Talk

Advanced search

Who do you trust for skincare advice?

(3 Posts)
mumintroll Wed 14-Oct-09 22:19:35

I am curious what sources people trust for skincare advice?

I'm in my late 30s and I'm still confused. Every time I need new cream (or cleanser or whatever) I find myself racked by uncertainty. Should I buy the overpriced but probably bogus cream, or should I go with a cheap classic? Do I need 52 different creams for different areas/purposes or just one decent one? Should all my products come from one vendor or can I mix & match? Do you really need toner? The list goes on....

I don't trust the magazines (they all just fawn over their advertisers) and I certainly don't trust the ads. Message boards have a lot of info but often conflicting ("for me it was great", "it ruined my face!") - probably because people have very different needs. I've been to a dermatologist but they seem more concerned with avoiding skin disease than looking good (and besides, I can't very well visit my dermatologist every time I need to buy cream...).

I just want nice skin.

What's a smart girl to do? Ladies, do tell.

ruddynorah Wed 14-Oct-09 22:24:57

well i do oil cleansing based on threads on mn about it. works for me grin

i wouldn't trust adverts, magazines, prices, whatever. i would trust a large number of other women though.

mumintroll Fri 16-Oct-09 19:40:05

Thanks ruddynorah. I tried oil cleansing briefly this summer after years of using the same cleanser (Cetaphil). I read the mumsnet OCM thread and other threads and there were a lot of positive reviews. It had a nice effect on my pores, but it caused my eczema to flare. I think I used too much castor oil. I plan to try again sometime soon - right now I am trying something different with my hair and I don't like to make too many changes at once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now