Talk

Advanced search

Short jumper/sweater dresses. Are they ok worn...

(33 Posts)
Wuxiapian Sat 17-Oct-09 20:58:11

with tights as opposed to leggings?

My legs are ok(ish), but leggings seem to add extra chunk factor.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

ScaryFucker Sat 17-Oct-09 21:01:24

if your legs are good and non-wobbly, then yes

personally, I find the extra weight of leggings control the flab a bit more, IYSWIM

but then, I am 43 smile

LadyoftheBathtub Sat 17-Oct-09 21:02:42

I would with thick, woolly ribbed tights, as long as the dress was not that short.

herbietea Sat 17-Oct-09 21:03:06

Message withdrawn

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 21:05:17

I do too, with thick woolly ribbed tights and chunky boots. Great look, I love this fashion at the moment! I'm 44 and find myself recalling wearing sweater dresses aged 15 which is heartily depressing hmm!

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 21:06:38

herbie, my legs are twig like too so def need the chunk look to stop me looking like Max Wall!

RubyBooBerry Sat 17-Oct-09 21:07:17

Tights fine as long as you wear knee boots!

herbietea Sat 17-Oct-09 21:37:49

Message withdrawn

Wuxiapian Sat 17-Oct-09 21:45:37

Thanks, all.

I wish my legs were a tad more twig-like. Ah well...

I half mid-calf (2"heels) and 2 under-knee boots (1 pair flat, other 3"heels).

Just never sure if it looks tarty.

janeite Sat 17-Oct-09 21:56:01

My dad used to call my sister and I Max wall in the 80s too. We used to wear leggings, men's jackets and DMs.

Clure Sat 17-Oct-09 22:08:25

I found some 80d opaques (possibly Boots or M&s last spring) which are not that much finer than my leggings but still feel like wearing tights.

Wuxiapian Sat 17-Oct-09 22:12:53

Yes, Clure...

The thicker the denier, the better. Prolly.

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 22:39:56

Oh god that has made me laugh so much to know I'm not the only person to have been likened to Max Wall as a teenager grin! I think I had a trench coat to go with my pixie boots/DM's and black leggings too!

Herbie, love the thought of your mum snorting tea all over the phone at hearing 'the MW look is back' grin!

My thick tights came from Toast at an extortionate price but boy they do the trick.

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 22:41:02

Oh Columbo I probably resembled thinking about it hmm grin!

I wore old man jackets from the charity shop to complete my Max Wall look.

I really must have looked like I had raided a dressing up box. blush

I wear sweater dresses with tights until I shrink the dress in the wash and then I wear them as tunics with skinny jeans.

Doesn't matter how careful I am they always shrink. sad

VictoriousSponge Sat 17-Oct-09 22:48:13

not if you were the person in southampton today in red tights
that were too too thin

VictoriousSponge Sat 17-Oct-09 22:48:34

i just got some knitted jeggings from top shop
saw them today
look fabbola

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 22:49:03

phew not me thank god!

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 22:49:31

link please VS!

VictoriousSponge Sat 17-Oct-09 22:56:50

hold on

VictoriousSponge Sat 17-Oct-09 22:57:16

www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=19551&s toreId=12556&productId=1024608&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=

LevitatingCopy Sat 17-Oct-09 23:03:57

ha ha another '80s Max Wall here - we should have had a convention. I always brushed off the comments as jealousy of my cutting edge fashion sense wink

I did the old man charity shop suits too (complete with crotch stains, mmmm). But the main look (as I remember) was leggings (or tight striped trousers) worn with a hip length t-shirt with a man's leather belt on top, slung round the widest part of the hips in a swashbuckling fashion - fabulous.

janeite Sat 17-Oct-09 23:17:33

Did you all have flat caps too? We did. And on non-DM days we wore PE pumps from Woolies.

Noooooooooo, not the flat cap. My mum still has mine, from BHS hmm I caught her putting it on DD of 13months because she thought it looked cute. Oh the shame.

I saw a queenager in town today wearing the pixie boots, leggings, long tee, swashbuckler belt and old man jacket boyfriend blazer. For a moment I thought there was a time portal between Boots and Millets and I had stepped back to the 80s.

Jajas Sat 17-Oct-09 23:24:01

Oh hell, then there were the waistcoats Oh how i can laugh now! Hey I missed the flat cap bit? I'm horrified to admit that I stiched a swastika onto my overcoat at college shock, I did remove it fairly swiftly once my father had spotted it blush.

Looking forward to a Max Wall convention, who would have thought. Need to find a piccie of the great man...

Thanks for the link VS! Fingerless gloves, there's another thing that I wore back then making a comeback now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now