Talk

Advanced search

FLY boot owners - I have some questions for you

(41 Posts)
NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 14:00:15

I know, I know, I well behind the times with this one...

I tried on some Fly boots yesterday and they were very very comfy. And rather lovely. I am still a bit shock at the price and more than a bit envy that I missed out on the Office Ridiculous Price sale that I witnessed via MN threads grin

If you actually have a pair of either Mes or Mol boots, could you answer a few questions for me, please? I only tried on the Mes but like the look of the Mol too but I need to justify the cost to myself...

Do you think they will be waterproof? It sounds a stupid question but I bought some lovely Josef Siebel shoes once that leaked massively through the stitching round the toes and it was horrible having soggy toes so I'm paranoid.

Do they mark easily? The first pair I tried on were pristine and gorgeous but then the second pair (in different shop, size 7 which was out of stock in first shop) were all scuffed and looked quite marked. I am a scruffbag and will clearly bash them up quite quickly.

The dark brown are absolutely gorgeous but does anyone have the tan? they look lovely and I have been on the look out for some shoes or boots in tan for ages so I'm really tempted but the issue of marking easily puts me off. Also not sure if I'd wear the tan Mol with skirts/dresses anyway for some reason?

Any thoughts on a preference between the Mes or the Mol? Given that I can't really justify more than one pair wink

Finally, anyone ever tried their shoes? I just found these and think they would be nice for work (wearing with black trousers, not sure what colour I would choose though.

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 14:01:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vacaloca Thu 08-Oct-09 14:07:53

I've had the Mes (or Mol, which ones are the short one?) for a year and I haven't had any problems with rain. I love my short ones and wear them with anything. Very comfy under trousers and look good with skirts and dresses too. They're the dark brown ones and rarely clean them blush.

I've now bought the longer ones in black from the Office sale and love them too. Haven't worn them in the rain yet.

I originally decided to go for the shorter ones because I wear trousers more often than skirts and the shorter ones are more confortable and you can still see the nice buckle at the bottom with trousers on, while the long ones look fairly plain if you cover them with trousers.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 14:09:05

Aaaaah, Ruby.... I feared as much.

That is a real shame. But probably rules them out sad

You think it doesn't matter (like with my experience) but actually it really does, esp when it rains like it has for the last two days here.

That's really disappointing.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 14:11:27

Oooh, vacaloca (doesn't that mean mad cow? apologies if not, my Spanish v rusty)... you don't find they leak if you are a clumsy oaf who regularly steps in massive puddles in the rain? Hm....

Totally see your point about the shorter ones. I'm thinking those ones too as I also mainly wear trousers.

Ladyatron Thu 08-Oct-09 14:14:39

you could spray them with waterproofing stuff?

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 14:15:39

FimboFortunaFeet Thu 08-Oct-09 14:16:41

I want the Mes in red <drools>, I can't get my heifer calves in the Mol's.

I have Fly sandals which are tres comfy.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 14:19:44

Ladyatron - I tried the waterproofing stuff on those Josef Siebel shoes and it really didn't help. The water still got in (through the stitching as I said). It was a shame as they were super comfy and lovely shoes otherwise...

I don't know if I'd dare risk it. If anyone tries it with the Fly boots, I'd love to hear the results.

vacaloca Thu 08-Oct-09 14:21:21

Your Spanish is very good smile. Maybe I've erased the lack of waterproofness from my memory because I love them so much, but I really don't think it's been a problem. I would have thought the spray would work if the problem is round the stitching.

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 14:22:47

NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 14:27:45

Woo hoo Ruby, thank you so much! Report back, I'm waiting to hear.

In the meantime, what about the Dr Martens wedge boot?

They look lovely and comfy and hopefully might be waterproof? They are £70 as well, so a little bit cheaper.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 14:28:58

I thought I'd linked to the red which is lovely, I think!

Rubyrubyruby Thu 08-Oct-09 14:29:15

lucykate Thu 08-Oct-09 14:31:52

i wore my brown mol's in the rain the other day, no leaks, but i did avoid puddles to be on the safe side. mine are the rugged ones so scuffs aren't really showing up as yet, just adding to the ruggedness! they did need breaking in but are now very comfy. i got the longer ones as i wear them mostly with tights and a skirt.

Thank you Norks! I saw a woman in town this morning with that very same pair in red on and you've just saved me a right old trawl

Lizzylou Thu 08-Oct-09 14:33:40

I have pretty much worn mine constantly since I got them a few weeks ago.
Very waterproof (I live in Lancashire, so they need to be), no marks (yet)I am also famously heavy on shoes/boots.
Mine are the office Mol ones, in black.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 08-Oct-09 14:36:15

I have both Mol and Mesblush

Mes are wide on the calf, and obviously shorter.

I wore them in the deluge rain we had yesterday and no leakage so far.

They are really comfy, look good with most things.

I have the petrol coloured Mes which do appear to mark quite easily but I think that adds to the effect of the lovely colour TBH.

The DM ones are nice too, I bought them last year, wore them all winter and they still look great. They are wider in the calf than the Mol and height wise, somewhere between the Mes and the Mol IYSWIM.

Jewelsandgems Thu 08-Oct-09 14:38:24

I have the Mes in red and find the Mol looks too chunky with dresses (I seem to wear dresses an awful lot, usually shorter ones with leggings) and the Mol look too chunky. If I was a knee length kinda person, I would think either would look great.

My mum has the Mol ones, and they are lovely.

lucykate Thu 08-Oct-09 14:42:31

i think the mol boots look nice with a more structured skirt, ie cord, denim, canvas etc, not sure they work quite as well with something a bit more floaty or a dress.

NorkilyChallenged Thu 08-Oct-09 14:54:47

Ooh, this is all so useful (but just makes me want about 4 pairs of boots....). Thank you everyone.

AVada - glad to be of use. Am still really liking them, will try them on next time I'm in town.

RIGHT - I didn't know there were different "types". What is all this "rugged" or "office" thing? I haven't noticed that in the hours of internet trawling my online searching..

TheGhostOfAMushroom Thu 08-Oct-09 15:09:07

I have Mols,...in dark brown, i wear them with everything,...skirts, jeans..whatever...I have a couple of marks on them,....it gives them character!!...ive had them for 2 years and they are still in great condition, and soooooo compfy..they look wicked with everything I wear!!..I wore them throughout my pregnancy too....love em!!...im wearing them now with my crocodile leather jacket!!..dh bought them for me for xmas.

unavailable Thu 08-Oct-09 16:38:09

I ordered the petrol mols a few weeks ago, when they were on special offer with Amazon. I knew I was taking a risk not being able to try them on, as I am quite widely calfed and have trouble with some other knee high boots.

They were very tight at first - even with the buckle on the first knotch, but they are good quality leather and have stretched!They are really comfy now. I love them, and wear them loads.

I have worn them in the rain and had no leakage problems.

I love the red ones too (I am going to drop hints for Xmas, as I cant justify buying another pair for myself.)

lucykate Thu 08-Oct-09 17:28:50

the rugged finish mols are in a matt, worn looking leather, office were selling off last years stock for £40 a pair. there were a couple of threads linking to them from mn a few weeks back, lots of people ordered them, but some had their order cancelled due to limited stock.

fizzpops Thu 08-Oct-09 22:04:38

I have the Dr Marten ones in red and had seen a review on Amazon that said they were not waterproof around the stitching.

I emailed Dr Martens and they confirmed this - I bought them anyway. Have not worn them yet but I am hoping they are saying this because the zip and stitching mean they can't guarantee they are totally waterproof and it won't be too much of a problem but they are covering themselves.

I do love them though... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now