Talk

Advanced search

I want to get a dress copied, right down to the fabric - how do I do it?

(17 Posts)
MadameOvary Fri 09-Oct-09 15:34:19

Need to pick the brains of all you style mavens:

I have a much loved vest dress that I would like copied - its got a really good, simple print that hasn't dated in 20 years and I'd like to recreate it. How do I find someone who will recreate the fabric and print so I can get the dress copied? And will it cost a fortune?

MadameOvary Fri 09-Oct-09 17:25:05

Bump

3littlefrogs Fri 09-Oct-09 17:28:07

Do you have any contacts in the far east? It would still be pretty expensive though.

MadameOvary Fri 09-Oct-09 17:30:19

Sadly no. Do you know how much it would be roughly 3littlefrogs?

fishie Fri 09-Oct-09 17:31:38

you could probably find someone to copy the dress fairly easily. the fabric is another matter. what's it like? i do have one idea possibly...

prettybird Fri 09-Oct-09 17:36:29

Why not try contacting Sam's the Tailor in Hong Kong and see what they suggest.

Dh had a jacket and some shorts made to measure there many years ago and they realy were less than off-the-shelf M&S stuff.

3littlefrogs Fri 09-Oct-09 17:36:39

I think you would be talking around £100 - don't know about the material though.

The thing is that you can get stuff made very cheaply - a man's suit for around £10 for example, but the minute they know you want something copied, the price goes up. Also - if they can't really be bothered (copying is more difficult) they will quote you a huge price.

You might be better to try and source a similar pattern/material, rather than asking for a "copy" from an actual garment IYSWIM.

prettybird Fri 09-Oct-09 17:36:51

shirts blush

prettybird Fri 09-Oct-09 17:37:51

IIRC, I could have shown them a photo of something I liked and they would have made me a copy.

MadameOvary Fri 09-Oct-09 17:49:26

Thanks for that everyone, great advice. Its a really simple dress but the pattern makes it special I suppose. Yes I would be better to get a similar fabric otherwise I am going down a screen printing route!
Fishie, the fabric is cotton with a little stretch in it, the print is a simple repeating pattern, grey on darker grey.

BikeRunSki Fri 09-Oct-09 19:23:24

I had a dress copied by a local seamstress a few years ago. It was about £50 for her skills, but I had to provide the fabric, but I was a plain linen, so easyenough to find in market! She didn;t take any measurments from me, just copied the dress I already had. To be honest, the copied dress has never been quite right.

lynniep Fri 09-Oct-09 19:25:39

you can try spoonflower.com for fabric. its american but they ship to uk.

Romanarama Fri 09-Oct-09 19:28:05

I used to get things copied in the Far East all the time when I lived there. I wouldn't do it from a distance though as it always needs adjusting at least once after it's 'finished'.

MadameOvary Sat 10-Oct-09 09:45:26

BikeRunSki - £50 would be a bit much for what this is, and no, I dont think it can ever feel right.
lynniep - exactly what I was looking for - thank you!

Romanarama, good advice, thank you!

MadameOvary Sat 10-Oct-09 11:18:41

Ok I've been on Spoonflower and managed to order the fabric - getting a test swatch first. Thanks so much! grin

lynniep Sun 11-Oct-09 16:43:33

glad to be of help - only discovered it myself last week wink

EdgarAllenPoo Sun 11-Oct-09 17:21:13

go on holiday to thailand... taking the fabric with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now