Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know anything about hair extensions? Will it ruin my hair?

(24 Posts)
navyeyelasH Sat 17-Oct-09 22:40:12

I have quite normal thickness hair and I love love love Cheryl Cole's hair. The only way to get it is to have hair pieces to increase the volume.

IS this going to riun my hair and how much upkeep will it need?

Any other ides for Cherly Cole hair; it normally looks awesome for about 40 minutes after I've dried it but it drops instantly!

TheCongaLineOfTruth Sun 18-Oct-09 07:43:41

I think you would need one hell of a lot of maintenance to stop them from looking really ratty. CC probably has hers done by a hairdresser every day.

So best advice is to marry a footballer, I suspect.

Broke Sun 18-Oct-09 11:46:44

I had sewen in ones which were agony for the first fortnight until my hair grew a little to loosen them, then I had to go to the hairdressers once a week to have them blow dried, although mine were waist length.
They lasted about 8 weeks beforew they turned into a birds nest and needed binning and cost £250.
Not the best investment, personally I am now growing mine.

foxytocin Sun 18-Oct-09 11:55:16

ONce at a hairdresser's a girl walked in with extensions (long ones). The hairdresser told me what they cost to keep looking good. I can't remember the amount but I was floored. This was not a chi-chi salon in a city centre either. She came in every week to have them made looking less like dreadlocks sensible and it took 2 hrs to do that.

Can you invest that sort of time commitment too?

foxytocin Sun 18-Oct-09 11:57:41

forgot to say, I knew quite a few afro caribbean women who have done them repeatedly. It causes hair loss as they are put in so tightly to start off (see previous poster). So if you already don't have thick hair (most afro caribbean people do) you are onto a long term loser here too.

ABitBatty Sun 18-Oct-09 12:01:50

I read recently that Cheryl Cole spends £40,000 a year on hair extensions/styling/upkeep etc!

OP, you could get a set of clip in hair extensions, see how you get on with them?

Broke Sun 18-Oct-09 12:06:23

You also have to have your own hair cut quite strangley so that they blend in with the extensions, so when they come out your hair is a bit odd and certainly no longer (which is what I expected for my hair to grow whilst the extension were in).

navyeyelasH Sun 18-Oct-09 12:17:25

Hmm so hair extensions sound quite horrid then?! Are hair pieces the same thing? My hair is already quite long I just want to add more volume and nothing seems to work. When I dry it I get the look I want, but it doesn't last more than an hour!

Quavers Sun 18-Oct-09 12:21:18

my theory is to work with what you've got. undoubtedly there is a hairstyle out there that you will get lots of compliments on. maybe ask the MN jury to help you find it?

shhhh Sun 18-Oct-09 15:54:26

imo,if you fancy them then go for them. You won't know till you tried. I was given the same advice when I "ummed and ahhed" over having them and was told to go for it and at least I know.

I had them about a year ago and loved them for the length (short bob length hair suddenly went back length iykwim)but they do need upkeep.
TBH,most days I just tied my hairback (I loved this as its not been something I could do and I loved experimenting) and also curled it but I found washing my hair a faf.I love washing my hair daily BUT with extensions I had to do it 1-2 a week and never felt like I gave my hair a good wash as you have to careful around the bonds.

I also imagine running my fingers through it..not easy..grin.

I had them in for around 3 months which was the recommended time and them to either have them refreshed or removed.
I just wanted my hair back tbh.

BTW,I had racoon extensions (best apparently) and paid arund £150 (depends on how many you have) and had them done at home.

The 1st few days take a bit to get used to, esp with sleeping.

BUT,as I said go for it. You won't know if you like them unless you try and why spend your life wondering wink.

MuppetsMuggle Sun 18-Oct-09 15:58:58

I've got extensions and love them.
One of my best friends is a hairdresser so comes and blow drys and straightens my hair at least twice a week.

I've had them trimmed since i've had them in as they were originally about waist length and blonde.
They are now just below shoulder length and mahogany in colour.

they are bonded in strand by strand hurt at first until my hair loosend a little. and would def have them in again.

Currently i've had them in since end of July and they are still in good condition.

