Talk

Advanced search

AIBU if I wear something from Sainsburys for a wedding?

(20 Posts)
mysteryfairy Sat 10-Oct-09 13:37:19

SIL is getting married in a fortnight. I love shopping for my children but don't buy a lot for myself due to hating my awkward figure.

I have a lovely and oddly flattering never worn coat that I got from Oilily last Winter and I am planning to wear that. (It is a Winter afternoon wedding after all!) The trouble is that the coat is just a bit shorter than most of the skirts/dresses I would buy.

I bought a skirt from Sainsburys for work the other night and I do really like it. It is an above the knee brown cord flarey skirt. Crucially it is just short enough to wear under the coat.

AIBU to wear something from Sainsburys to a wedding? How likely is it that everyone will have spotted it in there when doing their grocery shopping?

nancy75 Sat 10-Oct-09 13:45:32

if it looks nice and you are happy in it then wear it. a plain skirt could be from anywhere - just make sure you dont have the sainsburys label hanging out and nobody will know grin

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sat 10-Oct-09 13:45:54

Provided you're not thinking of decking yourself out in Sainsbury's Basics Toilet Tissue, what is the problem?

mysteryfairy Sat 10-Oct-09 13:46:48

The coat is the top one in this link:

oilily coat

I also have the green one which is in the second picture down if that looks more weddingy?

nancy75 Sat 10-Oct-09 13:47:51

the brown one is more weddingy.

mwff Sat 10-Oct-09 13:47:53

no problem at all w/sainsbos, though tbh i'd always go for a skirt a few inches longer than a coat, to avoid looking like you're not wearing one at all (as someone who isn't me noted on a recent thread).

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 13:48:24

lol ADragon - would their posh super embossed stuff (the kind that clogs the drains) be OK?

mwff Sat 10-Oct-09 13:49:13

brown coat fab, def v weddingy

LaDiDaDi Sat 10-Oct-09 13:49:46

The top coat is lovely, smart and decorative.

What are you planning to wear with the skirt? It's not the fact that it's from Sainsbo that puts me off the sound of it for a wedding but the brown cord fabric, doesn't sound very weddingy to me.

mysteryfairy Sat 10-Oct-09 13:51:12

The skirt isn't completely plain. It has flowers appliqued on the front. It looks to me like it might be from Monsoon or somewhere like that. The main difference being it cost £15 (it did have 25% off) rather than £65.

Perhaps I need to be more dressed up? - It is a ceremony at 3 followed by one do i.e. there aren't separate afternoon and evening dos with an opportunity to change inbetween. I'm not sure what the form would be?

I'm just assuming it is low key as we had to make menu choices already and one of the choices was fish supper.

mysteryfairy Sat 10-Oct-09 13:56:31

I was planning to wear just a plain brown fitted jersey top. Does that make it even worse?

Ewe Sat 10-Oct-09 14:03:01

Fish supper can be quite poncey, I went to a wedding recently when that was one of the options and it was a very formal do at a polo club. Minted crushed peas, big skin on baked chips and an amazingly light battered cod with a lemon jus type thing, yum.

Agree that wearing something from Sainsbury's is fine but brown cord work type skirt doesn't sound smart enough to me.

tkband3 Sat 10-Oct-09 14:07:15

I wore a skirt from Sainsburys to a posh christening a while ago and got stacks of compliments on it - lots of people thought it was White Stuff.

I think I know the skirt you mean, as I admired it a few days ago...I think if you dress it up with a nice top and accessories, then it'll look fine.

mysteryfairy Sat 10-Oct-09 14:11:55

I'm feeling guily now.

I'm 5ft 10 and size 10 with small waist (more size 6-8 on waist) but v hefty around my bottom. I have a 32F chest so like to wear things that are low cut on top. I will be wearing flat ballet pumps or flat but dressy boots due to similarity in height between DH and myself.

Both Oilily coats I linked to are just my taste.

Can anyone suggest a day through evening outfit for this wedding for me that I can get on the high street or online?

I ordered this at one point -
boden dress

but it was unflatteringly high cut round neckline

cat64 Sat 10-Oct-09 14:32:32

Message withdrawn

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 10-Oct-09 14:35:14

crikey, as long as you don't wear the oilily trousers on the same link, you're winning!

But then, I'm all for feeling comfortable and confident at these things. Would you wear some jewellery or something to make it all less worky?

Ewe Sat 10-Oct-09 14:38:42

I think if you had a smarter top in a diff colour it would work... something like this?

mysteryfairy Sat 10-Oct-09 14:41:26

I've just been looking on the White Stuff site and there is some very nice stuff. There are a couple of dresses I like but I can't imagine wearing them again. There are loads of nice skirts but they are only as nice as my Sainsbos one and I would still probably underdress them with a plain top.

I guess part of my problem is that I bought the skirt on a Monday night shopping trip along with a load of frozen peas and (oddly enough) loo roll and such like. I got two new cardies plus two new skirts for under £40 thinking they would lift my boring winter work wardrobe which I have just switched over to and as they were in with loads of groceries I wouldn't even register paying for them!

mysteryfairy Sat 10-Oct-09 14:46:25

I do like the coast top, although it is not my normal style. Not sure I would dare wear it with brown though - will have to look at the colour of the appliquey flowers again (they might be bright pink...) and think about co-ordinating with those.

They only have that top left in a size 16 so wouldn't be able to get that particular one.

The trousers are a bit shocking. DD has had similar Oilily ones in the past (alas no more) but def best left to the under 10s!

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sat 10-Oct-09 14:57:32

There are some gorgeous autumn type colours in the coat envy I love it.
YANBU to wear anything from wherever you want. I wore a dress to a wedding recently from Primark and my snobby fashion concious sister thought it was a silk dress from Monsoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now