Talk

Advanced search

LBD - I am 46 and have never had one - I think it's time - can anyone help?

(14 Posts)
soyabean Sat 17-Oct-09 15:46:01

I think I would like one for work Xmas do etc, but I don't go out much so won't get many wears out of it and am v short of £££.

I thought it would be easy but have been trawling the net and can't seem to see anything I like. If anyone can help that would be great! I'm not really a dress wearer, normally wear jeans, trousers, tunics, 3/4 sleeve Ts, denim/cord on or above knee skirts, that kind of thing.

I am 5'8, size 12 ish on top 10 ish on bottom. Would like 3/4 sleeves and it needs to be just above knee, not to short (legs fine in tights) Under £50...

thelunar66 Sat 17-Oct-09 15:50:39

I have wardrobe full of the things. Best ones came from TKMaxx.

Debenhams usually have good ones, but you need to wait until a bit nearer xmas... i just looked at the website and it has nowhere near as many as last December.

soyabean Sat 17-Oct-09 17:03:20

thank you, I will have to be patient but had a horrible last minute shopping expedition last year which I would like to avoid!

ADifferentMe Sat 17-Oct-09 18:09:01

I'm 47, similar height and size. I can't really wear black near my face now - it's really ageing on me. Bit early but Zara usually get some nice ones. It's the only time of year I'll miss Principles - always had something in there!

soyabean Sat 17-Oct-09 18:17:01

Yes I wonder about black too - but I think it would be OK in the evening with makeup. Blues and greys suit me better really but I do want to try a little black dress!

pagwatch Sat 17-Oct-09 18:48:21

how much is your budget?

I love comptoir des cotonnier,
Day Birger Mickelson,
Gerard Darel ( although lots of frump in there so tread carefully),
Nicole Fahri
and Tara Jarmon.

soyabean Sat 17-Oct-09 20:22:47

Thanks Pagwatch but way over my budget I fear...Comptoir des Cotonniers stuff looks particularly lovely but I'm more of an H&M/Uniqlo shopper.

pagwatch Sat 17-Oct-09 22:08:46

ahhh - uniglo are doing some lovely stuff atm
their cashmere is lovely and they have a jil sanders line out too.
I am in town a lot - I will look for some nice LBDs

Clure Sat 17-Oct-09 22:18:31

this
this
this
this if you can do strapless

janeite Sat 17-Oct-09 22:20:48

French Connection often have a decent range of basic black dresses.

All M&S, all under £50 with sleeves.

Fitted LBD with mesh top and long sleeves

Long sleeve black dress with sequin detail

not exactly black but I thought it was pretty

not so party, but simple and chic

Wallis

Lace tunic dress

Another lacey tunic number

Fitted sequiney numberur but over your budget

keyhole back detail

neck detail dress

Lots of others on both of those sites but these were the ones with sleeves.

soyabean Sun 18-Oct-09 14:28:45

Thank you all! I will keep my eyes open in Uniqlo as Xmas approaches - nothing there last week.
Clure I quite like the 2nd la Redoute one - lovely and plain, and also the ruffle New Look one. have not had luck with la redoute in the past but will look in New Look next time I am out. I really cant do strapless but thanks v much for your suggestions, its good to be tempted away from my usual boring choices.
SKTTH thanks for all your ideas. I have a bit of an aversion to M and S but then again have never looked at party dresses there. I like the first with the mesh sleeves - could be a solution. Not keen on the sequinned one; Splash print - yes, nice; the simple one is nice but I am def not petite and wonder if it would be too short. Wallis I quite like and was browsing last night - the circle one I like but 86 cm probably too short for me. Have never been keen on lace but could probably cope with some round the neck, maybe not all over like the first one. I like the front of the keyhole one but not the keyhole! Not sure about the scarfy thing on the neck of the last one... But it is all great food for thought so thanks.

I am incredibly fussy... perhaps because I dont often buy party type clothes. I have an idea that I should look a bit funky but at the same time am in fact cautious and very wary of the mutton/lamb thing. I do appreciate all your help, ta!

Clure Sun 18-Oct-09 15:24:53

I have to say I too have sizing problems with la redoute, however the second dress is a bargain! Sorry hadn't properly read your request about sleeves!
bit over budget but could be worn for other occasions
this if you like the tailored 80's look
sparkly!

soyabean Sun 18-Oct-09 20:53:14

Clure I am going to sound so cautious/boring! I like the FC one although it might be a bit too short. Couldnt do the 80s thing, and the sparkly is just too sparkly...This is why i have to shop on my own - drive other people mad although dd (14) is pateinet and likes me to buy stuff so maybe I will venture out and invite her to come too>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now