Depends I guess how well you look after them

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Sun 18-Oct-09 16:02:13

You can get decent clip ins for around £80 and they make a huge difference to the volume, esp at the roots which is where Cheryl has the most lift.

navyeyelasH Sun 18-Oct-09 23:01:59

Yes squeezt it's volume at the roots I'm after. TBH the cost doesn't worry me as every woman in my family is a hairdresser with a salon so I only ever pay for materials!

I've had my hair in every style going and every colour possible! It grows really fast so I've had it short and long with varying success - the style that suits me best is longish (past my shoulder) and big! Most mornings I don't have the time to dry my hair into a big bouffont only for it to drop after 30 minutes.

I think I may try clip ins (But what happens with them once alcohol is consumed!) and some major volumzing products. How do you get more volume at the root? I am quite good with the old hairdryer and currently use a big barreled steel brush, dry it to the left, right, left, right, then in the direction I want it to lay. Then on the last dry I twist it ala curly blow. I may sometimes back comb if needed but this can't be good for my hair. Volume is usually great through the length but rubbish in the root. I have layers!

I use no product other than a bit of elnett at the end; maybe this is where I am going wrong? When my cousin does my hair it does stay in for longer but not as long as I'd like and the next day it always needs washing as it's really stiff!

Will big hair ever be able to withstand a sweaty dance floor do you think!?

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Mon 19-Oct-09 00:09:02

There is a product called Dustit, expensive but fab. It looks like talc and you just section off the hair and sprinkle it on the roots (not too much or your hair looks talc-ish!). Then you ruffle it all at the roots and......well.....try it and see. It's brilliant. Every time you ruffle it, your hair gets bigger grin

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 00:21:39

I would buy anything so long as it worked regardless of price! What sort of hair do you have SqueezyCheesyPumpkin? Are you sure it wone make me look like I have dandruff?

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Mon 19-Oct-09 00:44:04

No, it's a really fine powder, not flaky or anything, it makes your hair feel really thick. It's weird stuff smile If you use too much, it makes your hair look matt but defo not dandruff-y. You seriously just have to use a tiny amount as you can always put more on if you need it.

Scroll down a bit on this page for reviews

My hair is very fine, flat and long. Wavy but I straighten it. I use the dustit with my fingers to ruffle it all outwards from the roots and then just lightly brush over the top to smooth it.

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 00:56:57

My hair is normal thickness I would say - do you think I'd notice it's magical effects less?

Does it make the lengths of your hair thicker or just the root? Sorry for the 101 questions, just need to get the right product have spent and wasted so much money over the years.

Just going to read reviews, thanks!

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 00:59:08

Didn't do much for my hair when it comes to root volume. I have rather thick hair though.

Hmmm I wonder if I may have that problem! I will try and find a hair shot to share.

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 01:12:58

so this is me; I've had a few too many drinks and my hair is about 4 hours post blow dry. Picture is about 10 months old so hair is longer now and darker.

Am wondering if volumizing products only work on thin hair?

Broke Mon 19-Oct-09 11:57:13

Your hair is already thick so it's volume you're lacking which can be achieved with layers but is hard work, blow drying every morning.

SleeplessInSheppey Mon 19-Oct-09 12:01:46

If you get extensions go to a proper place, not a hairdresser that does them as a sideline. I had them a few years ago and the bonds were really noticeable so I couldn't tie my hair back as my thin hair didn't cover them. I am going to get them again and they do proper bonds that you cannot see. It is alot, so give clip ins a go first. Lifted roots are styling though, hair externsions will make it longer/thicker but not much more lifted, you will still have to style.

navyeyelasH Mon 19-Oct-09 18:31:54

Broke- that's the thing the volume at the root doesn't last. Hence me thinking a hair piece might be better.

Think I'm going to follow SqueezyCheesyPumpkin's advice andget that ralc stuff.

FashionGirl123 Tue 21-Jun-11 17:14:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

nokissymum Tue 21-Jun-11 17:17:33

fashiongirl you may not have noticed the last post on this subject was in 2009 ? Im sure op's hair extensions have all fallen out by now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now