Talk

Advanced search

First time hair-dyer - need to cover the grey - any advice please?

(3 Posts)
funwithfondue Mon 12-Oct-09 19:12:41

Almost a year after the birth of my dd, and my 30th, I've finally conceded I need to dye my hair.

It's long (to my bra strap), layered, and very dark brown - with increasing amounts of grey. I've never dyed it in my life (and it's always been long).

Question is, do I just buy an off-the-shelf dye and match it my colour, or should I invest in a hairdresser to do it for me the first time? I could afford a professional job once or twice, but will have to go down the DIY route eventually.

Also, my mum says that if I use an off-the-shelf hair dye it'll make my hair colour look 'flat', as it's only one shade. Is this right?

Thank you from a very scruffy, very tired, run-down Mummy who needs her once crowning glory restored for vital self-esteem reasons!

cocolepew Mon 12-Oct-09 19:19:51

Don't buy a dark brown dye, they're too dark, if you get one slightly lighter than your natural colour the grey strands will be lighter and look like lowlights grin. The 10 minute ones are great. Remember to put vaseline around your hairline first, then you won't dye your face.

said Mon 12-Oct-09 19:27:34

Use a semi-permanent first. Prolonged use of semis does make them become a little permanent but they do fade more naturally than permanents and avoid teh flat colour look (a bit)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now