Talk

Advanced search

What do we think of Banana Republic?

(15 Posts)
bibbitybobbityCAT Wed 07-Oct-09 19:13:02

I know they've only arrived in the UK relatively recently and I haven't been in to their shop yet.

I seem to recall an American friend describing them as "slightly more upmarket Gap".

Is that about right?

Is there likely to be anything in there for a short dumpy 47 year old?

Any experience?

Tia

MollieO Wed 07-Oct-09 19:14:32

I love BR, where are they? I used to live in NY and really liked their stuff. Definitely upmarket from Gap but not as smart as St John.

Slubberdegullion Wed 07-Oct-09 19:15:23

Love it love it love it. Are there anymore apart from the Regents street one?

girlwithapearl Wed 07-Oct-09 19:16:44

They are a lot more expensive than Gap. Have been to the shop in Regent Street. Very nice stuff - and they do a range for shorties (particularly useful for smart trousers). Good for work wear/smart casual.

JeMeSouviens Wed 07-Oct-09 19:17:06

We have one here. Their clothes look nice and smart (think business attire), but I find that they just don't fit very well. I have to choose items very carefully when I buy from them. They have FANTASTIC sales though, join their mailing list online if there is a UK one, often they have 40% off emails etc.. coming through.

Slubberdegullion Wed 07-Oct-09 19:18:33

Can you just not pop in for a butchers bibbity? It's (the regent street store) is lovely, very spacious with proper helpful staff who don't eye you up like a weirdy freak for not being a size 8.

GhoulsAreLoud Wed 07-Oct-09 19:21:37

I had some really nice trousers from there from when I was in Boston but they were such a strange fit I never really wore them.

They were great quality though.

bibbitybobbityCAT Wed 07-Oct-09 19:23:28

I could pop up to Regents Street, and I probably will Slubber, but tis nearly an hour bus ride each way and I don't really want to go if there's going to be nothing for me [lazy arse emoticon].

LilRedWG Wed 07-Oct-09 19:27:06

I have a fantastic suede jacket from there, from when we were childless, living in Denver and had money. Sigh.

Slubberdegullion Wed 07-Oct-09 20:09:09

Oh bibbity that is all a little defeatist isn't it?

Oh for an hours bus ride to Regents Street...
[dreamy dream]

Anyway if all the clothes are horrid (which they won't be) then there is the giant magnificence of John Lewis just round the corner. A trip to John lewis is never a trip and vain.

fishie Wed 07-Oct-09 20:16:04

they are owned by gap. i haven't ever bought anything there despite trying quite hard but i am not a smart dresser.

bibbity you must go to regent st, there are so many nice shops there. have you tried cos? hoss intropia?

TheHappyCat Wed 07-Oct-09 20:47:47

I adore it there. Clothes fit me perfectly so I guess you won't know til you try, and generously sized... still wins me over every time as silly as I know it is
Yes Petites may suit you!
I think it would really suit someone in their 40s. I am in early 30s and sometimes wonder if it is slightly too grown up for me. But it is perfect for everything other than knocking about with the kids.

OscarByTheSea Thu 08-Oct-09 18:28:59

I love BR. Some great things in there.

squeaver Thu 08-Oct-09 18:38:48

Great for work wardrobes and dressing up stuff.

Also good for casual - I only buy jeans there now.

Very very good quality.

I LOVE Banana.

European website although you can't buy from it

ashbrook Thu 08-Oct-09 21:00:24

Have to admit I think their quality has gone down hill big time. I remember racing to their store in the States a few years ago and loving the clothes. But last year in London and in New York I was seriously disappointed- thought the material and colours were cheap and dull.
They do however do excellent accessories- handbags in particular.

a x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now