Talk

Advanced search

Hand cream for v dry skin

(25 Posts)
fairybubbles Sun 18-Oct-09 08:32:18

I'm looking for a handcream, preferably one that will fit into my handbag, that can be used on v dry skin.

I've had problems every winter with chapped skin on my hands.

I use Elemis hand wash and hand cream at home but I need something for when I'm out and about.

Is Neutrogena any good? The other ones I was thinking of were No7 or clinique.

I don't want to spend a fortune but nor do I want something greasy or sticky.

Thanks for reading wink

MaryAmericanSmooth Sun 18-Oct-09 08:35:31

the Vaseline very dry skin h cream is excellent,imo- not expensive,not sticky and does the trick for me !

ThisBoyDerekDrew Sun 18-Oct-09 08:37:46

I like Nutrogena intensive care. Just a dab goes a v long way and it absorbs quickly and easily without leaving grease.

I also find that just ine dab at night is enough for me it is so effective so I don't need to use it continually.

spiderinthebath Sun 18-Oct-09 09:12:28

I wash my hands all the time in my job and have awfully dry hands, I swear by the body shops hemp hand protector cream and Clarins hand cream (hint for x mas bit £££ for everyday!) HTH

Rindercella Sun 18-Oct-09 09:20:57

E45. Cheap & the bbest thing for dry hands. I love Clarins hand cream, but only when my hands are in a fairly good conditioner, otherwise I use E45.

nicnacinoonoo Sun 18-Oct-09 09:23:06

i second e45 cream, it is the best for dry skin.

Rindercella Sun 18-Oct-09 09:24:04

Sorry for the typos above, am not feeling very well <sniff>

SuzeMcG Sun 18-Oct-09 13:29:21

La Roche-Posay handcream is very good for dry skin.

janeite Sun 18-Oct-09 14:14:50

The Clinique one isn't brilliant and has a funny smell. Flexitol do a hand cream now and it is v good, especially for the nasty peel bits I get on the inner-side of my thumbs; although again it does smell funny.

Lapsedrunner Sun 18-Oct-09 14:17:24

Aveeno Cream (not the hand cream) or L"Occitane, very good but not cheap.

bluebump Sun 18-Oct-09 14:20:20

I use this Molton Brown one when i'm out and about. One of my all time favourites is this, it smells divine.

traceybath Sun 18-Oct-09 14:21:19

Clarins and body shop both good. To be honest though having tried many hand creams I find they all tend to work initially and then one day they just stop working and I have to switch brands.

Boots also did a very good one in their basics range and Molton Brown also nice. Oh and in this month's red magazine there's a £10 off molton brown voucher.

Bucharest Sun 18-Oct-09 14:23:21

My all time fave is Tisserand Essential Oil Rich handcream with geranium, rose, bergamot oils etc. Smells divine.

Seededbiatch Sun 18-Oct-09 14:23:55

My sister is a hand and foot model and swears by Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.

I think its, supposed, to pretty much sort out all skin problems, everywhere.

teameric Sun 18-Oct-09 14:36:23

L'occitane do lovely hand creams, especially the shea butter one

Verity1978 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:10:59

Definitely Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector, also Crabtree and Evelyn Garderners' Hand Therapy - I'm no gardener though! I like the smell of the Hemp one, but both have really helped me and I suffer badly. Zinc supplement I was given by doctor was also helpful seemed to stop the dryness and itchiness of other areas.

GBR Sun 18-Oct-09 15:18:20

Another one here for Body Shop Hemp - stops my contact dermatitis even if I just use it at night before bed.

abitchilly Sun 18-Oct-09 15:55:11

glovesinabottle.co.uk/

I find it really works - I used to get lots of cracks and bleeding. But not now when I use it regularly enough.

Lapsedrunner Sun 18-Oct-09 16:10:19

That gloves in a bottle looks interesting, my nearest stockist is a decorating centre so painters etc must find it works.

abitchilly Sun 18-Oct-09 16:11:25

Tis very good

Rumpel Sun 18-Oct-09 16:24:35

me too for body shop hemp. Just started using Avon and it is good too. Boots hand polish is great for exfoliating.

fairybubbles Sun 18-Oct-09 21:34:29

Thank you so much for all the suggestions & keep them coming- I will def give some of them a go. I have a tube of EA eight hour cream, I never thought of using that (use it to keep my lips soft)so I will try that for the time being.

Thanks Janeite for you constructive feedback on clinique hand cream, that was one I was considering as I love my clinique moisturiser.

Any more ideas?

tulpe Sun 18-Oct-09 21:36:51

L'Occitane Lavender handcream is fabulous.

I have very dry skin on my hands (I am 38 - my hands look 90 if unadorned by handcream ). Absorbs really quickly and smells beautiful

brimfull Sun 18-Oct-09 21:43:36

just bought body shop hemp one-is on offer atm

I think it is better than l'occitane one

the moisturising effect lasts for ages

LoveIsLikeARedRedRose Mon 19-Oct-09 01:46:49

yet another reccommendation for body shop hemp handcream. I work with fabrics for a living, some of them have odd finishes that can make my skin dry and a bit sore; the hemp cream is fantastic. Also brilliant on my DH's sensitive skin - he has rather itchy dermatitis sometimes - this stuff is fab. Check the smell before you buy though - its not everyone's cup of tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now