Talk

Advanced search

how do you avoid a razor rash on the ahem bikini area?

(24 Posts)
whichwitchisthis Wed 14-Oct-09 18:14:17

I am going on Holiday next year and I realise that it's stil far off but must find a solution to this prob

Everytime I shave my bikini line I come out in an awful razor rash, really raised and red, it doesn't matter which razor I use

Even when I use a hair remover cream this can still sometimes happen

I haven't tried waxing cos I am a scaredy cat grin

Does anyone have any ideas I can try out before I go?

TIA smile

Whoooooooseyfruit Wed 14-Oct-09 18:16:54

I wax, but do you shave against the hair, because that can give you a rash. you need shave in the direction the hair grows.

Megglewellhungcheval Wed 14-Oct-09 18:18:28

It doesn't matter what I do (wax, cream,shave etc)I always get it- not anywhere else just there.

I HATE it and when I have the money I will laser it!

barbie1 Wed 14-Oct-09 18:18:46

try putting some normal hair conditioner on first instead of a shaving cream....and maybe tea tree gel after to sooth the area

whichwitchisthis Wed 14-Oct-09 18:29:46

ooh Whooooooseyfruit I thought you were supposed to shave against it...maybe that's where I am going wrong then

I shall give it try with the conditioner too barbie1 thanks

meggle my legs used to be like this too but after years of shaving they seem to have gotten used to it, but if I use a cheap razor they always come up in itchy red lumps, kind of hoped that the old bikini line would go along the same lines but no luck there smile

BaronessBarbaraKingstanding Wed 14-Oct-09 18:30:25

Waxing is the only way to go.

Go to salon, it's over in seconds (take pain kilers before if you're really scared but honestly it's so quick you don't notice.)

You may have a rash for a day but then you'll have lovely hair free bikini line all holiday. They also do it 'high up'IYSWIM so that there will never be any sray hairs appearing and 'underneath'. feels great all holiday.

Get legs done whilst there. Don't take a razor with you.

whichwitchisthis Wed 14-Oct-09 18:41:22

so if I went for a wax what's the "ettiquette" (sp?) ? what do I wear etc, should I trim grin

How long does it have to be?

cruelladepoppins Wed 14-Oct-09 20:23:44

Boyleg swimsuit. Don't have to wax. Bliss. smile

whichwitchisthis Thu 15-Oct-09 09:21:18

ahh cruella that is inspired!! grin

BonsoirAnna Thu 15-Oct-09 09:53:51

Don't shave your bikini line. You must wax it.

aquavit Thu 15-Oct-09 10:03:28

I don't agree - not everyone must wax. I have a v bad reaction to it (also, ouch). But I also have the problem with razor rash. If you shave regularly enough, though, it goes away, so you could just get busy with the razor a month or so ahead of going away!

Personally I prefer the boyleg swimsuit option cos I am lazy.

Oh, also, trim remaining hair so that you don't get the 'stray hairs' problem either...

Wafflesnaffler Thu 15-Oct-09 10:13:21

Hi Whichwitchisthis, really sorry you have this problem but at the same time I'm so glad SOMEONE does!

I REALLY need someone to review a free sample I have of a product which is meant to solve this problem, for my website! I have a PR waiting for the review (good or bad) and just need a volunteer ASAP. Would you like to try it? I would post it to you.

Tried to PM you but not allowed, if you're interested and want more details please PM me. My site is in my profile if you want to check it's ok before PMing.

Thanks!

whichwitchisthis Thu 15-Oct-09 10:17:19

ooh yes please Wafflesnaffler will pm you now grin

Wafflesnaffler Thu 15-Oct-09 10:19:47

Curses, sorry think I have messed up I don't think it will work. Could you email me instead please admin@beautyjudge.com (hope I don't get banned for writing that) hmm

electra Thu 15-Oct-09 10:26:37

The solution is to wax! It hurts the first time but after that the pain gets less. My advice is take some nurofen beforehand!

Bleh Thu 15-Oct-09 10:31:12

I would recommend waxing as well. For trimming, I got the razor trimmer thingy they've been advertising on TV (you know the ad with all the shrinking bushes?) and it works quite well. The longer the hair, the more painful waxing is, just don't trim it too short.

ChristieF Thu 15-Oct-09 12:30:54

I read a second hand book from America about Women's health issues. They say that there is naturally a lot of bacteria in the groin area and when you shave that area you are spreading bacteria around. They suggest to use an antibacterial soap when you shave there. I use Carex antibac soap and that works great.

thatsnotmymonster Thu 15-Oct-09 12:39:59

I have the same problem. I used to get waxed but now I don't have the time/money/inclination...

Waxing was brilliant though and not that sore.

I am hijacking here a bit but I am sick of my leg hair- it is really coarse and grows back so quickly that my legs never feel smooth! Even after waxing, by the time the redness has gone down (next day) I already have stubble again. I am blonde but have hair that is very fine but loads of it. In each hair follicle in my legs I have about 3 hairs- one dark and coarse and then 1 or 2 very fine, light ones. Does anyone else have this? Probably not grin

thatsnotmymonster Thu 15-Oct-09 12:41:25

Also, I know you are meant to shave with the grain but it just doesn't work- you are left with loads of stubble- why?

whichwitchisthis Thu 15-Oct-09 12:56:36

I never shave my legs with the grain! always start from the ankle and move up towards the leg, works fine grin

I've had my eyebrows waxed but that;s about it not sure that I'd be brave enough, one of my friends did her own bikini line ages ago and it brought her up in blood blisters!! shock

Thingiebob Thu 15-Oct-09 13:03:31

After shaving - exfoliate. It prevents ingrowing hairs and bacteria.

Earlybird Thu 15-Oct-09 13:08:12

Waxing works for me. I also loofah well (and gently) before waxing, and every day after (until hair grows out a bit) as it helps prevent bumps/ingrowing hairs.

Go for a trial waxing session well in advance of your holiday to see if it is the solution to your problem. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

wheresmypaddle Thu 15-Oct-09 13:21:00

Do you need to get waxed a few days before you plan to wear bikini / swimsuit- or are you "good to go" the next day??

Also guys, honestly is it really really painful - have image of myself fleeing the beauticians couch after one rrrriiiipppp!!

whichwitchisthis Thu 15-Oct-09 13:37:04

lol yeah or trying really hard not to cry!

What do you wear when you go too just normal knickers or do they give those paper things to put on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now