Talk

Advanced search

Please help me decide what colour coat to buy

(11 Posts)
eshermummy Fri 16-Oct-09 14:40:45

Ordered this Aigle everywarm coat. Wanted something warm and functional for standing around in cold school playgrounds etc. I think it will do the job, seems very well made etc. It's just a little bit fogey-ish. I think I would have preferred it if the fabric was a bit shinier - it's a bit matt, although apparently rain repellant which is good. There is just a hint of the per-una-ness about it that I'm not sure about. But I've looked everywhere and I wanted a knee length puffa that had some style/shape to it but that would also perform in cold/wet weather - this seems to be the best I've seen I think.

Am wondering if it's the fact it is black that is making it so dreary. I would have preferred a dark choc brown or something maybe. It comes in "taupe" - imagine like this only in the full length style.

Do you think the lighter colour will be nicer or do I just have to face the fact that it's a bit of a granny coat and it's either going to be a black granny coat or a beige granny coat grin

Have already sent back once as was too big. So if I send back again it will ahve cost me £17 just in return postage alone!

Am a short (5 4"), blonde (highlighted wink) size 8 if that helps.

overmydeadbody Fri 16-Oct-09 14:43:27

Go for the black and wear it with nice bright colourful scarves and pashminas.

eshermummy Fri 16-Oct-09 15:49:19

Thanks, might have a try on sesh later after kids in bed with nice coloured scarf as you've suggested and my knee boots - see if that funks it up a bit.

Thing is, I walked past this the other day - didn't get a chance to try it on properly but am now thinking maybe I like it more? Was more brown than purple irl iirc?

I had thought I wanted a belted puffa so as to look a bit more shapely but now am thinking that the belt on the Aigle one is making it more fusty and the waist seam on the monsoon one is much nicer. But will the monsoon one be properly warm?

Aaagh !!!! This coat search has been going on for weeks. Am tempted to send this aigle one back as am not 100% but that will be the 4th coat I've returned so far !!! Is costing me a fortune and I haven't even bought anything yet !

moondog Fri 16-Oct-09 17:48:33

That Monsoon one is vile.The black is fine-has a bit of shape, could look quite funky and is bloody warm.

The Aigle one is much nicer than the Monsoon one, which would drown you, even in the right size. I don't think it is frumpy at all.....smile

pcworld Fri 16-Oct-09 21:08:51

Sorry to throw the cat amongst the pigeons - but I have that Monsoon coat! Had been umming and ahhing for ages on the big "coat" decision - and I caved in and bought it last week. It is sooo much nicer on than in the picture. Plus I think it is perfectly warm and cosy, too (I'm in the South East. I have this plus a separate waterproof for the super-wet days.

BonsoirAnna Fri 16-Oct-09 21:21:04

I don't like puffa coats on grown women; however, that Monsoon coat is a million times nicer than the Aigle one, which is dull as ditchwater and a complete killer of all sex appeal. The Monsoon one is much more feminine; you could wear it with skinny jeans tucked into flat suede knee high boots.

eshermummy Fri 16-Oct-09 21:54:35

You know, I think I am going to try and find the Monsoon one tomorrow and try it on. They are out of stock of my size on the website so will have to see if I can track it down in my local branch.

DH has just got in and he thinks the Aigle looks ok but I am not convinced....

Will also see if I can try on this one again - I tried it weeks ago but DH was with me and said the oversized collar made my head look too small and pin-headyhmm.

What do men know anyway?

eshermummy Fri 16-Oct-09 21:58:21

I luuurve puffa coats by the way. I would love a moncler even if they are a bit russian hooker/euro-trash-tastic grin

Schoolsec Fri 16-Oct-09 22:02:21

there is a lovely purple puffa in marks (per una) i tried on and is really nice ..

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 16-Oct-09 22:16:34

If you can find a UK site, www.patagonia.com have good padded coats. Not brilliant at direct links on my itouch.
Btw, I liked that navy Ralph Lauren coat the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now