizing, it's not standardised in this country so it's inconsistent from range to range!!!

LevitatingCopy Sun 18-Oct-09 19:48:50

Hmmf - they might be crap at standardising sizes but have they no consideration for my feeeeelings? Eh, eh??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now